Grain silo behind the Golden Lion

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Greg Whitehead

Grain silo behind the Golden Lion

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Hello to Falkor and Steve Grindlay,

Apologies to you both that we (I) always seem to make demands of you both but clearly as the two men best versed in Sydenham's history(sorry, it's a bit sycophantic, I'll get to the point).

Two things have often puzzled me. There's a grain silo type building you can glimpse as you pass by the Golden Lion. Do you know the history of this building - did it serve another bakery other than Slatters prior to the monstrosity that is the Lidl building being built? I think there are similar buildings that I've encountered on my walks around? One just as you turn into Fransfield Grove and one maybe on the Newlands Park just before the death-trap junction?

The second is the huge Victorian Villa that is at the start of Silverdale, just on the right. I have been informed by Falkor that there were many more large homes on Silverdale that were pulled down under the auspices of enemy action and I can clearly see there are large houses further up Silverdale but this one does seem much larger and grander than what survives and would presumably have always stood alone.

A quick third?

What on earth is occurring on that patch of land to your left as you pull away from Sydenham Station on the up line? I mean the sort of wreckers' yard for black cabs.

As always thanks in advance.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Good observations, Greg! Please let me know if you spot anymore old odd buildings...

1) I will look out for it when I next walk down (or up) Sydenham High Street.

2) The 1894 map shows the same villa--closest to the high street--with a gap between itself and the Rink Cinema (mostly survives as the sorting office?). Therefore, it's possible the building was more grander than the other houses once down the road, although it would be best to compare with old photos. Silverdale never existed when the 1862 Stanford map was surveyed. It turns out that Silverdale was laid in the early 1870s, when all those houses were most probably built.

3) Can you find it on the map?
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=4272739
Steve Grindlay

Re: Grain silo behind the Golden Lion

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Greg Whitehead wrote:There's a grain silo type building you can glimpse as you pass by the Golden Lion. Do you know the history of this building...
If it's the building I'm thinking of, I've always assumed, without much evidence, that it was associated with the Golden Lion, and may date from the 1850s when the Golden Lion itself was rebuilt. I've also assumed it was a stable. In 1902 it seems to have been occupied by a "cab and fly proprietor", the Victorian equivalent of mini-cabs.
... the huge Victorian Villa that is at the start of Silverdale, just on the right. I have been informed by Falkor that there were many more large homes on Silverdale that were pulled down under the auspices of enemy action and I can clearly see there are large houses further up Silverdale but this one does seem much larger and grander than what survives and would presumably have always stood alone.
As Falkor says, building began in Silverdale in the early 1870s, from the Sydenham Road end. No.2 Silverdale, which was originally called Silverdale House, would have been one of the earliest. By 1874 it was occupied by Edwin Howard, a solicitor. In the early 20th century it became the Sydenham Social Club and by the early 1960s housed the Silverdale Art Gallery. [Here] are some pictures of Silverdale, including one of the Rink which doubled as a skating rink and cinema and was demolished about ten years ago.
What on earth is occurring on that patch of land to your left as you pull away from Sydenham Station on the up line? I mean the sort of wreckers' yard for black cabs
Is this what you mean?
The grassy area is enclosed by houses in Sydenham Park Road (at the top left), Peak Hill, Kinver Road and the railway line. It used to be accessible from between two houses in Sydenham Pk Rd, but there is now a gate across the entrance, and threatening notices. It is all that remains of the garden of Peak Hill Lodge, a large house on the site of St Barts school. It would be interesting to know who owns it.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Offices + 2-10 Silverdale

21-27 Silverdale

28 Silverdale
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Once again you have both made my day. A stables would fit with my thinking with the hay staying dry on the second floor and bales being delivered through the hatch you see from the road.

Silverdale looks very fine in those pictures! I won't make any comment on it now as that's the rate of 'progress' and I think enough has been written about compulsary purchase orders, no need to stir that hornet's nest! It's interesting how the P.O. and the ice rink look very, very similar in terms of building?

As for the black cabs wreckers yard, it's reasonably well maintained if something of an eyesore but I'd guess it's preferable to some modern rabbit-hutch flats being thrown up as per the other side of the tracks.

Steve, I don't think I've ever told you where the missing boundary stone is? If you'd like to know please PM me and I'll gladly give you my best directions.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

That grassy area looks intrigueing... I wasn't even aware it existed.

Apparently, there was once also a Golf Course around the back of the Golden Lion.

BTW, the other day, I saw a boundary stone at the start of the alleyway opposite Thorpewood Ave at the top of Kirkdale.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

That's not the missing one Falkor (I think)...

The one I referred to I stumbled on (literally) near to RebelMC's house. It's pretty much buried. I think Steve has all but one mapped and it would be roughly where it should be in terms of location - if you'd like to give me a call we could go find it abd see if it is the missing boundary stone?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

What on earth is occurring on that patch of land to your left as you pull away from Sydenham Station on the up line? I mean the sort of wreckers' yard for black cabs
I had a look around... There's a few parked cars inside, probably used by the local neighbourhood, one of whom took great pride in reminding me this land is in fact private property. Unfortunately, by the time I remembered to ask her who owned the land, she had already disappeared up a thin alleyway leading into the back garden of, presumably, her house (east of the main entrance). I went to take a photo of this waste ground, but my digital camera was in the wrong mode, so here's a short movie clip instead:
Download video...

There's about 3 black cabs... look out for the 2 passing trains! :D