Similar messageboard for Penge?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Similar messageboard for Penge?

Post by admin »

stone-penge wrote:What do they need one for?
They already have a Waitrose.
SP: You owe me a fairly traded coffee & new keyboard :)

Admin
Lois D

Re: A new community website for SE20

Post by Lois D »

Hiya,

This is the first time posting on this forum so forgive me if I've missed out on how things are developing with setting up a Community site for Penge/SE20.

I'm a graphic designer and web developer and have lived in Penge more or less all my life.
I think having a Community website for Penge would be a great idea!! i'd be more than willing to do this and buy a pint (if thats still hurdle number one)

I started to work on a blog about Penge: http://sothisispenge.tumblr.com/. It would be great to be able to work in a group with people who have been researching about Penge long before this.

So yeah...would be good to get things going and especially creating a positive platform for the people of Penge and the town: I think it's a pretty facinating place after searching online about its history....

I had a look on Twitter and found @Beckenham http://twitter.com/#!/Beckenhamand followed the link to the http://www.beckenhamtown.us/ website.

I like what's been done with the Twitter search on the name Beckenham and took the liberty of doing a Twitter search for Penge http://twitter.com/#!/search/Penge

A lot of it is in another language - Penge means 'Blade' or 'Money' in Danish I think :lol: anyway...I dunno how many people in Penge use Twitter but we should jump on it and define the place for ourselves!! <3

Lois
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lois D wrote:I think having a Community website for Penge would be a great idea!! i'd be more than willing to do this and buy a pint (if thats still hurdle number one)
Tuesday/Wednesday lunchtime next week? Your choice of location. PM me.

Admin
Lois D

Post by Lois D »

admin wrote:
Lois D wrote:I think having a Community website for Penge would be a great idea!! i'd be more than willing to do this and buy a pint (if thats still hurdle number one)
Tuesday/Wednesday lunchtime next week? Your choice of location. PM me.

Admin
Did you receive my PM?
alywin

Post by alywin »

Oops. I was just trawling round Virtual Norwood http://www.virtualnorwood.com/forum/ when I actually bothered to *read* what it says immediately under the logo: "Serving Norwood, Anerley, Penge and Sydenham" :blush:
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I hadn't realised that Virtual Norwood was seeking Lebensraum in our neck of the woods. Which forum is the older, theirs or ours?

Is the usage of local forums rising or falling? If the former, I suppose in theory the areas they each cover should get smaller, not bigger. For example, if we had separate forums for upper and lower Sydenham, those of us further up the hill wouldn't need to bother our friends lower down with boring (to them) discussions of 'Kirkdale Village' and the like, and people like me wouldn't keep having to look up exactly where Home Park is.

Similarly with SE23; it would be good if Honor Oakers could declare UDI. They are ethnically quite different from us on this side of the Hill, even though they may share much of our DNA (I believe interbreeding is thought to be possible.)
michael

Post by michael »

Robin Orton wrote:Similarly with SE23; it would be good if Honor Oakers could declare UDI. They are ethnically quite different from us on this side of the Hill, even though they may share much of our DNA (I believe interbreeding is thought to be possible.)
Since when have you been part of the SE23 family? As I recall you live on the other side of the great postcode divide. Honor Oak is an integral part of SE23.
But this thread is meant to be about Penge. I like Penge Park and often visit to see the dinosaurs and other animals.
Kirkdale Boy

Post by Kirkdale Boy »

Michael, so what family do you wish to belong ? Forest Hill/SE23 or STF, as I believe you live in FH.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Since when have you been part of the SE23 family? As I recall you live on the other side of the great postcode divide
That's right, rub it in. As I have explained elsewhere, I am in effect stateless; hence these no doubt pathetic pleas to be accepted - please, please, pretty please? - as having de facto dual nationality.
michael

Post by michael »

Kirkdale Boy wrote:Michael, so what family do you wish to belong ? Forest Hill/SE23 or STF, as I believe you live in FH.
I belong to Forest Hill and SE23. I occasionally visit neighbouring areas and occasionally contribute to their forums.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robin Orton wrote:I hadn't realised that Virtual Norwood was seeking Lebensraum in our neck of the woods. Which forum is the older, theirs or ours?

Is the usage of local forums rising or falling?
STF is the new kid on the block. Only 7 years old squeezing in between the venerable SE23 & VN. James (the ex-Admin of VN) wanted to cover the uncovered communities but when we appeared he graciously didn't actively pursue the SE26 patch. I guess that's why, despite requests, I've declined to offer a VN alternative. Yep don't snitch the Sarf London Cartel to the monopolies commission ...

