Fireworks @ Crystal Palace (29-Nov-06)

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Falkor

Fireworks @ Crystal Palace (29-Nov-06)

Post by Falkor »

Did anyone manage to capture any footage from this event?

I just got back from there... The display was very impressive indeed--excellently choreographed! I'll try and describe what happened for those who missed it...

The fireworks were positioned and launched at various points within the area of the former Crystal Palace site, including the Upper Terrace pathway. The spectators gallery was behind metal fences halfway across the width of the Lower Terrace green; there were a couple of floodlights positions at each end.

The main steps (once one of two symmetrical flights leading to what was the original main steps), where much of the show was to be based around, were illuminated by a few slowly changing lights. Three cameramen were positioned in line with the steps, immediately in front of the fences dividing the spectators, just south of the center axis. This is where I was standing. Above the steps was a big crane with a hook hanging down from a cable. I thought this might have been to hold the TV screen for showing the footage by way of projection, but it wasn't so...

It had already gone 6pm, but the TV screen still hadn't arrived for the pre-show (main fireworks were scheduled to start at 18:30). Eventually, a big truck arrived from the Anerley entrance and drove across the Lower Terrace green, behind all the spectators, and parked in the North-East part of the green. A rectangular screen popped out of the roof and unfolded to form a giant square television. Everyone had to turn 135 degrees in order to see what was being broadcast.

"Palace Dreams" by the Crystal Palace Foundation was shown, which consisted entirely of raw footage showing the Crystal Palace on fire, when it was standing, certain acts performed in the park and on stage, and finally some exceprts from historical firework displays held in the grounds of the palace + a few still images of both the Hyde Park exhibition building, as well as some court/interior illustrations of the new palace at Sydenham/Penge. Most of the footage I had seen before in the Crystal Palace documentaries "The Crystal Palace is on Fire" and "Crystal Palace Reflections" (both available on VHS from the CPF website). Some classical/Ambient music was played in the background.

As the film came to an end, a man with a tall hat positioned himself in front of the steps with his back to the audience. He was obviously portraying a Victorian man or possibly even Brunel. Several torches were lit across each banister. Each step became illuminated with multi-coloured lights. The man walked up the steps and was hooked to the crane! He floated around from side to side in front of the audience, holding some kind of cane. The volume of the music was raised; acts involving the crane tended to be accompanied by a haunting soundtrack. After he descended, two more men were attached to the crane underneath him and spun around in a circle as all 3 men ascended into the air.

Now my memory is a bit vague as to the order of events that followed:
-There was a technical problem! The music suddenly stopped with the multi-coloured lights illuminating the steps also extingushed. The torches burned on, but there was silence for about 5-10 minutes, until a crew member announced there was a technical problem and hoped to resume the show ASAP. The music and lights came back on, and the show did resume!

-I recall about 3-5 catherine wheels positioned in front and beside the steps along the green. All the balustrades across a good length of the terrace became lit up with white sparks pouring out above, whilst yellow spirals of sparks simultaneously sprayed in front.

-A 2D construction set-piece of the Crystal Palace started to rise from the top of the steps to about maybe 15-30 feet? It was white, showing a basic arched transept roof with simple straight lines showing the patterns of the columns and girders--a bit like a side-on view of the Hyde Park palace without any doorway.

-A ghost with a long white dress was flung around by the crane. I'm not sure whether there was a person inside the costume, nor whom he/she was meant to portray, but there was more of that haunting music being played.

Again, I can't quite remember the order of events (any other eyewitnesses like to help with corrections/alternative interpretations?), but it now went something like this:
-There was a first wave of fireworks launched sky high--all white!

-The palace model began to sparkle in white, until it was burning in yellow--this colour radiating throughout--possibly helped by electricity. Just as it had rose, it began to fall down, with the "ruins" still burning until fully extinguished.

-A second wave of fireworks now launched sky high--all multi-coloured!

-A final prop was exhibited on the crane, which was kind of like a skinny pyramid object flashing white with some white legs dangling down or somesuch!?

-A final wave of multi-coloured fireworks was now launched in the air. They progressed into a mind-blowing complexity of flashing lights and popping sounds--perfectly choreographed--ending with 3 white big bangs!

