2nd Sydenham (St Michael's)Scout Group

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Chrise

2nd Sydenham (St Michael's)Scout Group

Post by Chrise »

The 2nd Sydenham Scout group has been in existence since 1938 and has been associated since formation with St Michael's Church in Champion Crescent SE26. The group is flourishing and in 2007 Scouting will celebrate its centenary year.

It would be good to hear from former Scouts of the 2nd Sydenham group who are still in the area.

I am told that during the war St Michael's church was bombed and the Scouts helped to raise money for the current hall which is used as the Scout HQ. Confirmation of this would be interesting. I am also trying to find the oldest former member who is still in the area. You can post a reply here or e mail me on chrise@fsmail.net.

If anyone is interested in joining we have vacancies for both boys and girls aged 6-14.

Chris
lemonade

Hello

Post by lemonade »

Hello Chrise
Sorry to hijack your thread but I just wondered if you're Chrisf? :?
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

No, sorry. I am definately Chris E.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

2007 is the centenary year of scouting. If anyone who has a son or daughter who may like to join, please get in touch. Chris
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

Over recent months and probably due to the centenary of Scouting we have had quite a few enquiries for places within the Scout group. We still have a few places available, but we have a pressing need for new adult leaders.

If you have couple of hours to spare each week and would like to put something back into the community, please get in touch. Chris
davetheeagle

Re: 2nd Sydenham (St Michael's)Scout Group

Post by davetheeagle »

Whilst I'm not sure about the scouts raising money for the new church hall I do recall the new church being built as we lived opposite in Champion Crescent. This was in 1956 although I believe the church hall was added at a later date. Looking at a picture of the school itself in the City of London archives it would appear that the school hall and dining room was built at the same time. The original church was positioned at right angle to the new church so it did possibly protrude into what is now the school hall and upper playground.

The old church was certainly destroyed in the war. I do have some more information on this but I recall the only casualty was the vicar's dog.

I was in the cubs and the scouts in the 1960s / 1970s. We originally met in the old church hall in Bell Green (now St Michaels House) and then the school hall and then the new church hall. The groups were run by Ron Daniels (Skipper) and his wife Margaret? (Akela). They lived in one of the houses attached to the school in Champion Road.

The only regular fundraising that I recall was the collection of old newspapers. When the group moved to Champion Crescent we used the old air raid shelter in the infant school playground for storage. The papers had to be bundled up to a certain weight and tied with string. The waste paper collector would park his lorry in Adamsrill Road and the bundles would be passed over the fence.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I was a member of the cubs and scouts in the 50's in the troup based at Barts. Cannot remember the number.

Remember Bob a Job well. Surely that was a great way of fund raising.

Cannot anyone explain why Scouts seem to be open to both sexes , the Guides are exclusively for the ladies.
Seems discrimination alive and active in BP's movement.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

I too, very much doubt that Sir Robert Baden-Powell would have intended a uni-sex way of
thinking about this movement either. Apparently the traditions and intentions were set out
by General Baden-Powell in 1907 in his book 'Scouting for boys'.

I attended Cubs at the scout hut which was at the top end of Carlton Terrace near to the
prefab buildings (later became the new St Barts School). This would have been in the early
1960's and I recall that these scouts were 'Air Scouts', some kind of affiliation to the RAF,
some others were Sea Scouts. Maybe someone could explain further about these affiliations? :)
I didn't go on to Scouts but joined the St John Ambulance Brigade, C94 division, at Elliot Bank School as a cadet, we went camping and did our 1st aid duties mainly at CP race circuit.

I've always held youth organisations in high regard and very glad I attended as a lad so wish
2nd Sydenham (St Michaels) Scouts all the very best!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bradford
Very many apologies I was under the impression you had at one time said you were a Lady. You now confirm you are a Gentleman so must have confused you with another.
Very humble apologies.

Yes I think Lord BP used the ideas when he was releaved at Mafeking for his organisation.
Lady BP founded the Guides.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Bradford
Very many apologies I was under the impression you had at one time said you were a Lady. You now confirm you are a Gentleman so must have confused you with another.
Very humble apologies.

