Portas Pilot SEE3 ideas

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Portas Pilot SEE3 ideas

Post by Rachael »

You have a point, marianne, but there is also a history here relating to earlier posts by art4. If you just read this tread by itself, it does seem like a completely one-sided attack.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

JulietP wrote:I am really starting to get depressed by this kind of thread. The Portas Pilot is happening, there are some capable people working on it. They need a lot of support and enthusiasm from us as the community to ensure that it delivers what it has the potential to deliver. Enough of the snide comments, the anonymous "concerns expressed" and the open bickering. If you want to moan, take it offline or to PM or email. We don't want to hear it and there's nothing constructive to be gained by it being on the forum. :(

Rant over.
Agree 100% Pathetic and irritating. Hopefully that's an end to it and the PP can forge ahead successfully. Onwards and upwards!
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

So when did JP get promoted to admin/mod then?

You can't make this sort of demand on an open forum about what appears to me to be, from the outside looking in, an emotive subject. people usually complain because they want to see the right sorts of things happen, it's what happens with most projects like this, they're usually blighted by red tape, dilly dallying around and bureaucracy that sees a substandard end product being delivered.
CaptainCarCrash

marianne wrote:As I was reading through this thread I was wondering, who ARE these people commenting on art4's posts in such an aggresive manner - who elected them to run this thread?
I think you'll find they are, if I may be so bold? in actual fact, nobody.

But like all forums kangaroo courts are rife and this place is no different.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

mikecg wrote:So when did JP get promoted to admin/mod then?

You can't make this sort of demand on an open forum about what appears to me to be, from the outside looking in, an emotive subject. people usually complain because they want to see the right sorts of things happen, it's what happens with most projects like this, they're usually blighted by red tape, dilly dallying around and bureaucracy that sees a substandard end product being delivered.
Says the master of outrageous statements and diatribes! :D

JulietP can express her opinion as much as anyone else on here - and on this I am in full agreement. Petty bickering is tiresome though, in the extreme (says V in bickering mode).
CaptainCarCrash

Voyageur wrote: Says the master of outrageous statements and diatribes! :D

JulietP can express her opinion as much as anyone else on here - and on this I am in full agreement. Petty bickering is tiresome though, in the extreme (says V in bickering mode).
Yes but that's not to say she is right or that the other comment about not bringing it on here is right either.

Thanks for the compliment, however I don't think I'm that outrageous really. I just think too many people are feeble minded and fragile.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

mikecg wrote:
Voyageur wrote:

Thanks for the compliment, however I don't think I'm that outrageous really. I just think too many people are feeble minded and fragile.
There are a great many sensitive souls, I agree (for once).
art4

Post by art4 »

Good job you were on hand rshdunlop to keep this subject/ thread so balanced.
rshdunlop wrote:You have a point, marianne, but there is also a history here relating to earlier posts by art4. If you just read this tread by itself, it does seem like a completely one-sided attack.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
BillC

Post by BillC »

I've been reading this forum for many years, but never posted before, this has driven me to it.

I was recently in Cornwall and happened to visit Liskeard, I had forgotten that they were a Portas Pilot town and it this poster actually reminded me that Sydenham was too, as I hadn't really seen anything about it.

I thought this poster was really good for those residents who don't read this board or aren't a member of the Sydenham Society (the only 2 places I've seen mention of it).

Poster: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8115 ... efd7_b.jpg

I also thought that the idea of having a community day is good, are there things (such as cleaning the marble between each of the shop fronts) that a group of people can do with very little skill/equipment that would otherwise cost money or fall into a grey area of responsibility?
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Great idea Bill, and I think this would be a fantastic committee to set up and a great way to bring the community together in a positive way. The best way to feed in ideas of this kind will be via the community hubs. We hope to be able to provide news on the status of the Jack & Jill community hubs (http://www.see3.co.uk/jack-jill/) very soon but I can tell you that we're aiming to have one open in Sydenham by the end of November.

We are also in the process of appointing a Town Team Manager (http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8543) and part of their role will be to build a Town Team. We already have a Marketing Committee and from tomorrow we will have a Christmas Committee. I think an aim for the Town Team will be to have a series of action groups in the form of committees (although of course this will be for the Town Team Manager to determine) and perhaps one of these could be something along the lines of a Visual Improvements Committee for example. Certainly one to throw into the mix.

I'd just like to reiterate to those reading the thread that it is going to be difficult to monitor this thread, reply and action all of the suggestions so it would be great if you can come into our hubs once they are up and running to tell us what you want from the high streets and share any bright ideas like this.

Louise Brooks
SEE3 Core Team
art4

Post by art4 »

It might be that this forum is the route for locals to present their ideas.

Advertising jobs by SEE3 is only a formality.

I think we should start a new thread. which contributes to the actual managment.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

art4 wrote:
Advertising jobs by SEE3 is only a formality.
Good grief - you're not STILL at it are you?
art4

Post by art4 »

Voyageur

If you would spend your time, hovering on the forum, thinking of a comment to add to many subjects, I am probably going to be the one to give the exclamation
art4

Post by art4 »

rshdulop you must have a view.

JulietP?
art4

Post by art4 »

Lee sorry i forgot you,.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I've met some of the people have taken positions and some of the volunteers and I have to say they are great, professional people.

So, ART4, if you were in charge, where would you advertise the jobs?

How would you get landlords to give you space for pop ups and hubs for reduced rent?

Infact, how about giving some help to the project rather than making the jobs of the people involved in it more difficult. If you REALLY want to help Sydenham, how about sharing your knowledge, or volunteering some time like other people are?
art4

Post by art4 »

I don't mind sharing my ideas.

Sure.

But I am also against helping when you self gratualate (sp?) and offer yourself positions
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Who is doing that?
Where did you get this idea from?

So we look forward to your ideas. This is about your town. How about trying to help make it better?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

art4 wrote:rshdulop you must have a view.

JulietP?
My view is the same as the one I stated before - that I have no idea if your complaints are valid or not because you don't offer evidence. If you don't say here what your evidence is, people are just going to perceive your repeated attacks as sour-grapes and dismiss you. And you are doing your own business no favours by continuing this approach. I'm not saying you are right or wrong - I don't know. I can only go on the impression you give here. I have nothing to do with SEE3 or the Portas project other than being a interested local resident, so ALL my comments on this issue are based on what I read here.
art4

Post by art4 »

I'm not here to complain.

Just slightly fed up receiving messages, which I feel should be posted here instead.

I'll try to think of some positive ways to contribute.