EDIT:
Man with hat = Joseph Paxton
Female ghost = Queen Victoria
Last edited by Falkor on 30 Nov 2006 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I was there too. It was very interesting but was an unusual mismash of events. The fireworks were great though :)
dickp

Post by dickp »

I would have been there too if the idiots at bromley council hadn't put the display time at 6:30 pm on their website, rather when they actually did happen. It certainly sounded very impressive.
Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It was pretty delayed and very cold I know a lot of my friends did not come down as they could not have got there for 6-6.30
disillusioned

palace dreams

Post by disillusioned »

:evil: actually i thought it was a bit of a palace nightmare...its was hard to see what was going on, there seemed to be long gaps when nothing much was happening, and even the fireworks weren't particularly impressive, from where i was i could see people leaving in droves, i stayed to the end but remain unimpressed, falkor glad you enjoyed it just can't see why :evil:
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

actually i thought it was a bit of a palace nightmare...
Well, you could say that I'm used to more higher level forms of entertainment, but the final wave of fireworks came somewhere close to what I consider to be quality entertainment. Drama, props and special effects don't really do anything for me or affect my adrenaline flow in any way. However, it was worth it just for the final wave; that's the reason I attended. The penultimate wave was pretty cool as well!
its was hard to see what was going on, there seemed to be long gaps when nothing much was happening
The gaps did keep me in suspense, as I was trying to figure out how many waves there would be, and how it would all end--whether it would be obvious or not. Apparently, some people were already leaving during one of the gaps, assuming the show had already ended. I take it you were far from the center axis? I made sure I had the best seat in the house, and I even asked where the TV screen was going to be situated (if not hanging from the hook), but the steward I spoke to wasn't informed.
and even the fireworks weren't particularly impressive, from where i was i could see people leaving in droves, i stayed to the end but remain unimpressed, falkor glad you enjoyed it just can't see why
Did you not enjoy the complexity of the last few waves of fireworks and the way they progressed?

BTW, here's the first bit of footage I've come across:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9pAV0ICNfc
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Like Falkor I was impressed with the fireworks, particularly the final display. That really was spectacular. The people hanging from the crane I could have done without, and because the film had no commentary and was a rather random compilation, it would have meant little to those who did not already know something about the Crystal Palace. Certainly those around me were losing interest. What did impress me was the speed with which the screen was set up - it seemed only minutes from arrival of the lorry before the film was playing on this huge screen.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

PLEASE

I am after any video footage of the Crystal Palace commemorative firework display on the 29th November. I work for the company that produced the display but our camera developed a problem and the footage we had is lost.

If anyone recorded all or even just a small part of the show could they get in touch either to mkinga@cix.co.uk or ring me on 07875 491 269 or 01883 49427 we would be very grateful for any assistance with this.

Regards
Martin King
(sent in the interest of history for and on behalf of Mike King by the
Crystal Palace Foundation)
MR G.

Post by MR G. »

Badly lit and badly organised. Sorry to be negative but if you were the one paying the bill you'd not want to pay full monies. Got there at 6.25 and left at 7.15pm Bah Humbug!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

More footage!!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZP0Q4hRwEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKjp7F4u2VM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwetFWBensY

Damn sound is out of sync on the final wave (probably caused by the YouTube conversion), but atleast the guy captured it! :)
AVManning

Fireworks

Post by AVManning »

Would love to be able to give an opinion.

Back when it was actually Bonfire Night, my husband and I were looking online to find a display to go to, and read the Crystal Palace one was postponed - date given Nov 30th, I double checked the date myself while at Crystal Palace on Monday and was again told it was the 30th. Needless to say I was thoroughly annoyed to get there last night to be told it had taken place the night before, my 2 young sons were very, very disappointed!
leaf

Post by leaf »

I had wondered if that would happen,but there were lots of leaflets printed and distributed around the local area with the new date on them,but obviously not enough!
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

This guy has put several videos up. It looks like a good display
https://www.youtube.com/user/mariokokomao
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

I've now looked through all the footage and and it looks quite a night and I'm sorry I missed it. I have two questions?

1. Where did they advertise this? I saw one leaflet in a cafe the Sat before, but it was too short notice to re arrange plans.

