Greyhound Pub

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Sandie

Greyhound Pub

Post by Sandie »

From the exterior this pub looks vile. Once inside, it's vile. It needs closing down and restyling. Forget the theme pub, it's vile. :x
stuart

Post by stuart »

Yes it is vile - but I like it!

Now the premiership football clubs charge you extortionate prices and make you sit down and the police coral you like criminals - that is not what I call a fun Saturday afternoon out.

So occasionally I can walk to The Greyhound (how nice to have the name back) and for the price of a pint for each half (again not allowed on the ground) I can watch the match in convivial company - standing!

Keep it open please.
Sandie

Post by Sandie »

Hi Stuart
Didn't want to offend. I agree that it is important in the part it plays in the community but does it have to look so gross.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Leave the interior to those who want to enjoy it; the exterior is what offends me!

This old pub - a Greyhound Public House has been on this site since 1720 (apart from a period in the 1990s when it was called the Fewterer and Firkin - fewterer being a mediaeval greyhound keeper) - stands in a prominent place at the entrance to Sydenham Town.

Horrible colour with a garage style price board - no softening from flowers and an unkempt scruffy patch of green in its otherwise unrelenting tarmac car park - vile is a pretty good description of it and Arena Pubs really ought to be ashamed of how it treats the local environment and its disregard of the residents of Sydenham who have to pass it on a daily basis.
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

"Horrible colour with a garage style price board"

Highly appropriate - or haven't you drunk their beer? Straight down the pipeline from the refinery to be sure!

Seriously it is a good idea to prominently display prices - like garages. Vile & cheap is one option, posh & expensive is another - but I hate being ripped off by bad pubs with high prices.
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

By way of an update the Greyhound has now got a new management team, who on the basis of their first week seem to be doing well (in my subjective opinion).

I don't imagine they can do anything about the decor (inside or out) except petition the brewery, so I wouldn't hold your breath for that to change. Though if you feel very strongly you could always write to Mitchell and Butlers yourself.

Hopefully they can make it a more friendly place for all over the next weeks and months.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

I've always found this pub very friendly (staff and clientele) and Thursday nights attracts a very diverse crowd aged from 16 (it seemed to me) to 60 - all joining in with the best karaoke in town - there was a rendition of 'Redemption Song' a couple of weeks ago that brought tears to my eyes! Great atmosphere.
Vision

Post by Vision »

The greyhound was the first pub i ever went to when i was young, i remember when it was a geat place and the garden was packed with kids playing. Last time i was in there was about 6 years ago i think it wasnt called the greayhound then..
Vision

Post by Vision »

hold it..I've got this wrong i think im talking about the Dolphin near the funeral parlors? Yeah right the Greyhound is near the station. Never did like that place.... :?
oin

Post by oin »

The Greyhound is a fairly typical "modern" pub. It's somewhat similar to a Wetherspoon's style. The interior is a bit clean and formulaic for my tastes but I have to say the staff have always been friendly, there's tons of windows making it feel light and bright and the drinkers seem to be quite diverse, though generally 20s & 30s. Food was averagely OK as I recall.

It also has a large outdoor drinking area for the summer, although it is on the main road right by the busy roundabout.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Scaffolding up today as they endeavour to clear out the pigeon poo!

Spoke to landlord - he's keeping his fingers crossed for an exterior repaint - gold lettering on dark red background - there's already a notice across the car park in these colours which bodes well - just need to have some flowers on the balcony as previously.....
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

oh please, please paint over that vile turquoise!

I have my fingers crossed.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

It's a shame the Greyhound rear function rooms are no longer used, they used to have good live gigs at weekends during the Firkin days; apparently there is no money in the pot to create disabled access from the main pub.
Anybody remember the gorgeous 19th Century tiled wall in the original entrance lobby? It's still there but has been sealed up and given a Grade 2 Heritage listing.
Nice enough town pub, good for a few pints if you dont fancy travelling very far from home.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

i remember that back room, i saw john otway perform in there some years ago, and also used to watch boxing matches being shown on television.

the mosiac tiled atrium (?) was also fantastic, i wondered what had happened to it.

i think the theme pub has had its day (please god). i think there is definitely a future in starting a chain of pubs themed on the 'traditional london pub' so we could go full circle in about 10 years. they might even be able to buy back the original fixtures and fittings at some exhorbitant price. let's get jim back as the landlord too.
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

Yes the place is in need of a refurbishment or debranding of the Arena image, maybe they could start by providing complimentary wellie boots for the gents toilets. :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This thread has been superseded by a newer one in 'Town Hall' and is now closed. Please append further stuff on The Greyhound to:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=235