Crystal Palace stadium re-development?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

What is the least worst option for the old athletics stadium

Rebuilt by CPFC as a football stadium
64%
Rebuilt by Spurs as an athletic stadium
36%

Total votes: 39

Duke of Clarence

Re: Crystal Palace stadium re-development?

Post by Duke of Clarence »

DickP & ALIB. This proposal has already been promoted to the powers that be and presented as though it has unanimous support. Now whilst it does have strong support from fans, I think you'll find the majority of non-CPFC supporters who live in the areas that will be impacted upon by the needs of the stadium users have not been consulted.

The idea that only those supporting this proposal are progressive is ridiculous. There is nothing progressive about building a massive corporate complex on public park land. And what's so progressive about proposing a development that will attract thousands of cars to an area that already suffers from congestion and parking stress?

And I don't think you have to worry about the lobbying, the supporters of this scheme are already been championed by the multi million £££ consortium that is CPFC2010. Money talks you know!

Although it will be Bromley's planning committee who will decide the outcome of any proposal, representations from the Mayor's office and the LDA will be made. If you are happy with the current position they are taking then do nothing, if however you are not then let them know.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

It's all about the merchandising and other profit possibilities that the consortium members' other businesses will gain from if CPFCLtd acquires the association with such a historic area.

I heard a report recently about a little boy whose grandparents spent almost £100 on his Chelsea FC Xmas gifts which included a shirt with the name of the player that was sold a few weeks later .....

There's nothing progressive about such merchandise ploys...... and apologies again ALIB if your post was TiC (I don't know the history re the other forum).

Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Ooops the vote choices are now different !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hill Dweller wrote:Ooops the vote choices are now different !
Outdated: Maybe. Different: No.

Admin
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Wasn't meaning you'd changed them :!:

Spurs are now out of the running, I suppose the choices now come down to being turned into a theme park and hotel complex after years of excavation and dust and building and noise (so long as the consortium don't go bankrupt and walk away :( vs: staying as a daft park with monsters, maze and fishing lake :)
paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

"vs: staying as a daft park with monsters, maze and fishing lake"

Sums it up perfectly. That's what makes CPP so delightful. All it needs now is the tree top walkway that was part of the big proposal. Can't see that happening though. Pity.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Here is a copy of an email I've just sent to the Mayor of London:

Proposed new Crystal Palace Football Club stadium in Crystal Palace Park

I understand that the CPFC's plans to build a new stadium in Crystal Palace park will be considered in due course by the planning authorities in the London Borough of Bromley. I also understand however that your view on the issue may be sought and may carry some weight. I am therefore writing to you to ask to use your influence to ensure that one particular aspect of the proposal is taken properly into account.

This is the effect that a new stadium would have on car parking, not only in the immediate vicinity but more widely and in particular on parts of Lewisham, especially Sydenham (which is where I live). One theoretical solution would obviously be to set up a controlled parking zone covering a wide area - I understand that a circle with a radius of two miles and with the ground at its centre has been suggested - which, I gather, is what usually happens around big football stadiums. But even that would cause substantial inconvenience and (presumably) expense to, potentially, a very large number of residents in Sydenham and elsewhere; I have personal knowledge of this via a relative who lives near the Arsenal ground. And there would presumably be an indirect knock-on effect on street parking beyond the CPZ itself.

The proposal does of course have other potentially adverse effects on the local community, and I therefore hope you will challenge it vigorously.

I am writing in similar terms to Sir Steve Bullock, the Mayor of Lewisham, and to Jim Dowd, MP for Lewisham West and Penge.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I've never had the feeling Boris (or Ken before him) has much sympathy for car owners / drivers though Robin. :(

Doing some (cough) eventual tidying up I came across a Standard back page ( :x from Jan 20th) with the artist's impression and text.
I've googled this portable version of it which seems to be from an action group :

http://www.crystalpalacecampaign.org/N3 ... adium.html
Syd_Stone

Post by Syd_Stone »

http://palacemag.co.uk/news/palace-boss ... les-views/

Not much that's new, apart from the exhibition bit - which might be tied into the roof idea. At least he's talking to people, albeit other business folk.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Here's Jim Dowd's reply to my email (see my posting of 26 February)
Thank you for your e-mail regarding Crystal Palace Football Club’s initial proposals for Crystal Palace Park. I must apologise for the delay in this reply.

