Sewing Shops

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Jules

Sewing Shops

Post by Jules »

Does anyone know of any good sewing shops in the area?
There used to be one in Maple Road, Penge, is it still there?

Cheers. :D
michael

Re: Sewing Shops

Post by michael »

http://stagandbow.com/ in Dartmouth Road, Forest Hill.
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

Maples closed years ago. House of Linens in Sydenham (near Boots) sells some haberdashery. In Lewisham there's Rolls & Rems (dressmaking & homefurnishing fabrics and haberdashery) and Sakhi Fabrics (not sure of spelling) which has lots of dressmaking fabrics.
randomv

Post by randomv »

There is also one at the bottom (Tooting end) of Balham High Road. Bit of a schlep but it's a good store and IMHO is much friendlier than Rolls and Rems.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
KM

Post by KM »

I've been told Fabrics Galore on Lavender Hill are good and apparently reasonable.
Fabric205 on Lordship Lane

What are you after?
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

There is a good sewing machine shop in Deptford High Street, which sells new and reconditioned machines and does repairs and servicing. Rolls and Rems is OK for cheap fabric, Fabrics Galore slightly more upmarket with Liberty Prints etc. Depends what you are looking for.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I just need replacement sewing machine needles and some good quality cotton.
I might be very lazy and go on line.
WeatherGirl

Post by WeatherGirl »

The carpet/curtain shop on Sydenham High St does all your basic [and a bit more] sewing bits.
southernmoose

Post by southernmoose »

gerispringer wrote:There is a good sewing machine shop in Deptford High Street, which sells new and reconditioned machines and does repairs and servicing. Rolls and Rems is OK for cheap fabric, Fabrics Galore slightly more upmarket with Liberty Prints etc. Depends what you are looking for.
I've just come back from Deptford, to get my sewing machine fixed based on this recommendations. What a great shop! The guys really know their stuff and are v.friendly, and the price was reasonable - thanks.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Yes, House of Curtains is perfectly adequate for most misc haberdashery. They will also order for you if possible if you have a specific need.

I've always liked Rolls and Rems - good selection of most fabrics and I noticed they also sell foam (will cut to size by order) for cushion pads etc. Blinking good eat-in fish & chip shop next door too.

I bought my sewing machine from the Deptford High Street shop many many years ago. I half wish it would break down so I could justify buying a new one, lol, but it's still going strong, and yes they know their stuff *thumbup* Deptford market adjacent (Saturdays) used to be good for cheap fabrics, but have to check they've been wound properly on the bolt or the grain's off true (it's the weft technically, and a right pain if skewed).

There's another sewing machine shop that does repairs in Bromley that I've been to re my overlocker. It's slightly closer than Deptford: Bromley Sewing Machines on Homesdale Road: http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/1355/53884.php About 1/4 mile from the Waldo Rd refuse tip if you know where that is.