Begging in Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie

Re: Begging in Sydenham Road

Post by Annie »

I am happy to hear and pay Buskers,
But I thought that Buskers had to have a permit?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Again in theory yes Anne and I expect many do.
Often give if they are
1. Good
2. Not threatening
alywin

Post by alywin »

alywin wrote:
rshdunlop wrote:I should think with the advent of Oyster cards there are far fewer paper tickets to pass around.
No, you just pass the Oyster around instead. That *is* permitted, provided it's a general Oystercard and not a season, and that not more than one of you is trying to use it at a time.
Because things got a little fraught on here at the time about what was and wasn't permitted, I thought I'd come back and post something I've just found on the TFL website:

"You can give your Oyster card to someone else
If your Oyster only has pay as you go credit at adult rate on it you can let someone else use it, even if the card is registered in your name." (The bolding is mine)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well really it's common sense,if it's pay as you go and 2 people use it then two fares have been paid.where if you pass a season ticket to someone else then because it hasn't
Registered as 2 seperate people then only 1has been paid for.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
alywin

Post by alywin »

alywin wrote:There was a woman at Penge East today trying to cadge a used Travelcard off passersby - very unhealthy-looking skin colour. No idea if it was related to what everyone else has reported. I was reminded of the campaign they have at Victoria and elsewhere to prevent people from passing on Travelcards they've finished with because they get re-sold and used to boost the drugs trade.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought we had a separate one for people trying to obtain used Travelcards etc. at Penge East, only I can't find it. There was a woman in the vicinity of Penge West on Saturday asking for a Travelcard or an Oystercard. I wonder if it was the same woman I saw at P.E. - she certainly had a very pallid skin colour, but her hair was under a beanie, so I couldn't be sure.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod

What I wrote . I like it.

I agree with Mr B , the ticket is property of the railway company and the conditions clearly say not transferable.

If you are stupid enough to pass to a stranger then the fact they traveled free illegally will mean ticket prices have to rise more than they otherwise would.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:... the fact they traveled free illegally will mean ticket prices have to rise more than they otherwise would.
Not unless they had the money and would have otherwise paid. Whereas the use of your Freedom Pass on a journey you would have made anyway does cost other people.

Stuart
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Stuart,
You amaze me sometimes. :roll:
stuart

Post by stuart »

I wish I could amaze more people more often. But its good you agree on this one. You do, don't you?

Stuart
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

No.
For a church going person,your tolerance level seems to be low.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Annie,

I'm confused. I am an atheist. I was stating an economic fact. I wasn't intentionally tolerating or not tolerating anything.
If you think the fact wrong please correct me or advise me of what I'm being intolerant about ...

Stuart
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I do not like the resentment of Freedom passes, why link that to someone dodging paying for their fare?
Childish I thought.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Annie,

I'm afraid you have got the wrong end of the stick and imagined I have said something I didn't. Or couldn't.

I am a proud Freedom Pass user as well as an atheist. Indeed that 12:36 train today in the other thread together with the journey up this morning was free to me with my beloved card. The one great thing about being old^H^H^H mature.

But it costs the council taxpayer. I appreciate it as a great benefit and am grateful to people who pay and do not yet benefit from it or may never will.

Whereas a beggar without a ticket may be a nuisance but not a cost as no revenue is likely to have been lost. Fact.

Stuart
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

There are professional beggers as well Stuart,who can earn a lot more than you and I.
why should beggers get free travel?
stuart

Post by stuart »

I am just back from holiday. I was reading Orwell's 'Down and out in Paris and London'.
While it was set in 1933 it has a lot to say about beggars and such 80 years on.
Worth a read.

Stuart
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thank you Stuart,I may well take your advice.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie

You are quite correct in attacking the suggestion that Freedom Passes have not been earned. I have paid , and still do , enough taxes.

Fare evasion is quite a different issue and you be stamped on very hard.