As you are aware the plans produced by the football club are very much in the preliminary stage and a great deal of consultation has yet to be carried out. I will certainly give all sides and all arguments a fair hearing as I anticipate a great deal of correspondence on this matter in the coming months however, at this moment in time, and at this stage of the planning procedures, I am not willing to make a judgement on the merits of the scheme as a whole. I am grateful for your views on the proposed scheme and its impact on car parking in the local area and I will certainly bear these arguments in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me about this matter, which may well be very significant for Lewisham West and Penge
Duke of Clarence

Post by Duke of Clarence »

Robin Orton wrote:Here's Jim Dowd's reply to my email (see my posting of 26 February)
Thank you for your e-mail regarding Crystal Palace Football Club’s initial proposals for Crystal Palace Park. I must apologise for the delay in this reply.

As you are aware the plans produced by the football club are very much in the preliminary stage and a great deal of consultation has yet to be carried out. I will certainly give all sides and all arguments a fair hearing as I anticipate a great deal of correspondence on this matter in the coming months however, at this moment in time, and at this stage of the planning procedures, I am not willing to make a judgement on the merits of the scheme as a whole. I am grateful for your views on the proposed scheme and its impact on car parking in the local area and I will certainly bear these arguments in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me about this matter, which may well be very significant for Lewisham West and Penge
And here's what Jim said earlier; quote form the CPFC press conference of 20th January 201:

Jim Dowd MP for Lewisham West and Penge, who’s constituency contains the park has also
been consulted and he said:
“Crystal Palace FC is a vital part of the community here in our corner of South East London just as professional football clubs are throughout the country. The possibility to return to their original “home” and thus achieve long term security together with providing a sustainable future for the Stadium site is an opportunity that is unlikely ever to occur again and thus it must be given every chance to succeed. Although there are many legitimate
questions to be raised and answered before any progress can be made I am grateful for the openness the Club have shown and for the opportunity I have had to meet with them to discuss the proposal. I hope very much that it is possible to achieve a solution which will benefit the whole area.”

Other reportage has the Right Honourable Member gushing support for the relocation despite the lack of detail and public consultation.
dickp

Post by dickp »

To be fair to them, councillors can't win on this type of issue.

If they refuse to offer their initial reaction, they are accused of being evasive.

If they do offer their initial reaction, they are accused of jumping the gun, before the facts are known.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Here is a reply I have had from the Mayor of London's office. Only Sir Steve to come now.
The Mayor has asked me to reply on his behalf to your email regarding Crystal Palace Football Club.

No planning application for a new stadium in Crystal Palace Park has been referred to the Mayor by Bromley Council. If and when one is referred, the matters you raise will be considered in full by the Mayor.

CPFC may request to discuss its proposals with the GLA in advance of a planning application being submitted, and both GLA and TfL officers will raise parking and other issues at that time. There are likely to be significant obstacles to a large stadium, even if on the site of the National Sports Centre, but it would be wrong to pre-judge any proposal at this stage.

Giles Dolphin
Assitant Director - Planning
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

All I can say is I have lived near two major football stadiums in my life and it's a real pain I can assure you.

You basically cannot go anywhere for at least an hour prior to the match and an hour after the match and this have to plan your day accordingly.

Some fans seem to delight in using people's front garden as a tip/toilet.

I really really hope this does not go ahead.
groovy

Post by groovy »

Whatever happened to the, frankly, mad plans for redevelopment of the Park. I seem to recall there were plans for massive greenhouses, sunken gardens etc.

We need to get rid of all of the concrete around the Sports Centre but some of the other ideas were a bit bonkers.