Spooky house on Venner Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Jeannie

Spooky house on Venner Road

Post by Jeannie »

Hello!

Does anyone know the history, if there is one, of 88 Venner Road? It looks like some kind of 1940's New Orleans'y type of house. I can just imagine singing spirituals outside! My partner and I are scared of walking outside it late at night because it is always dark and looks spooky...

Any ideas?
leaf

Post by leaf »

i dont know much about it and its been a while since ive been down that road,but im sure that house was discussed on another thread on here?
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Yes, it was discussed on the

"VENNER ROAD 'CROFTON LODGE' DETACHED VILLA"

thread
leaf

Post by leaf »

http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... af00fddaf3

this thread has more info on that house.
leaf

Post by leaf »

just had another read through,not that much info really!

i think i'll walk pat there tmrw......if im brave enough!

*now that could be a great location for next years halloween adventure!
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

does anyone dare go trick or treating there?
leaf

Post by leaf »

can you just imagine lurch[adams family-or is it the munsters?]opening the door!!
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

leaf

Post by leaf »

:lol:
robotfish

spooky?

Post by robotfish »

I was walking my kids up Venner Road one day and a neighbour stopped me to chat. Her ulterior motive was to try and make me take her dried chinese lantern flowers home for my wife. I digress. She lives roughly opposite 88 (and used to have a wild uncultivated but rather lovely front garden - but her husband has made her cut it back so they can park on it...grrr...I digress again).
The point is..err..oh yes. An old chap lived there until recently but died. He had neither the means nor energy to keep the house in any kind of order. The newer houses on either side used to be part of 88's garden. The rear garden is small, and mostly taken up by garages. The neighbour in question seemed to think that the house would be sold soon.

It is obviously occupied to some extent though - the front lawn is always trim, and the lights are on sometimes at night. (On Novemeber 5th I happened to pass by - again with the kids - attempting to give them a taste of fireworks night without the inconvenience of blowing my right arm off. The lights were on then.)

My oldest son (Stan, 3 1/2) has know it as the Ghost House ever since we moved to Venner Road last October. We had to hex it on Halloween.

I think it would make a great Wild West Saloon and Cathouse myself. Come on Lewisham (or is it Bromley) council: liberate those laws! My walk home from work would be so much more invigorated by a cheeky wink from a painted lady hanging from a first floor window! :wink:
leaf

Post by leaf »

maybe i'll buy it and paint it pink so it isnt scary anymore!!

no doubt it'll be sold and redeveloped into flats :?
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

It always reminds me of the Amityville Horror house - it'd be such a shame for it to be sanitised.

I hope someone with a sense of fun buys it and plays up to it's character. It's reminded me of this I read about a novel halloween display.

http://laughingsquid.com/2006/10/28/pla ... n-display/

But that's probably just my warped sense of humour....
leaf

Post by leaf »

that is twisted!

but to buy that house and make a feature of it........................
it would be great as an attraction,a themed attraction,think of the revenue!

*im getting silly now
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Me too.... but it doesn't take too much encouragement!
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

I walked past this house a few days ago and looks like it's being done up / developed......

The house I find scary is the one on Newlands Park that is covered in ivy and pigeons. Now and again there is a light on in one window but the rest of the house is deathly dark and quiet.......
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

88 Venner Road, 27-Dec-1972.

I think this is the one? :D
Jules

Post by Jules »

I imagine the house will be developed into flats. It sold for £935,000.
Can't imagine anyone with that kind of money would choose to live in Venner Road, there are much nicer streets in Sydenham with houses that price.
hopefully it wont change too much.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Jules, how did you find out about the sale? Is it advertised anywhere with photo's? How I would love to see the inside of that house.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

According to www.houseprices.co.uk (which records Land Registry data) it was sold in March for the figure Jules mentioned, so I don't suppose it will feature on any estate agency websites by now.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Savvy being a really nosey lady I get regular e-mails of recent property sales, which gives addresses and prices.