Upper Norwood Library

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hazy

Upper Norwood Library

Post by hazy »

Quick rant. I popped into Upper Norwood Library this afternoon, since I was in the area and needed a couple of books. Neither my Bromley nor my Lewisham Library Card were acceptable and I was unable to join as I did not have two official letters/bills to my current address and dated within the last three months. I did, however, have my driving licence card, passport, 2 other library cards, credit and bank cards, 72 loyalty cards and a cuddly toy. In the current climate of library closures, is it really sensible to make it so difficult to join a local library? Just saying.
bigbadwolf

Re: Upper Norwood Library

Post by bigbadwolf »

It's a private library that's funded by a trust or charity (I'm not sure which) and thus falls outside of the authority of any council. This means they will require more than the usual assurances.
hazy

Post by hazy »

It's jointly funded by Croydon & Southwark. Even if it wasn't it seem a little shortsighted making it so difficult to join esp in the current climate when they should (surely?) be encouraging the local community to use it as much as poss. & I had my driving licence AND passport. I'm assuming they only stock first editions. S'ok tho I'll stick with Sydenham.
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

You're part right, it's funded by Croydon and Lambeth (not Southwark) councils; but it's not part of either borough's library service. It has its own policies and procedures and is managed by a Joint Committee of councillors (four from each borough).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

A taste of things to come. Welcome to the DIY Society.