Would anyone like an exersize partner?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Jeannie

Would anyone like an exersize partner?

Post by Jeannie »

Hello!!!

OK, so it's a new year. And I have vowed to not only lose a few extra pounds, but to be healthier overall in terms of lifestyle. Easier said than done from a woman who's favourite foods are chocolate and coffee, and who eats five portions of fruit and vegetables a month, let alone a day!

I have more time on my hands these days after deciding to be a part time peri music teacher, but as a result I cannot afford to go to a gym or buy myself any equipment at the moment (I cannot even ride a bike!). I was wondering if anyone in the same situation, or willing to give me a hand a show me how fun excersize can really be, would like to meet up for some regular excersize and to make a new friend? :)

Also, if anyone has any tips on classes I could go to, people I could meet up with or things I could do to get fitter that don't cost the earth, please do leave your suggestions here! I would be most grateful!

Jeannie x
JoeP

Fitness

Post by JoeP »

Any time someone asks me about fitness I always point them towards British Military Fitness (http://www.britmilfit.com/). Don't be put off by the name as it caters for people of all levels of fitness and they are a friendly bunch. I am an ex-couch potato who went to them around 6 years ago and I haven't looked back. You will find that your fitness level rockets quickly. The advantage with them is that activities are performed in groups and they do push you so you make progress fast. The sessions are in a range of parks in London and the fact that it is outdoors makes a lot more enjoyable than the gym which I find stuffy and tedious. Hope this helps.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Hi,

If you don't want to pay for the gym or expensive classes, then taking up running or jogging is free!

Enter yourself in something like 'Race for Life' which is very beginner-friendly and 5km long (ie 30-40 mins running). This will give you all the incentive you need to get out and start pounding the pavements.

Try looking on a website such as www.fetcheveryone.com or www.runnersworld.co.uk Both have members of every level of running but there are always lots of people who are starting out.

If you aren't that fit, the best advice is not to feel you have to run quickly, and to alternate running and walking initially (lots of people start by running to the next lamppost, walking to the next and so on, and then gradually cut down on the number/length of walking breaks as you build fitness).
kster

Post by kster »

I agree with Weeble, running is a great way to get fit. It is the one thing that worked for me and I’ve wasted hundreds of pounds over the years on gym memberships that I didn’t use. I’ve only been running since the summer, and what kept me motivated to run was entering a race. A race is OK to enter as a beginner, as they not all as competitive as it sounds (I came 16,000ish out of 20,000 in my first one). You can enter yourself into a (short) race for around 3 months time and it’ll be a great way to stay motivated beyond the second week of January.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Likewise - I had my arm twisted to run in a 10km race, which seemed like a HUGE distance at the time, but it got me hooked. Having a race on the horizon is the main thing which keeps me motivated.

Personally I also think it is better to have a goal which is based on the activity itself rather than 'getting fit' or 'losing weight' - if you find something you enjoy doing rather than as a 'means to an end' I think you're more likely to stick with it rather than seeing it as a chore.