Costcutter on the high street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
dickp

Costcutter on the high street

Post by dickp »

You know that empty shell of a property next to the (closed) Sydenham "Hypermarket"?

Well, it's going to be a Costcutter. There's a planning notice pinned up outside.

A new Subway AND a Costcutter in one year. The High Street really is, erm...going...somewhere..good..bad..can't decide...
Eagle

Re: Costcutter on the high street

Post by Eagle »

I thought there was a costcutter on the old hight street near Woodman. Surely not two of them
dickp

Post by dickp »

Yes, there is. It used to be a complete dump, but smartened up its act when Tesco turned up across the road.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Isn't that the third one now? Upper Sydenham and the one near the Hexagon HQ (if that is still open).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

One step forward, two steps back.
simon

Post by simon »

No Lee, not a step back

Costcutter are a franchise outfit that enables retailers to enter the market without a great deal of capital and then provides them with the economies of scale that a large chain enjoys. Spar was similar.

Franchisees put in a load of hours and build up their business and they have to cater to very local demand. As Dickp says the one on Kirkdale had to up its game when Tesco arrived.

My local Costcutter is run by Bangladeshis, as are many others. They do actually provide things local residents want; you can get your utilities card topped up until 10.30 and you can get six bottles of Stella for £5. They talk to people and sometimes give them credit. Through the parent company they also contribute to local community groups

http://www.makingadifferencelocally.com/

All that said, I think they will struggle with that site as previous occupants have. But it wont be through want of trying and I’ll bet the franchisees will be working 16 hour days to try and make a go of it.

Good luck to them.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Well said Simon!

We should be celebrating that people are actually willing to come to Sydenham to set up a business, it may not be what we would like to see in Sydenham but at least a business is going to set up and its one less empty shop on the High Street.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I've worked with franchises (or Symbol Groups) in the past. There are a few of them, Spar, some Budgens stores, Londis, Costcutter etc. You have to buy into the franchise. Speaking to the guys who ran a Spar near where I lived, they were fed up with them, they had problems with controlling the stock and the franchise rates were high, they wanted to go independent but sold up. They weren't that cheap either, they relied on special offers and local leafleting. There were 3 of them within a few minutes walk, all selling similar items for different prices!

We have 3 Costcutters. I don't think that's healthy for the high street. In order for our high street to be a diverse, exciting, more vibrant place we need more diverse, exciting, vibrant businesses. Hence my 'one step forward, two steps back' comment.

Talk to other traders, the independent ones and they will tell you a similar story. Look at the likes of Fresh and Fruity, or Billings. Established and new, both serving the community, one much loved and the other getting great reviews and is much talked about on this forum.

The whole 'anyone starting a business is a good thing' doesn't make sense to me. Lots of local businesses seem to pop up without really giving the area much thought. It's the same old 'there is a chicken place, I can buy a franchise, lets do another one'. We need a balance. Too many generic franchise or national brands and out high streets look like identikit places without any personality of their own.

We need to make Sydenham Road a destination to help local business owners like Amo, Mena, Chris, Louise, Raph, Angie etc. People don't come here from other areas. I met someone the other day who has lived in Sydenham for 10 years and has NEVER shopped on the high street.

Think of it this way, of the following statements, which one would be more likely to get you to shop in Sydenham?:

1. Hey, a new fishmonger has opened near us called Billings. It's great, Amo is really friendly, he's local. I got some fresh tuna from there the other day and tried their recipe of the day. He suggested...

2. Hey, a Costcutter opened in Sydenham today, their mushy peas are only 25p a can...

…and I love mushy peas.