SAYING YES TO THE MOSAIC ON THE NABORHOOD CENTRE?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie

Re: SAYING YES TO THE MOSAIC ON THE NABORHOOD CENTRE?

Post by Annie »

• Wherever possible we reused what the shop already had to keep costs low. Original shop fronts should be cherished rather than ripped out. It's also more sustainable.

Compare that with Paulros who spent an estimated 7-12 thousand on ripping out the original shop front, breaking planning regulations, made their business and the high street look worse and had to shut down.[/quote]

Off topic I know,but quick question-why did Paulros shut down?
poppy

Post by poppy »

Hear, Hear Scott!!

Another voice of reason!!

It is looking more and more like a travesty, sadly...

The art work that is being commissioned for the Greyhound site seems to be using a different process completely.

Different artists submitted ideas, local people were able to comment on them in a comments book at a display and explanation of these at Kirkdale Bookshop. Seems far more organised and a much more 'open' process. And before any (presumably) money was spent at all.

Does anyone know who is behind the Greyhound project?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Bruce Harrison is organising the Greyhound Project. All the submissions were posted here as well . A great example of how it should be done, and probably costing a fraction of the mosaic.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

The winning Greyhound artwork design was selected (or not, as it turned out) by a selection panel. So although the designs were made public and displayed at the Kirkdale Bookshop with the opportunity to write comments in a book, the public's opinion didn't count towards the selection. As it turned out, the selection panel didn't think any of the submitted designs were suitable and decided to extend the competition. So not such a good example after all.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Having said that, they made the right decision by not choosing any of the artworks presented as they weren't right or of a high enough standard (I entered and I agree with the judges).

So perhaps it wasn't such a bad example after all.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I would like to post this statement from Friends of Home Park:

For the record Friends of Home Park have never stated a position on the mosaic or been asked to state a position. The mosaic has not been discussed in any of our meetings, therefore we do not and cannot have a position on this.

It would have been nice if the South London Press had asked me before printing this story. My views on the mosaic are my own and are in no way related to Friends of Home Park or any other body or campaign I'm involved with.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rshdunlop wrote:And who are the members of the Sydenham Mosaic Committee? When and where do they meet and are the meetings open to the public?
At the meeting organised for formal objectors to this proposal last night, I was introduced to a group as the Sydenham Mosaic Committee, and started to make a note of their names. One immediately insisted very strongly that I should not publish her name on this Forum - or put it in the public domain in any other way, I assume. I have subsequently been told that should I do so, I'll be sued!

All she had to so was to ask for her name to be kept private :D
bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

Tim Lund wrote:I was introduced to a group as the Sydenham Mosaic Committee, and started to make a note of their names. One immediately insisted very strongly that I should not publish her name on this Forum - or put it in the public domain in any other way, I assume. I have subsequently been told that should I do so, I'll be sued!
Forgive me if I'm wrong, Tim, (I'm unaware of the legal technicalities) but shouldn't a commitee that's purportedly formed to adjudicate over decisions that will have an impact on the public (who they seem to be hiding from) make themselves known to the public they claim to be acting on behalf of?

I'm not having a go at you; it's just that as soon as I learn about people that claim to be acting in the interest of the locality wanting to shield their identities, my ears prick up - as I imagine many others would, too.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

They are in receipt of public money. Anonymity cannot be justified.

bigbadwolf

Post by bigbadwolf »

rshdunlop wrote:They are in receipt of public money. Anonymity cannot be justified.
Well, it can be justified, actually. Just not this far down the food chain.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have a responsibility to keep STF legal. Hence I need to understand on what grounds anyone can be sued for publishing this information.

If the person involved is reading or knows that person - please PM me or get them to PM me in complete confidence.

Admin
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rshdunlop wrote:They are in receipt of public money. Anonymity cannot be justified.

Well, that's what I'd have thought as a matter of principle, but I'm not sure what the law says. I have asked officers if there are any such general standards for the governance of community organisations, although in the context of being accepted as representing a claimed membership, rather than handling public money. I've not had any answer, and I've not thought through how to frame a sufficiently clear FOI request to follow the matter up. I would imagine also that there's some generally applicable law on the matter, but I simply don't know,and I'm not a lawyer.

Sometimes I wish I could get in touch with my barrister grandfather, who wrote a short book on "The Pecuniary Interest of members of local authorities" or something like it. Sadly, he died about 20 years ago.
michael

Post by michael »

There is information on the mosaic project now available on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/groups/127308600700971/
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Now I have a dilemma. Do I ask to join to the group just to get updates, at the risk that they will use the number of members as a measure of support?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rshdunlop:

I've just asked to join the group, so I'm interested to know if the request will be accepted. Given that the Mosaic supporters imply they have the support of the the Sydenham Society - which is completely split on the matter - and the Sydenham Arts Festival, when the majority of its Visual Arts Trail team are formal objectors to the planning application, I think you can be fairly sure that they will use the number of members as a measure of support, but it will hardly matter in the scale of things.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It would be good if they could provide a proper rendering to show what it would actually look like when finished. I'm amazed that after all this time there isn't a proper image of the finished design aside from a written description and a few roundel images.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

At last, the kitten mosaic - many people went "Aah" when this was unveiled at the Sydenham Assembly (but a very few went "Ugh"). This is the smallest roundel, and it will be high up on the building, over the door.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Ugh.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I haven't had time to read this whole thread but the cat must be a joke?

G-Man
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

G-Man wrote:the cat must be a joke?
At your expense!

PP