sleepless in sydenham: good work, lewisham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
charlie

sleepless in sydenham: good work, lewisham

Post by charlie »

So Lewisham council think it’s perfectly okay to set up a building site on a residential street in the middle of the night. I live at the Mayow Road end of Earlsthorpe Road, and as I type (nearly half-past midnight) there’s a JCB, several huge trucks and god-knows-how-many other machines merrily working away with their reverse signals on full blast, flashing their lights and dumping stuff in the road while the workmen yell at each other like they’re in the middle of the M1. I’ve tried talking to them. I called environmental health, who came out to talk to the foreman, asked him when it was ending, but couldn’t hear his answer through the din. Apparently we should’ve been sent a letter. Even if we were sent this letter, what were we supposed to do? Check into a hotel, at the council’s expense? God knows when we’re going to get some sleep. We’re just sat here praying that the baby stays asleep. And the best part? They’re doing it tomorrow night too.
This is resurfacing – not the repair of a burst gas main or something, you know, life-threatening. As we all know, that stretch of road has been closed plenty of times during the day in the past without a second’s thought. Yet apparently these works are so important that they’re worth keeping up half a street for 2 nights – probably more, if past form is anything to go by. Honestly, how is this even allowed?