Yes I think Lord BP used the ideas when he was releaved at Mafeking for his organisation.
Lady BP founded the Guides.
Prob a typo mistake, eg; Lad---('y' crept on the end) Soy noy needy toy apologisey. :D

I believe that Scouting has been uni-sex for quite a while now. I didn't realise that Lady BP
had founded the Girl Guides either! :wink: (I should have attended School more often too).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

My son, aged 12, is skiing in Switzerland this week with the Independent Sydenham Scouts based at Our Lady and St Philip Neri school. They are staying at the international scout centre in Kanderstag, meeting Scouts of all ages (and both genders) from all over the world. I've barely heard from him since he left on Saturday carrying everything he needed in a rucksack almost as big as him, so I assume he is too busy having fun to think about calling his mother. Scouting is alive and well in our corner of London.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Rachael on 11 Feb 2013 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
davetheeagle

Post by davetheeagle »

14BradfordRoad wrote: I attended Cubs at the scout hut which was at the top end of Carlton Terrace near to the
prefab buildings (later became the new St Barts School). This would have been in the early
1960's and I recall that these scouts were 'Air Scouts', some kind of affiliation to the RAF,
some others were Sea Scouts. Maybe someone could explain further about these affiliations?
The Air Scouts and Sea Scouts are members of the scouting movement although their respective emphasis is on flying and water based activities. Both had their origins in the early days of scouting.

Major Baden Fletcher Smyth Baden-Powell, Robert Baden-Powell's youngest brother introduced flying activities and sea scouting was introduced by Baden-Powell with the assistance of another brother, Warington Baden-Powell KC.
JJCMG

Post by JJCMG »

Hi Rachael

I have to sadly inform you this group you speak of is not scouting :(. They are not a part of the UK scout association (which is the types of scouts like the 2nd) and the group your son is skiing with are not even members of the world federation of independent scouts. They are nothing more than a youth group really and have nothing to do with any type of scouts.

Rachael wrote:My son, aged 12, is skiing in Switzerland this week with the Sydenham Scouts based at Our Lady and St Philip Neri school. They are staying at the international scout centre in Kanderstag, meeting Scouts of all ages (and both genders) from all over the world. I've barely heard from him since he left on Saturday carrying everything he needed in a rucksack almost as big as him, so I assume he is too busy having fun to think about calling his mother. Scouting is alive and well in our corner of London.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I am quite aware of the independent nature of this Scouts group and how they came to be that way. They were part of the UK Scouts Association for decades and while they are now independent, to say that what they do is nothing to do with 'scouting' is unfair. They contain in the spirit in which they were founded and their activities reflect this: skiing, camping, sailing, archery, canoeing. I could go on. If they are 'just a youth group', so be it. They are a damned fine one.

JJCMG

Post by JJCMG »

Yes , I am also well aware that due to the outright recklessness of the former members and why it lead to their dismissal. But what I was trying to make you aware of , was the fact to be an independent scout group you have to be registered with WFIS . With they are also not . Thus meaning they have on scouting connection anymore sadly. But the group with they were removed from is still alive and well at the bridge I heard.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

JJCMG wrote:Yes , I am also well aware that due to the outright recklessness of the former members and why it lead to their dismissal. But what I was trying to make you aware of , was the fact to be an independent scout group you have to be registered with WFIS . With they are also not . Thus meaning they have on scouting connection anymore sadly. But the group with they were removed from is still alive and well at the bridge I heard.

I don't think this is the place for throwing around accusations like 'outright recklessness'. Especially as you are posting anonymously. I do know the leader of the group at the Bridge is called Gemma McGill, but I'm sure the similarity to your initials here is a co-incidence.

I am happy with the group at St Philip Neri, whether they are officially 'scouts' or not, and so I am sure are many of the other parents. I've edited my post above to correct the name of the group to the Independent Sydenham Scouts so there is no confusion between that and the group at the Bridge.
Last edited by Rachael on 11 Feb 2013 12:46, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It amazes me that girls can join the Scouts but boys cannot join The Guides.

Case for Sex discrimination.