Scary Facebook

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Tim Lund

Scary Facebook

Post by Tim Lund »

This morning I was excited to see my potatoes coming through, so I took a photo and, as is my way, posted it to Facebook. Here they are:

Now, not wanting to help enrich Mark Zuckerberg, from time to time I close all the sponsored adverts that pop up, and don't bother give any feed back as to why. I then wonder what they'll try to tempt me with next, presumably based on what I post.

And today it was scary, because there was something about visiting where "The Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea". Now, not a lot of people know this, but the lyrics of "The Mountains of Mourne" refer explicitly to London, and growing potatoes
Oh, Mary, this London's a wonderful sight,
With people all working by day and by night.
Sure they don't sow potatoes, nor barley, nor wheat,
But there's gangs of them digging for gold in the street.
So, is Facebook that smart that it recognised these as potatoes, and that it was posted from London?
mummycat

Re: Scary Facebook

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 17 Jul 2011 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
steviepowers

Post by steviepowers »

Well I have had similar incedents with Facebook adds myself. One time I was thinking about a pair of shoes... and the thing is I didn't google them or do any kind of search for them on the internet, (not that I can phsically recall of) and then suddenly there they were in the little add pop that exact pair (mind you different colour and all that) but that actually brand and model of shoes I was thinking in my head.... I don't know it's kinda creepy and I wouldn't go as far as to completely dismiss that facebook is actually that smart!
Last edited by steviepowers on 3 May 2011 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

What I want to know now is whether either of those snails cavorting in Mummycat's chives was blushing :D
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 17 Jul 2011 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
michael

Post by michael »

steviepowers wrote:Well I have had similar incedents with Facebook adds myself. One time I was thinking about a pair of shoes...and then suddenly there they were in the little add pop that exact pair
A lot of people under-estimate Facebook's new behaviour enhancement capability that will subliminally make you purchase new shoes, plant potatoes, or start revolutions across the Middle East. Don't you remember all the stories about Facebook controlled by the CIA? We are all now just pawns in their plan to take over the world, from the gardens of Sydenham to the deserts of North Africa.
stuart

Post by stuart »

michael wrote:Don't you remember all the stories about Facebook controlled by the CIA? We are all now just pawns in their plan to take over the world, from the gardens of Sydenham to the deserts of North Africa.
Oooh I could do with a no-fly zone in my garden. Would that include wasps?

Stuart
steviepowers

Post by steviepowers »

michael wrote:
steviepowers wrote:Well I have had similar incedents with Facebook adds myself. One time I was thinking about a pair of shoes...and then suddenly there they were in the little add pop that exact pair
A lot of people under-estimate Facebook's new behaviour enhancement capability that will subliminally make you purchase new shoes, plant potatoes, or start revolutions across the Middle East. Don't you remember all the stories about Facebook controlled by the CIA? We are all now just pawns in their plan to take over the world, from the gardens of Sydenham to the deserts of North Africa.
Sorry but I think your maybe overeacting a little bit... I mean I may have exadurated my story a little bit for the public... but the reality is at some point somewhere on my computer I must have left a track for Google to follow, either that or this is a complete freak of nature coencedence! I don't think Facebook is controlled by the CIA it's an online social networknig business that makes more money that the CIA, and the idea that Facebook starts revolutions in the middle east come on... are we not going abit too far here? :?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I think Michael had his tongue firmly in his cheek.

I've noticed in the last six months that if I have recently searched for a product online, banner ads in other websites will immediately be focused on those items. These ads are pretty useless because they show me all the stuff I've already looked at, usually from the same websites.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mummycat

Post by mummycat »