mugging in Sydenham Avenue

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
cri20051

mugging in Sydenham Avenue

Post by cri20051 »

Last Friday at about 11.30pm I was walking home with my boyfriend and we were attacked in Sydenham Avenue (past the roundabout towards Crystal Palace Park Road). The four hooded youths were after our mobiles and one of them threatened to stab my boyfriend if he didn't hand over his phone. They punched him several times, I gave them my cash and in the end they panicked as a car went past and run away.

We are now thinking of getting the bus from Sydenham Station to Crystal Palace Park Road if we come back late in the evening, as the latter seems slightly safer.

Has anyone else experienced similar troubles at this end of Sydenham? Last October I saw about 30-40 of these youths jumping the fence of Crystal Palace park and coming towards me. In that occasion I run as quickly as I could and got home safe. I thought I probably over reacted but now I am thinking I did the right thing.... Do you agree that there should be more police presence around here?

I don't want to scare people but I am a bit shocked and I thought to report what happened. If it happened to any of you, I would have liked to know. The more we are aware of these upleasant incidents, the more we can avoid them... and hopefully discourage these thugs...
AliT

Post by AliT »

Cri20051, Sorry to hear of the incident last Friday. It sounds pretty scary. Can I just ask, what time of day was it when you were in CP Park and saw the guys getting over the fence? And which bit of the park were you in? I walk there a lot (often alone) and as a woman have sometimes felt a bit vulnerable over at the bit behind CP station where all the graffitti is. It feels too hidden and potentially dangerous. Let's hope that it will be restructured with the development of the park. Meanwhile, take care.
cri20051

Post by cri20051 »

Hi AliT
it was about 9.30pm, I was walking on Cristal Palace Park Road and I saw these youths jumping the fence where the car park is. I was scared because it was a big crowd. As soon as they started to cross the road I run so I am not sure they were going to approach me... I just thought I wouldn't take the risk....
I informed the police and they said they have increased their presence in the park and surrounding areas but to be honest I rarely see police cars passing by...
randomv

Post by randomv »

Hi
I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you - sound very frightening.

I live at that end of Sydenham and I've never really seen anything sus around there, nor am i aware of it being known as a particular trouble spot, although I tend to get a cab home if I'm coming back late.

Depressingly, I think these things can happen fairly arbitrarily and even with the best laid plans you can just find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Seb

Post by Seb »

Dear Cri20051

Very sorry to hear about your awful experience last friday. Some people including my partner have been mugged around Sydenham Hill station for the last two/three monthss. Unfortunately we seem to hear that these muggings happen more and more often in Sydenham...It looks like it is not safe to go out when it is dark...but, as randomv said, we sometimes get in the wrong place at the wrong time.
cri20051

Post by cri20051 »

I am not alone then :cry:

Do you think is there something we can do about it? I am thinking about writing to the council.... I know that the police is aware of the issue, but they lack of resources to properly tackle the problem....
I know that youth criminality is a huge problem in this country, and especially in London. I guess it is a phenomenon that exists in all metropolises but I think has got worse in the last few years. It is growing more and more, there must be something we can do at local level to feel safer in the environment we live in.
stuart

Post by stuart »

cri20051 wrote:Do you think is there something we can do about it? I am thinking about writing to the council.... I know that the police is aware of the issue, but they lack of resources to properly tackle the problem....
An issue here is that your incident happened on the border of two different police divisions - Bromley & Lewisham. This is where area policing falls apart. I have to say personally that most of my experiences with Lewisham Police have been good whereas Bromley were always awful. Other people have questioned whether the two divisions fully share information & intelligence.

This may be something you should bring up in the invitation for feedback on area policing you can find mentioned elsewhere in the Forum.

Stuart
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

stuart

Similarly the Sydenham Hill area is on the borders of Lewisham/Southwark, I wonder if this is part part the problem. At Sydenham Hill station there are posters inviting you to phone the Dulwich 'Safer Neighbourhoods Team', but don't bother I have rung them several times and left my number but no-one has ever called back. They probably don't give a damn about people walking up to Sydenham since its out of their area.
desser

Post by desser »

Sorry to hear your story. My wife confronted some youfs in Wells Park who were bullying a kid and was told where to go. THere seems to be a bit of an edge up there.

the other night 11pm walking along bishopsthorpe i was told i was going to be stabbed for being a fxxxxxx xxxx.

all i was doing was walking along the road. nothing more happened happened, probably because there were some people walking behind me... anyway the little bollix had come out of the house on bishopsthorpe that backs onto the road at the silverdale ... ie the house fronts on to the road leading into mayow park.

i suggest people be somewhat wary walking past that house.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Did you call the police over either of these incidents?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

If you didn't call the police, please please do so. It doesn't matter whether you think the people can be caught or not - police can't be everywhere and they rely on the information they get from the public. They will allocate resources according to where they believe there is a problem - if incidents aren't reported they can't act on them.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Weeble is right. If someone threatened to stab me I'd call the police even if it was a little kid. Same goes for the bullying.
They have to see that there are consequences, and the younger they learn that the better.
Jules

Post by Jules »

The Police wont do anything unless you do get stabbed and the kids know that.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Still better to let them know even if that is true.
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Even if they don't have the resources, information etc to follow up one mugging, if the are 5, 10, 20 muggings/threats etc then they will start to pay attention.

They only know how many incidents there have been if they are reported.

Just because the police won't necessarily show up with blue lights blazing doesn't mean there is no point in reporting incidents.
pip

Attempted robbery on Wells Park Road

Post by pip »

Last thursday a friend of mine was viciously attacked outside Woodbury house on Wells Park Road at about 11.45pm. He was punched to the ground in what appears to be an attempted robbery. The assailant ran off empty handed when passengers of a passing car stopped to intervene.
My friend was left with a cut eye and serious bruising to his face and head.
Although now recovering he has asked me to post this message as a warning to others as he has no access to a computer.
VickyMill

Re: Attempted robbery on Wells Park Road

Post by VickyMill »

pip wrote:Last thursday a friend of mine was viciously attacked outside Woodbury house on Wells Park Road at about 11.45pm. He was punched to the ground in what appears to be an attempted robbery. The assailant ran off empty handed when passengers of a passing car stopped to intervene.
My friend was left with a cut eye and serious bruising to his face and head.
Although now recovering he has asked me to post this message as a warning to others as he has no access to a computer.
I know this is extremely off topic, but I went to Adamsrill primary school.

Which isn't much of a suprise, seeing as we all come from Sydenham/surrounding areas...meh.