Allotments

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
sean

Allotments

Post by sean »

Just moving to the area - are there any gardening societies and allotments in the area ? Thanks in advance for the info.
user100

Post by user100 »

Lots of allotments in the area (just look at the map and see how many green areas of parks, allotments and playing fields we have), e.g. kent house road (at then end of woodbastwick rd), Lennard road, also one down at the end of cricket lane (basically the allotment is behind the bend on Kent house road) there is an excellent one, also down the lane towards the park where cator meets trewsbury road (although it doesnt look too amazing in terms of facilities), and so on and on.

Check out the bromley and lewisham borough websites to get a full list. I recommend the one down cricket lane, great facilities and well run, mind you the kent house road one looks good too to be fair.

You have a good chance of getting an allotment for next year if you get down there now, even though its now a 'trendy' activity among some people. In some parts of london you'd be on a waiting list for ages.

Please post back and let us know how you get on.
sean

Allotments

Post by sean »

Thanks for that. I'll be out and about this weekend checking them out. I already have an allotment in Castillon Road but it's going to be too far away once I've moved. Any ideas of gardening clubs? Thanks.
AliT

Post by AliT »

Trewsbury Road Allotments are great!!! We have a lovely small friendly site with a great sense of community. A toilet is planned and a new clubhouse has been applied for. Not sure about availability of plots but if you pm me I can find out for you. There is a much larger site down near Lower Sydenham station (not sure of the name and have no idea about their waiting list). Good luck.
KM

Allotments

Post by KM »

You can contact Lewisham council via their website and ask to be placed on the waiting list. You supply your preferred three allotments in the borough and they add you to the list. They contact you when one becomes available.

Slight problem...the list for some of the allotments in Sydenham is 2.5 - 3 years long, as I discovered this year...
sean

Post by sean »

I would just like to thank AliT for putting me onto the Trewsbury Allotment site. I contacted the secretary and have now been on the site for the past few weeks. Which plot are you? I'm no. 52. In only a smal time I have experienced the sense of community and can say that it is the best site I've been on.

http://meandmyallotment.blogspot.com/
AliT

Post by AliT »

Hi
I've just put 2 and 2 together... we met you on Sunday! I'm the one with the baby. Happy allotmenting and we'll see you down there I'm sure.