Lewisham Adult Ed

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydeman

Lewisham Adult Ed

Post by sydeman »

Does anyone know who made the stupid and incompent decision that anyone who wants to enroll on an adult education class has to do in person rather than on the phone like the past years? waiting in a queue now for possibly about 3 to 4 hours. i cannot do anything else in this time. in this day and age of communications, why are Lewisham subjecting people to soviet era conditions? why are old and infirm and disabled people as well as able bodied people having to queue for such long? why could they not put on more staff? its pathetic and just shows the contempt that Lewisham has in its people

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
TomH550

Re: Lewisham Adult Ed

Post by TomH550 »

I did hear this policy was brought in after a Lewisham councillor couldnt get through on the phone and created waves. I am not sure how accurate this is, but would be nice to know
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Lady G is in the same situation. She said on Saturday the queues were around the block and they only had four people enrolling people. Ridiculous, and as you said in this day and age. You should really be able to enroll by telepathy!

Good luck.

G-Man
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

As the Cabinet Member with Community Education Lewisham in my portfolio I wish to respond to the comments on the enrolment arrangements.

The [prospectus for 2012/13](http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/SiteCollecti ... ngMain.pdf)
was available at the taster day on Thursday 14 June. There are over 700 part time courses listed with a standard fee set by the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) of £4.20 per hour and a 50% concession for state pension age and those on Job Seekers Allowance etc. These courses are heavily subsidised by the SFA and it is a requirement that Learner Agreements are signed on enrolment.

There has been a decrease year on year in funding from the SFA and Lewisham need to balance administration resources with front line teaching so we decided that enrolment would be in person at the teaching centres. The admin staff are able to support the learner and manage the necessary paperwork.

The enrolment arrangements are in the prospectus and a Saturday was chosen as the first day because of the high demand for some courses. I understand people started queuing at Brockley Rise from 6.30am to ensure they were at the front of a first come first served basis when the doors opened at 9am. There are four computer terminals each linked to a card machine for payment and I am told that staff continued working until 3.30pm to make sure everyone in the queue was registered. Granville Park also had a queue and had three staff on the computer terminals.

As there were two registration centres on Saturday it was necessary for staff to constantly check availability and I have been advised that in the first hour one of the courses was fully booked. Enrolment will continue at the centres until the start of term. There are more 10 week courses this year so we hope to attract more new learners. For 2011/12 there were nearly 4,000 learners on over 7,000 enrolments.