Tesco Coming to Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
rspca

Tesco Coming to Sydenham Road

Post by rspca »

I don't know if this news has already been posted but we have received a letter today from Tesco advising us that they shall be moving in next door to us very shortly.

RSPCA, Sydenham Road
Nigel

Re: Tesco Coming to Sydenham Road

Post by Nigel »

After reading the somewhat agonised thread about what the forum is for , with all of its references to trolls ( I think t**t-er speak for some who disagrees with you or thinks public money can be spent several times ) I think your post serves to remind us of its great importance.
The arrival of Tesco is to me repulsive news and I sincerely hope there is something we can do collectively to keep it away.
If nothing else every man Jack of us should boycott it - there will be nothing on sale that can't be bought from our very decent CoOp- and the effect it will have on the recent improvements will be very grim.
Unless you are one of the feckless types that can't predict to plus or minus 24 hours when you will need Sellotape or lemon curd - you really have no business in there when we have such a great and growing range of fantastic shops and even fantasticer shopkeepers.
Good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Thanks RSPCA. More choice for us who use the high street and may possibly help
the other shops with a few more customers too.
When is this likely to happen? and Is this good/bad news for yourselves RSPCA?
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

There was a post earlier about 'where have all the posters gone'...well this forum used to be so good, informative and with decent written pieces of news...well someone only has to read Rod and Nigel to get an idea why this forum has gone downhill
Rararachael

Post by Rararachael »

Do you know which shop unit they are taking over? Is it the pub?

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Sydman
I have no idea what you have taken exception to but if I want to announce my disgust at the arrival of Tesco , I will .
You will note that I frame my contempt against a background of concern for proper Sydenham traders
who bring so much to the place.
You are fully entitled to your opinion , such as it is , but if I can't speak up for the likes of Fresh and Fruity , Sema's , Kirkdale Books, Sydenham DIY, the CoOp , the nice dry cleaner at the top of the High Street , Twice Sweet, The Dolphin, Lemon Tree, Pete's newsagents, the show mender , Billings , Slatters - all of whom will lose out to Tesco then i see no point in having a Sydenham Forum.
To quote General Patten - we are not at home to negative Nancy - I say resist Tesco and if that flies in the face of anyone's idea of choice then Rupert Murdoch ,Tony Blair and Cameron have done their work.

A very good evening
Nigel

angela53

Post by angela53 »

Sydenham Road has far too many empty shops. While I hope for more, and support existing independent retailers, Tesco is better than rows of boarded up shop fronts like all those next to the Greyhound !!
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Oh dear! A simple informative post I thought? :D
Most shoppers like a varied choice, it might improve the high street for all concerned?

Btw Rod, 'Dobbin on toast' made me laugh :lol: :lol: , might help me run faster though!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I bought some beef from Tesco. It gave me the trotts.
dickp

Post by dickp »

I guess it must be the site Two Halves - that is the only place close to the RSPCA shop that's big enough.

Sainsbury's must be spitting feathers about the Greyhound stuff up.

That said, there is a Co-op, Sainsbury's and Tesco very close to each other in West Norwood, so I guess the model can work.

I look forward to Tesco's arrival.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I expect the Tesco legal team may be looking at one or two of the comments.

Anything is an improvement on the so called pub . This was not an historic pub so can claim not rights to remain a Pub .

Not sure what this will do to the rest of the High Street. Time will tell I guess.
Used to be a grocer at that spot ( or close to ) in the 50's, run by a Mr Finch.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Good news - The overpriced and poorly stocked Co-op is in need of some decent competition. The retail offering on the high street is currently risible.

The added convenience and the tidying up of the area around RSPCA will be well worth it.
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

rod taylor wrote: Many of the products Tesco sell are a severe health risk and have been linked to obesity, heart disease and cancer.
Do you mean products like cheese, chocolate, alcohol, cigarettes? Products that are widely available in supermarkets throughout the country?

On Lewisham's planning website there are currently four applications from Tesco in relation to 42 Sydenham Road (the former Two Half's): installation of new shopfront, ATM, internally illuminated fascia, and plant equipment. No documents uploaded yet.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I hate Tescos and urge everyone, including their legal team not to shop there.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I used to work for Tesco and I hate them too. They are already in Kirkdale and Catford and Forest Hill. I wont be using them. Tesco Metro's are more expensive than normal Tesco. They are the same everywhere, their food is inferior to other supermarkets. They treat their suppliers very badly.

Now Tesco are here they will probably drive up rents making it even more difficult for many independents to open here. This has happened in West Norwood. Shop rents only ever go up. This will make it more difficult for slightly riskier ventures to start on the high street. Hopefully the pop ups will alleviate that.

Tesco wont attract new money onto the high street. They bring nothing new, no value and are of no benefit to other shop owners. It's generic blandness. Give me a PFC over a Tesco PLC anyday.

It's an interesting debate about empty shops, but having spoken to someone who wanted to open a funky cafe offering something really different, all the empty sites are now gone that would have suited their business and are now businesses that really shouldn't be on a corner site. So Sydenham misses out. It's a shame.

I also understand that the old awning factory will be staying this way for quite some time.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Terrible news. Such a shame. Absolutely disgusted. I think all those who think it is a bad idea should object to the planning. Can we start another Shop Revolution?

The problem is to many people in Sydenham convenience will come over ethics. I see this happening with many of my 'ethical' friends who live near a Tesco Express/Metro. At least Co-op has a conscience.

I can see it having hugely negative impact on the high street. I'm sure places like PFC and Istanbul will be hit hard. Such a shame.

I'm sure it's been in the pipeline for ages though. But I didn't think they were landing at the two halfs. I really was hoping for another decent boozer.

G-Man

dickp

Post by dickp »

I understand the alternative bidder was a poundland or something similar.
dickp

Post by dickp »

In my book it does. I will probably pop into Tesco on the High Street every other day. I wouldn't have if it had been a Poundland - you can't buy milk at Poundland. My footfall along Sydenham High Street will increase. Heck, I might even drop by another shop while I'm there.

Of course, when Sainsbury's gets its act together, I'll likely switch to them instead, because it'll be one of the closest shop to my flat to buy milk. But, for now, Tesco will do nicely.
stuart

Post by stuart »

The one virtue of Sydenham Road is that it is a Tesco-free zone. Dick I'm surprised that a man of your taste would be tempted in to that evil den.

I had the misfortune to have to stay in a place that only had a Tesco supermarket. There was no choice. The 'value' food was disgusting. In taste and the effects on your gut. A sick bloated feeling persisted for days after my return.

Of course I didn't know what was in it. And we are only now beginning to learn ... as for your dismissal of far finer food halls already here - I challenge you to a blind testing of a co-op baguette against an ordinary (not value) Tesco baguette. See if you can spot the one that is just a pile of adulterated salt.

I'm all up for welcoming anybody who wants to open a shop here - even Tescos. The other side of the coin is that I join with the others suggesting you boycott it. You can, of course, ignore that but then you will indeed get your just desserts (try the £1 value gateaux if you are really 'ard).

Me? I'll be eating Lidl bananas ...

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not a great fan of Tesco but surprised at the violent attitudes to them by some people. Of course everyone entitled to their views and can boycott if they wish.

Gentleman who just pops in for milk makes me long for the days of milk deliveries. Was this not better for society.