Urbexing Possibilities in Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Seifer

Urbexing Possibilities in Sydenham

Post by Seifer »

Morning all,

I've gotten into a new hobby recently, something known as urbexing (urban exploration), which can be coined as a desire or wish to explore derelict, disused and abandoned places. I'm a huge history fan and this type of exploration does lend itself to seeing and experiencing parts of London, or the surrounding area that may otherwise have slipped unnoticed into abandon. Part of the exploration is painting a story with photos and researching whichever place I may like to go to.

What I'm curious, seeing the demise of the Greyhound, is what sort of places may be worth taking into account locally? I appreciate that some might frown on this sort of question, but I'm interested in knowing what treasures we have locally that I may have overlooked.

Cheers,
Steve
gurka

Re: Urbexing Possibilities in Sydenham

Post by gurka »

The only place that I know of is the old railway line / arches in sydenham hill woods........
Seifer

Post by Seifer »

gurka wrote:The only place that I know of is the old railway line / arches in sydenham hill woods........
That's more than I knew about. Thanks!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The old railway arches are great.
I think the old Dissenters Hall which I think now part of All Saints property is the oldest building in SE26.
SE23 has , of course , a Blue Plaque on the house used by George IV and his mistress , whilst good old Queen Adelaid opening her Pub in Penge.
Seifer

Post by Seifer »

Eagle wrote:The old railway arches are great.
I think the old Dissenters Hall which I think now part of All Saints property is the oldest building in SE26.
SE23 has , of course , a Blue Plaque on the house used by George IV and his mistress , whilst good old Queen Adelaid opening her Pub in Penge.
Is the Dissenters hall in use, and could I get permission to take a look at it?
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Afternoon, Steve.

The partner of the woman who lived below me when I lived in Forest Hill used to do this kind of thing, and I was invited to tag along on a couple of occasions. I went along to the notorious Cain Hill Asylum in Surrey, but we just had a nose about and didn't take any pictures or write-down any observations. It was still pretty spooky, nonetheless. At my archery club in Kent there's an entrance to a network of concrete tunnels and rooms that we're told were owned by the M.O.D, and that during the '60s they were used to house signal-jamming equipment to try and block pirate radio stations. There's a large steel door covering it now, but some of the older members who've been down there say there's nothing worth seeing. Some of the guys on the paintballing circuit go 'urbexing', but from what I've heard, if there's no security to evade it gets a bit boring after a while.

Although having said all that, I can't think of anywhere unique or even remotely interesting in Sydenham or Forest Hill that's abandoned. But I've always wanted to have a look around in the athletes' accomodation block in Crystal Palace Park.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Does 'urbexing' also include sussing out property for squatting?

The tunnel between the woods (previously k/a The North Wood I think) and where its other end is blocked at Wells Park has always seemed really scarey.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Hill Dweller wrote:Does 'urbexing' also include sussing out property for squatting?
No. As far as I'm aware, it's more about the exploration and sensation of being inside a building that's been abandoned for a lengthy period of time. The more controversial the building is/was (power station, ex-military or a jail etc...), the more interest. Besides, anyone with a couple of brain cells is capable of keeping a building under varying degrees of observation to ascertain whether or not it's unoccupied.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I'm sure you know that lots of 'meanings' get widened.

I never minded the old chap there was a convo about a couple of weeks ago, the one who had a board on 'his' fence outside a little ruin on Syd Hill ..... showing his address. In fact I wondered how he'd cope if ever moved in to more 'civilised' surroundings. Given that I've not seen him out walking for a long time (and I used to quite often) I hope it doesn't suggest 'not very well'.

Sooooo, squatting per se isn't the issue....... calm down :!:
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Hill Dweller wrote:I'm sure you know that lots of 'meanings' get widened.
I can't see how anyone could misinterpret what I've previously quoted you on. It's black and white. Squatting is the illegal occupation of a building. 'Urbexing', on the other hand, is primarily focused on exploring/trespassing, not seeking a place to live. What other possible meaning could you have had in mind?

Furthermore, who's not calm?
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

When I was a kid some friends and I discovered the old ticket office at Crystal Palace Perade which also led down to the old train tunnel. we used to go down there sometimes but the place got overun by glue sniffing skin heads, we ended up running for our lives which was terrifying. funny how you develop a second wind whilst being chased by evostick intoxicated facsists.

