KIcking off in Lewisham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
RedRevolver

Re: Post all the news of the Riots here (To make it easy)

Post by RedRevolver »

admin wrote:
In this kind of atmosphere, it’s not surprising that officers in charge of subduing a riot think it safer to wait for orders from the top rather than use their discretion to protect the public without fear or favour.
With greatest respect tonight is not the best night to have a pop at the police. Too many hoodlums are doing that right now.

There's a lot wrong with the police (and the government) but tonight they all we have between anarchy and us. And many of putting themselves in harms way for us for the third night running. So a thank you from me.

The responsibility for arson is with the arsonist.

Admin (sorry to be showing bias)
This isn't anarchy. It's the breakdown of society blowing back in our faces. I'm in NO WAY condoning the actions of anyone engaging in actions endangering lives. Quite frankly, I'm scared. But rather than blaming people, we need to realise at the end of the day we need to help others. And not in the New Labour, bureaucratic cop out way. We need to educate, and encourage people to live their lives sociably and not inspire hatred and division.
mrtimelover

Post by mrtimelover »

Sainsbury's in Bell Green is officially being looted if it hasn't been fully looted already. I wonder how long it is going to be closed for. I'm pretty sure if sainsbury's has been looted, surely CO-OP will be looted sooner or later.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Costcutter just got smashed up by the bus stop at 10.15 tonight, decided to get out of there. 15 masked youths or so legged it off into Queensthorpe. Pretty scary with no police around.

I would stay off the high street for now just in case.
hazy

Post by hazy »

mrtimelover wrote:Sainsbury's in Bell Green is officially being looted if it hasn't been fully looted already. I wonder how long it is going to be closed for. I'm pretty sure if sainsbury's has been looted, surely CO-OP will be looted sooner or later.
when you say "officially" do you mean that someone said so on twitter then a couple of people retweeted it? or do you have a more substantial source?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RedRevolver wrote:This isn't anarchy.
I've lived through countless riots. Notting Hill, Brixton ... but they were just that. An explosion in a local place caused, in part, by local factors.

This is different. No shop in London is safe. Damage is done without any thought of the consequences. The police have had to concentrate their forces leaving most of our capital exposed. The future of your business lies at the whim of a young lad high on adrenalin or something worse. If that is not anarchy (in the non political sense) I don't know what is.

Latest: Bromley Richer Sounds has gone. The Pie & Mash shop in the Walworth Road is alight.

Pray for rain.

Admin
mrtimelover

Post by mrtimelover »

I know people who have seen it themselves.
mrtimelover

Post by mrtimelover »

hazy wrote:when you say "officially" do you mean that someone said so on twitter then a couple of people retweeted it? or do you have a more substantial source?
Sorry I got beaten by Admin in my last post (I was being lazy and didn't quote). I know people who have seen it for themselves, including family members, one who has just driven by there.
Last edited by mrtimelover on 8 Aug 2011 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

I can see the costcutter from my window - looked like someone was just on the roof of the costcutter - will keep an eye out - not sure what the rules are on swearing but **** this shit !
alywin

Post by alywin »

RedRevolver wrote:These aren't made for these riots. This is information given out to a lot of protesters, and have existed for a while.
Not made for these riots, when they're referring to recent events in Tottenham?
RedRevolver

Post by RedRevolver »

alywin wrote:
RedRevolver wrote:These aren't made for these riots. This is information given out to a lot of protesters, and have existed for a while.
Not made for these riots, when they're referring to recent events in Tottenham?
The general information given on there is from hand outs I've seen, in person, from protests happening since last November. The advice is not new advice, or been specifically thought up/created FOR Tottenham, or subsequent riots. They're being handed out in RELATION to recent events, in which not every body out there, caught up in it, is involved in criminal activity, or least, nowhere near the extremities it has got to.
sophie

Post by sophie »

Felt very uncomfortable about an hour ago as I drove by a guy with a hood carrying a plastic petrol container passing the mercedes garage. Could have been completely innocent but maybe not.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mrtimelover

Post by mrtimelover »

Well I hope he doesn't plan on setting anything alight. They've already caused enough damage around here as it is. Thanks for the update.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

Four kids have just smashed in the windows of the bookies up here on Kirkdale
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Gives an idea of how many incidents going on....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=2 ... urce=embed
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Riot van with about 8 police - currently parked out side superdrugs
surreyman

Post by surreyman »

Can I just check Bell Green Sainsburys has been looted ! ? ! ?
westwood girl

Post by westwood girl »

whats the latest? has it all gone quiet??
Search East

Post by Search East »

Has had some looting according to Twitter feeds. Just search #Sydenham for latest news.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

police still up there - looks like they are just sitting tight as a deterrent at the moment
Fizzle fam

Post by Fizzle fam »

Apparently kids are swarming the high street, but I haven't seen it for myself.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image