Joseph Paxton's signature

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Explosive news: a big collector showed me this antique book from the early days of the Crystal Palace at Sydenham. It's kind of like a register that everyone who entered the palace had to sign... It's got signatures of over 100 very important people at the time and must be worth a bloody fortune. Below is the page with Paxton's sig, as well as one of the court designers... Unfortunately, Owen Jones (the other court designer) and Brunel never signed this register...

ALIB

excellent find

Post by ALIB »

I was just wondering how many other signatures are intelligible. Can you make out any other famous names?, although it already looking like a bit of a priceless find. Nice One
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Mate, there were untold signatures that could be made out... :o I see Ken Kiss (number 1 authority on the Crystal Palace) reading and recognising countless famous names from this register that day...
david ashman

Post by david ashman »

Hello,
A google search has led me to this site so I hope someone here can help me.
I have a London Illustrated News dated 3rd May 1851. It is a special issue covering the inauguration of the Crystal Palace. and it has been stapled into a brown card cover. On the cover is inscribed in pencil 'Joseph Paxton Esq. F.L.S.' -beneath that- 'Architect of the Crystal Palace' and beneath that -'May 3rd 1851'.
Was it the style in those days to add Esq. to your autograph? and is this likely to be a real and genuine signature ? or is it more likely the holder of the newspaper writing this down for reference ?
I saw the earlier forum correspondence about Joseph Paxton's signature and also saw the scan of his signature. Unfortunately the one I have does not seem to be too similar BUT if he was standing in a bustling Hall when asked to write this and possibly even moving along holding a 'floppy ' piece of paper in one hand and writing with the other....Well then anything is possible. The writing style would most likely be different and the Esq, and message is feasible as a note to the recipient
Advice and thoughts will be gratefully received.
Many Thanks
David Ashman
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Hi David,
Was it the style in those days to add Esq. to your autograph? and is this likely to be a real and genuine signature ? or is it more likely the holder of the newspaper writing this down for reference
I don't think so; most likely the holder of the newspaper, although I could be wrong.

Today, I saw one of Joseph Paxton's letters down at the Crystal Palace Museum, and his signature was just like the one above.
david ashman

Post by david ashman »

Thanks for that info. Falkor.

Not what I wanted to hear but now, looking at the sig. again, it is most certainly not the same and I will have to accept that. :-(

Regards

David Ashman