On usage - it increased rapidly in the first few years and has now flattened out at about 10,000 posts a year

Admin
Pantwetter

Post by Pantwetter »

I don't think people can or should try to spread their tentacles too far. That's the beauty of a forum community thats geographically singing from the same hymn sheet, like STF.

Virtual Norwood champions itself on being a forum for Penge, Anerley, South Norwood, West Norwood, Sydenham and Crystal Palace. The latter being the only one that people seem to be concerned about.

Well, apart from Sydenham (used to live in Silverdale moons back) I wouldn't want to concern myself with the other areas anyway. If BBW thinks Catford is bad, he should try South Norwood. He'd have a seizure. And Anerley? He'd flatline....
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Pantwetter wrote:I don't think people can or should try to spread their tentacles too far. That's the beauty of a forum community thats geographically singing from the same hymn sheet, like STF.

Virtual Norwood champions itself on being a forum for Penge, Anerley, South Norwood, West Norwood, Sydenham and Crystal Palace. The latter being the only one that people seem to be concerned about.

Well, apart from Sydenham (used to live in Silverdale moons back) I wouldn't want to concern myself with the other areas anyway. If BBW thinks Catford is bad, he should try South Norwood. He'd have a seizure. And Anerley? He'd flatline....
I've seen your South Norwood so I'll raise you a Thamesmead that can only be trumped by a Plaistow council estate.

I played a gig at a Plaistow council estate social club once, to say it was an eye opener would be an under statement, at one point I had visions of eight months in traction.
londheart

Cater 4 Cator?

Post by londheart »

Bit worried about the fashionable South Bank of Penge & Cator Ward being left out of these discussions and socially excluded, as in realtime, as much by such dysfunctional virtual 'giants' as 'SE20' and 'Beckenham.US.'
CaptainCarCrash

Re: Cater 4 Cator?

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

londheart wrote:Bit worried about the fashionable South Bank of Penge & Cator Ward being left out of these discussions and socially excluded, as in realtime, as much by such dysfunctional virtual 'giants' as 'SE20' and 'Beckenham.US.'

Ello guvnor

How's the anti wos its name going?
londheart

Post by londheart »

mikecg has reminded me (I haven't visited this forum for a while) that we really don't want a forum for Penge quite like this one! When you look at my 'Ban kettling' thread, for example, it's quite obvious that there is a conservative troll squad waiting to pounce, as far as STF is concerned.
Annie

Post by Annie »

londheart wrote:mikecg has reminded me (I haven't visited this forum for a while) that we really don't want a forum for Penge quite like this one! When you look at my 'Ban kettling' thread, for example, it's quite obvious that there is a conservative troll squad waiting to pounce, as far as STF is concerned.

Tsk.
Why have you come on here then?
londheart

Post by londheart »

Annie wrote: Tsk.
Why have you come on here then?
There you go again! :roll:
But to dignify the question with an answer it doesn't really deserve, this thread came up at the recent meeting of relatively respectable realtime Penge Forum http://www.pengepartners.co.uk/penge-forum/, where it was billed as the start of an attempt to put Penge on the virtual map. I googled 'Penge Community,' as suggested, which took me, via a Penge front website (which now appears to have lost its place in search engine ratings), to 'our old friend' STF. :lol:
The bottom line is that, at a respectable, normal realtime forum like Penge forum, conservative or 'floating voter' trolls like mikecg would sooner or later have to be shown the door in order for any such institution to function effectively - sad but true. :(
Annie

Post by Annie »

But what I don't understand is that you are "located in Beckenham" so why are you bothering to post on Sydenham-or even interested in a Penge forum?

It seems to me that you come on here to "wind" people up,
it doesn't bother me in the least really though-your views are quite entertaining. :D

As for Kettling,Bring it on, and water cannons and anything else - also arrest those that cause disruption and mess by having a holiday (probably at our expense) outside any building they feal like.and let us normal people get on with our daily lives!

P.s I do not require an answer. :wink:
londheart

Post by londheart »

Annie wrote:But what I don't understand is that you are "located in Beckenham" so why are you bothering to post on Sydenham-or even interested in a Penge forum?
Again, a question which doesn't necessarily deserve an answer, but I am in the Penge ward, and the well-meaning folks behind the Penge online forum idea profess to cover it.
By the way, the link I mentioned earlier (http://www.penge.org.uk/) does come up if you google it, but not if you use the 'anywhere.me' search engine at the top of Bromley Libraries PCs.
Annie wrote: It seems to me that you come on here to "wind" people up
I think it's very boring for occasional visitors to this forum to keep having to hear 'how it seems' to the same few overbearing, predictable trolls. Get a life! :roll:
Annie wrote: P.s I do not require an answer. :wink:
More local daytime council provision for trolls (to keep them out of mischief) springs to mind. :wink: