Sydenham Town Bonfire Party

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
admin
Site Admin

Sydenham Town Bonfire Party

Post by admin »

This is addresed to all the saddos here who have yet to be invited to a bonfire party.

The Dolphin - 8pm, Sunday November 5th!

It will be the last night of the Dolphin before it closes for refurbishment. They are having a firework party, karaoke and god knows what else. I'm not sure whether this is a fiendish plan to burn the place down before Michael & Vileta gastronome it. But if you want to see what it was like or be prepared to extinguish the flames with some recycled ale or just meet some of us other Sydenham Town folk - make a date and bring some sparklers.

I've got a yes from Julwz - any more? Just post a reply here ...

Admin
Last edited by admin on 6 Nov 2006 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Does that mean I'm the top saddo? :cry:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No one has ever challenged me on that before! Its either anoraks at dawn or I'm afraid you will have to make do with No.2 position Juwlz!

Admin
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Yes, unless otherwise requested :wink:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Look out fo a pink FT for those that don't know me ...

Admin (aka Stuart)
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Now out Stuart. I nipped in for a quick drink on Friday on the way home and think that was quite penance enough thank you. I may decide otherwise nearer the time but would prefer to meet you and others when it's been done up - not in the sorry state it is now.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Wasn't aware of this event; only saw the post today (too short notice). Oh well, looks like I'll have to wait until November 30th for my fireworks; there's always next year for viewing a standard display! :wink:

Anyway, please let us know how everything goes...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

About 6 folks turned up to be assaulted by the loudest karoke we have ever heard. Introducing ourselves to each other was nigh impossible so we quickly beat our individual retreats.

Two of us thought we would try a Sydenham pub we had never been to. So we trolled down to the Prince Alfred (see here http://sydenham.org.uk/news_st_christophers_amazon.html for a recent article). It was terribly old fashioned and stuffed with amazing variety of almost anything you can imagine - including a canoe embedded in the ceiling!

It seemed much smaller on the inside and had a wonderfully intimate atmosphere and a friendly and attentive barmaid. There was real Abbott on tap and a shelf full of some most delicious and rare Scottish Malts. Oh - and toasties at £1.50. Worth a visit but make sure if you are wearing a football shirt - it belongs to QPR if you want to get out alive ...

Admin
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I went in that Prince Alfred about a week ago just to use the toilet!* It was really cramped and claustrophobic with a suffercating smoky atmosphere. The British pub culture is really not my scene at all, although the Dulwich Wood House is pretty decent, as well as one Weather-Spoons based place in Forest Hill. However, when they ban smoking, you'll be seeing a lot more people like me going into these places I bet...
It was terribly old fashioned and stuffed with amazing variety of almost anything you can imagine - including a canoe embedded in the ceiling!
Your interpretation is spot on mate... good description!

So, did you get to see any fireworks? The evening turned out alright?

*I remember going into a pub in Catford and asking "is it okay if I use the toilet please? I can buy a soft drink or something..."
And the bar attendant responded "This is a Public House; of course you can come in anytime to use the toilet! You don't have to buy anything..."
So ever since then I've had the confidence to just walk in and out of those places... :D
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

admin wrote:About 6 folks turned up to be assaulted by the loudest karoke we have ever heard. Introducing ourselves to each other was nigh impossible so we quickly beat our individual retreats.
I have to say if you think that was bad Stuart you should have been in there on Friday when it was Disco evening...my ribcage was reverberating from 1000 paces!. I had just popped in for the same before and after reason as yourself and beat the same very hasty retreat.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Greg - Sorry not to meet you last night. Did you get my last PM?

Admin