Scary as hell and we never went back.

They built houses on the waste land and the tunnel is now blocked up with metal sheets.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I asked a question about 'sussing out' BBW, not about actually doing something.

I'm sure Seifer has gotten enough nouse to answer for him/herself and might even acknowledge the legitimacy of the question, no need for you to do so for them (hence my 'calm down').

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Urbexing :wink:

Sydenham Hill itelf, as can be seen from various threads about the histories of various estates (or whereabouts of their owners) has lots that's ripe for the plucking as well as being puzzling AND it's sad to think of so much going to waste. I doubt that either of two large estates discussed recently (that are both up for sale I think) are likely to be bought privately.

Edit: Grrrrrr..... or even IS.
Seifer

Post by Seifer »

Hill Dweller wrote:Does 'urbexing' also include sussing out property for squatting?

The tunnel between the woods (previously k/a The North Wood I think) and where its other end is blocked at Wells Park has always seemed really scarey.
I think this is a very legitimate question and, if I'm really honest there is perhaps some element of it with some people. Some of the urbexing community have gotten themselves bad press for being too aggressive, or breaking and entering into places where there's no real need. The abusive, offensive and illegal attitudes are frowned upon as they often tar the rest of us curious souls (like me) with a stigma that is hard to shake.

The basic concept is that of exploring, take only photos and leave only footprints, in essence. In my past, I've spent hours checking out a place, to see if its' worthwhile for exploring in. The rules we try and live by are along the lines of: -

1 - NO breaking and entering, only gain access via natural means or those currently present (Caine Hill as previously mentioned is a very good example).
2 - No aggravated trespassing.
3 - Taking nothing from anywhere we go, as this is also a criminal offence
4 - Showing proper respect to the area, it's history and current situation.

For me personally, having travelled quite widely, I'm wanting to explore my own area. I'm sure there's heaps of areas I've not considered but I want to start locally and to see what comes up in my travels.

I quite like the idea of the old Palace Train Tunnel, but it's a pity its all closed off now.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Hi Seifer, thanks for the update. I like the 'hit da brix' in my link :lol: some things are just so daft.

Enjoy the tunnels, we have a mile-long one that's still in use as well as the redundant one underneath the woods. I doubt you could enter the one from Crystal Palace Stn as that's also still in use ...... but it's an incredible height. HtH did those guys do it, 120+ years ago :o

People went to an incredible amount of trouble back then, siting tracks as un-noticeably as possible, unlike those in US that are right on the street....... much easier to repair!
Seifer

Post by Seifer »

Some of that particular syntax is quite amusing.

I thought it was impossible to get into the closed off one? If not, I'd love to take a look.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Sorry for misleading, there were two stations in Crystal Palace, one under the old 'palace' :( itself and that's closed. The other is quite an elegant station, very high and still in use.

You could look at the very long / old thread about the area itself, crammed with people much more informed than I am.
chris_thomas

Post by chris_thomas »

There's the Gipsy Hill Nuclear Bunker:

http://sockmonkey2.blogspot.com/2009/03 ... house.html

& of course the Crystal Palace High Level Foot tunnel:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/tunnelbase/si ... ndex.shtml
jmc

Post by jmc »

Seifer wrote:
Hill Dweller wrote: I quite like the idea of the old Palace Train Tunnel, but it's a pity its all closed off now.
The two tunnels abandoned railway tunnels under the Norwood Ridge are "bat roosts". Going in there without the appropriate licence or the presence of a licence holder, would almost certainly result in a criminal offence.

You can see the approximate path of the tunnels on this map [link]. The Paxton Tunnel is the pinkish dotted line starting north Spinney Gardens. Follow the map north east and you'll see the path of the Crescent Wood Tunnel that ends in Sydenham Hill Woods. Some old pics of tunnels can be seen here [link 1] [link 2]. The website has links showing pics of the other tunnel entrances

I've been in both tunnels this winter and their pretty stunning structures. It's a real shame people can not easily see them. The old subway under Crystal Palace Parade is often open to the public, but apart from that there is not many opportunities for urbexing in our area.

Used to be another Nuclear Bunker (look-out post) in Dulwich & Sydenham Golf Club, but club got permission a decade ago to turn into a giant water tank

Always been interested by whats in the abandoned rooms you find under some railway stations. Crystal Palace Station is good example, but having a look would be a "criminal" trespass.