Squatters have just moved in

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Savvy

Squatters have just moved in

Post by Savvy »

... to the building on Westwood Hill next door to the old peoples home. I looked up and there they were, five males, one child and one bull terrier, white van, furniture being moved in as we speak. I rang the police and watched them turn up, look at the gate and drive away. Apparently the squatters have posted a notice claiming their rights. I was advised to ring the council and they said 'ring back on Monday, this is the emergency service'. I said 'so someone breaking into your propert right now is not an emergency'. Apparantly not.

Hey ho.
Eagle

Re: Squatters have just moved in

Post by Eagle »

I have never understood the so called rights of squatters ( people who want something for nothing so take what does not belong to them)

Police should be able to evict them right away.

Not sure which Old People's Home you refer to , I assume not Old Cedars as just in Kirkdale.

This is a disgrace but why should I be surprised. You have done everything possible .
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Generally, I don't have a problem with a bunch of art students or vegetarians occupying local authority housing, but squatting in privately owned property is taking the piss.

The official channels that exist to combat squatters occupying an empty building are very drawn-out and arduous proceedures; not to mention favouring the squatters themselves. My advice would be to get a few lads together, secrete a half dozen snooker balls in a sturdy sock or two, and clear the place out with a bit of aggressive persuasion. It is expected that you then reward your unofficial bailiffs with a half-evening's entertainment at a local drinking establishment. If, however, you'd rather avoid any potentially violent confrontation, you should wait until it's dark and then gas them out like badgers.
Last edited by bigbadwolf on 5 Mar 2011 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

....or just play Michael Bolton non-stop through mega speakers at 'em :twisted:
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Ooooh let's band together and put a massive hex on them, along the lines of hoping that when they do get chucked out they find that wherever they vacated has also been claimed .....

I also used to empathise with squatters at the time when there were ridiculous numbers of empty properties because taxes then made that a profitable situation. Then I read about the people squatting a place adjacent to where I used to live in Brixton, who'd been there so long they'd acquired literal squatters' rights and then sold it for millions.

A beautiful old house next door to where I am now was squatted and by the time it was opened up for the owners it had been stripped of lovely old fittings and trimmings :cry:
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Voyageur wrote:....or just play Michael Bolton non-stop through mega speakers at 'em :twisted:

:lol:
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

If they start "stripping" fixtures and fittings then they become burglars and police can go in and get them out (by arresting them) without warrant.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:idea: I think getting into and occupying an empty house should be classed as theft! whoever came up with this idea of poor harmless squatters looking after a property for some poor hapless owner should be taken out and shot!
Its not theirs! they should not be there!
Simple!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said Annie.
These parasites should earn what they have.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

This Telegraph article seems relevant:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... e-law.html

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have reda the article Chris. How can it not be a crime to enter another premises without their permission.
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

I'm sure all squatters are not simply thieves.

Some do have a legitimate point to make. Aren't the group (chap photo'd) in the Telegraph article the ones who'd been in 'Fitzrovia' for a couple of years, close by Malcom McLaren's old place ... running something like a posh commune ?

There is a lot wrong with buildings being left empty when we actually have so many homeless and surely it's in owners' interests (IF they are socially-minded) to set up short-term renewable tenancies (with caretakers if necessary)?

Despite the above I will not be rejoicing that the empty building at Sydenham has been taken over by a gang sounding like the one described.

Savvy

Post by Savvy »

...they're there now, lights ablazing. Do they have to pay for electricty? I doubt it. They've probably put the heating on aswell. The council should have cut off the amenities when it became empty.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

As far as I am aware Utility companies have the right to enter the premises and should disconnect water , gas etc.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:(
They won't be allowed to turn off the utilities Eagle---------Human rights will see to that!
what idiots we are to pay our way all these years, working hard for what we have got!
How my mum and dad suffered to bring up their children to be law abiding citizens,
needn't have bothered, it seems in this country of ours crime doe's indeed pay!l
I find it hard to understand how if you take something that belongs to someone else its not classed as theft?
Sorry I guess I live in a different world to others.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I think you have summed it up. Society today seems to accept criminal acts with very little concern.
The can be no excuse for The Police not entering , evicting and imprisoning the offenders.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

but squatting, in itself, isn't a crime....
Hill Dweller

Post by Hill Dweller »

Does anyone know the property is council-owned and what it has to do with them?

I think that by default properties that have been empty for 10yrs and show no sign of being owned by a living person should become so but - as far as I know - that's not yet so.

If evidence is made of electicity being used I suppose that's proof that crime is being committed as I doubt that people that would stake their claim on a gate / fence etc will have signed up for the utilities / council tax.

mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Which house is it? It's not Willow Lodge (no.11) is it?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If it is not a crime should be the first job of the HOC .

Seems if you forget to lock a window and someone gets in then you have lost your home.