2. Why put it on so early? Judging by the number of people who get off the trains after 6.30pm there would have been a lot of council tax paying Sydenham commuters who would have missed the event (even if they did know about it!)
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

richpickings wrote:This guy has put several videos up. It looks like a good display
https://www.youtube.com/user/mariokokomao
Mario Silva has generously sent me all his and his brother's footage in original quality/format, and I'm now working on authoring a DVD for non-commercial use only, based around their videos blended together in the correct order. The Silva footage consists of 8 videos, totalling 14 minutes of crucial highlights, with 2 additional "overlapping" videos to be used as deleted scenes.

With 3 years experience working for a DVD company named DVD.COM (you can find my DVDs in HMV, Virgin, play.com etc), I hope to do a good job technically, even though I must admit my artistic/presentation skills are not up to scratch.

Another gentleman, whose brother recorded 30 minutes from the event has also offered his footage for the DVD project, although I'm still awaiting final confirmation/delivery. Fingers crossed...

I now have permission from all these kind folk to include their photos within the DVD Photo Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig_r1978/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trikked/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flashback/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26476820@N00/

Specifically, I plan on using them as an Animated Photo Gallery (Pan & Zoom), and everyone will be credited.

I just need to find some of that classical music now... :D Besides the hallelujah chorus, can anyone please identify any of the soundtracks that were used in the event that night and heard in these videos?
https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mariokokomao

If anyone has anymore footage/photos they would like to contribute to the project, please contact me.

When complete, I think the DVD will be released as a torrent...
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

The classical music was Handel.

Can't remember the exact parts but will let you know later tonight when the missus gets back from her gig.

Thought the event was great, apart from when one idiot brought their dog to see the fireworks. Poor thing...
Illuminance

Post by Illuminance »

OK two, maybe three bits of Handel

Music for the Royal Festival

Zadok the Priest

and maybe some of the Water Music

Thanks to Mrs Illuminance for that one :)
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Excellent; please thank your Mrs. for me... :)
Falkor

Update

Post by Falkor »

Here's what's planned for my project:

Main Features

Film
Approximately 30 minutes of footage captured by Nathaniel Hough (awaiting delivery).

Highlights
A collection of 8 videos blended together in the correct order to form 14 minutes of important highlights, captured by Mario Silva and his brother Ignacio Silva.

Special Features

History of the Crystal Palace
Even though my English is not that great, I'm considering writing a short article about the history of the crystal palace based on what I've learnt at the Crystal Palace Museum, but mainly so I can showcase some rare photos I won on Ebay.

Event Review
Short review of the Palace Dreams event with flyer.

Deleted Scenes
A selection of short clips showing "overlapping" footage filmed at different angles:
-2 videos by Ignacio Silva.
-2 videos by Joanna Brassett.

Animated Photo Gallery
66+ photos presented with Pan & Zoom, contributed by the following people:
-Craig Richardson
-Astrid Eckstein
-Mick Hough
-Claire Harvey
-Richard A Brooks
-Mario Silva

Credits
Everyone who contributed to the project will be credited on the DVD, as well as the London Development Agency and Crystal Palace Foundation for organising the event.

Handel's classical music will be accompanying all the menus and photo gallery.

If anyone else has other footage/photos they would like to contribute to my project then please get in contact ASAP. My email address is rarekfm@hotmail.com

I hope to have this DVD authored by Christmas to give out to friends/family/colleagues/contributors. However, I can also release it on the internet via BitTorrent, so that everyone will be given the opportunity to see it. Another option would be to mail out DVD copies to anyone who is interested, although I would have to charge £1 for postage & packaging.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Illuminance wrote:OK two, maybe three bits of Handel

Music for the Royal Festival

Zadok the Priest

and maybe some of the Water Music

Thanks to Mrs Illuminance for that one :)
Please, please not Zadok the Priest!

It drives me mad everytime I hear it when watching Champions League. For those who may not be aware the arrangement that signals another round of dumbed-down advertisements is taken from Handel's Coronation Anthems.

Apologies to you or your good Lady Illuminance but I now have a thing against "The Champiooons, dud-duh duh-duuuh!"