The Haven 42 crystal palace park road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Teresac

The Haven 42 crystal palace park road

Post by Teresac »

I am looking for information on what was a childrens home run by the salvation army. Its entrance was situated originally in crystal palace park road number 42. I cant find any photos of that building before it was knocked down. It was build in the 1800's and was i assume part of the lush houses built oposite the crystal palace park road entrance to the crystal palace. It was huge house and had a cottage situated in its grounds. I am told it was knocked down and rebuilt due to subsidance and has been replaced with a new building also called The Haven which is a childrens home.

I would imagine it was in the news over the years and seeking help tracing its history.

It had a huge garden and behind it was an old peoples homes to the left.

Its entrance was lined with lots of fir trees and there was an old bunker there too which we were always told was for the war.

Does anyone have any information

I apreciate all the help I can get on this building.

I know at one stage it was part of some sort of benevolent fund before it turned into a childrens home

Teresa
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Hi Theresa

I believe this is the house you mean:

This picture shows the back of the house, probably in the late 1930s. There is another picture, showing the front, in a book called "Sydenham and Forest Hill Past" by John Coulter, but unfortunately my scanner is not working at the moment.

The Haven was originally called Willoughby House and was, as you say, at 42 Crystal Palace Park Road. The first occupant was James Samuel who lived there from 1860 (when the house was built) to 1866. He gets a brief mention in <Wikipedia>

The original house was demolished in the 1970s, to be replaced by a modern building still called The Haven (which was opened by the Duke of Westminster in 1982).
Teresac

re The Haven

Post by Teresac »

oh my gosh you absolutely dynamic person xxxx

I have been trying to find it for so long. I have a book coming out in june 07 and the one place i was happy in was The Haven and was so desperate to see a picture of it. See how magnificent it was and as beautiful in that pic as it was in the 70's.

when i was there in 73-76 i think it had a witches hat, rounda bout, swings, playhouse the lot. There was a disused bunker oposite the front. Aparently it was used as a hospital during the war too and i have a little about it on my website from what i could get from the library and a couple of names of matrons there.

That house has an amazing history and i really want to cover its history as deep as i can for my site.

Its a shame i dont know where to obtain permission to put it in my book.

no2abuse.com is my site for my book and you are a star and made me very happy

XXX
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Here's a photo from 1968...
Teresac

Post by Teresac »

woooooooooooooooow. Im really emotional seeing that picture. Thankyou :-)

now thats exactly how i remember it.

My bedroom was the second bay in at the top left at the front

The pathway, it was so long and it was lined with fir trees and those bushes you can see. The building on the left in the background is the old peoples home :-) i used to love going to see them

I used to look at crystal palace from that bedroom window and it was like living a dream. You could see for miles and see the red flashing on the top of cystal palace tower thing. I have just had a lovely wave of thoughts come over me and recall also being in a bedroom at the back and was very ill. The staff used to sing, all i want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air, with someone who'd take good care oh wouldnt it be lovely.
Downstairs was our cloakroom and there were a row of sinks and we all had our own toothbrushes neatly placed on the side in a beaker with our name on it and our flannel.

To the right of the house was another little path and it led to the cooks cottage. Has that been knocked down too?

I assume it used to be used by the vicar before it turned into the Haven.

Im extremely pleased with the photo
Teresac

Post by Teresac »

starting from the bottom left

Just below & to the left of the steps was the cloakroom with sinks in and toilets (basement floor)

The room to the left of the front door was the main office

Room to the right of the front door was the staff room

The two backrooms were the childrens dinning and playgroup areas and there was also one for the youngest on the basement floor at the back

Upstairs were the bedrooms

Next section beyond the fire escape were playrooms and upstairs were bedrooms and staff bedrooms

They held a fate every year and we would buy bathsalts in different colours and decorate jars we used to collect off the local residents. They used to save them.

The back garden had lots of play area with sandpit, swings, roundabout, witches hat, slide and wendy house

I first discovered i was alergic to wasps when i got stung playing near the bushes on the right of that playground. I got my arm stuck under the roundabout too and chased and bitten by Renee the cooks dog called chummy. Its amazing what a person can remember if its a good experience :-) and most of it was for me.
I must revisit and watch the fireworks display. I used to love being taken there and to the little farm and play area in the main park directly opposite.

Maybe a should write about The Haven and more of my experience there

My book came out in June and I put a little about my experience in there. My book is called Pin Down and have a photo of the Haven in it :-)
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Can't beat nostalgia! :)

I've got about 150 photos of Crystal Palace Park Road from the 60s/70s! I know I've got some of the buildings next door and maybe across the road; worth posting up? A lot of buildings in the photos are still standing, but some may be altered or demolished by now. In fact, the collection of photos may include every building in the whole road at that time, but I need to do some past and present investigation.
Teresac

Post by Teresac »

I would love to see those photos.

Id be really greatful if you have any that i can use on my website no2abuse.com as im putting up photos of childrens homes i was in and several people who used to be in the haven are on my forum. (the blogs seem to be down for an hour now :-( but webby is working on it)

Several ex residents of the haven are on the forum and talking about their experiences. I have two newspaper articles on the haven and there is a book out with lots in it but its from the benevolent fund as thats who originally owned it and they rented it out to the salvation army.

There was an air raid shelter directly oposite the house.

Do you have any of the entrance to the haven with all the trees?

Or the cottage?

Rold harris lived down the road and i remember we knocked on his door for jam jars.

The old peoples home is still there and they have rebuilt the haven now.

Do you know why it was knocked down? I assume it was subsidance or something because when i was there, they were doing church donations to make repairs and said it might have to be knocked down. They moved the haven up to the top of crystal palace park road somewhere whilst they rebuilt the haven i think?

Teresa
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

There's definitely no more photos of The Haven, except the one Steve referred to in the book Sydenham and Forest Hill Past. I assume the Haven is on the north side of the road because you said you could see the TV mast from a window? Most of the photos I got seem to be from across the road on the odd side, but then I don't know exactly which numbers were opposite you. Here's some examples:

35-41

DO YOU RECOGNISE ANY OF THESE?

I can't tell which of the buildings photographed in the collection are demolished or still standing, even though I walk down the road all the time. :oops: I need to compare some maps; here's a good one to start off with:

davegr

Post by davegr »

Amazing pix there Falkor. Do you have any of number 69?
Falkor

Number 69

Post by Falkor »

Most of these are from 1972...

davegr

Post by davegr »

What a star Falkor!!! :D :D :D These are amazing.
davegr

Post by davegr »

I would love to traul through your archives-this is fantastic stuff. You wouldn't have any pictures of the back of 69?

We've been trying to find old photos of Crystal Palace park Road, especially 69 but haven't found any at all. We are unsure why this would be as there are many photos of smaller streets in the area.
wendy spenceley

Post by wendy spenceley »

I lived in The Cottage 2A Crystal Palace Park Road from 1946 to 1969 when it was demolished for an extension to Sydenham telephone exchange which stands on the site of a large house owned by a German doctor pre First World War. The Crystal Palace Park and Crystal Palace Park Road was my playground and I remember all the large houses particulary the Haven. I have pictures of our cottage opposite the Penge entance of the Park and will try and scan them in. does anyone else remember The Cottage at the Penge end of the road?
Special Agent

Post by Special Agent »

Hello. I've just found this forum and am already up well past my bedtime as I am SO excited to find a thread on the road that I live in, AND photos of the house I live in from the 1950's!!!

I just wanted to say thank you so much to Falkor for uploading the pics. I am really really interested in seeing more and also finding out more about the house. So... do you have any more pics of 43 and any other info about it? Or could you point me in the right direction to find out who it was built for, when it was built and I'd dearly love to see the original plans...

I am fascinated by the houses in the road and I can pretty much recognise all of the ones that you posted pictures of. They haven't really changed that much! Mine certainly hasn't. I was interested in no 42 The Haven though - it's obivously on the other side of the road from the park, and I know it's no longer there, but do you know what is now in it's place? I can't recall seeing a modern building called The Haven but then again it's amazing how you sometimes just don't notice things you see everyday...

Thank you again, this has really made my day.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

There is some more information on these houses here.
Special Agent

Post by Special Agent »

Thanks Steve, very interesting reading. Fingers crossed for more photos from Falkor...
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Have you tried the London Metropolitan archive, which is where I believe Falkor found them?
Special Agent

Post by Special Agent »

Thanks for this suggestion, I have emailed them to find out what they have...
funny girl

Hello, I was at the Haven SA Childrens Home 1961-1963ish

Post by funny girl »

Three of my sisters were there too..
It was great to find others from the home on this forum. I would like to organise a Havenite Reunion. Anyone else interested please contact me...
Incidentally I loved my time at the Haven. The circumstances that brought me there were very sad but I do have some lovely memories to share...

Thanks

Janet