*NEWS* Greyhound/Conservation Area

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nicholas

Grayhound

Post by Nicholas »

Thats a good idear, It's definatly worth asking.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Lee - the Sydenham Society has the names of three businesses who are anxious to move into the Greyhound building - two to run it as a pub, the other as a restaurant. All of these businesses have a strong and successful local track record and I am confident that any of them would run a successful business in the Grehound building.

We sincerely hope that the developer will take up some of these offers - or others if they appear to be better - to help turn this valuable site into a profitable venture both for the new business and for the developer.

All locals are also keen to see good quality housing built on this site - and we are fully confident that this too can make a substantial profit.

In the last weeks, the Sydenham Society has been in talks with the developer of the site just across the road (see "New Bar for Sydenham" thread) and we are delighted that this looks as if will turn into a development that all locals will welcome with open arms. Talks continue with the developer of the ex-Nickells Blind site further down the road and with a little bit of tweaking here and there (this is an ambitious development in a complex site) we will hopefully welcome another new high-quality business to our town.

People are starting to invest in our shopping area in a serious way spurred on by a £2m refurbishment of our high street in the next 18 months and a £1.2bn new rail system due to open in 2010. We remain hopeful that the owners of the Greyhound site will work with our local planners to develop this key site and unlock its valuable potential.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I've been e-mailed and asked to amend the last posting slightly.

Apparently the potential "restaurant" for the Greyhound is a local business who want to run the pub and combine it with a "buffet-style restaurant.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Brilliant news! Thanks for the reply...if (when...hopefully) I move to the area I will definately join the sydenham society.
Nicholas

Grayhound

Post by Nicholas »

I think the website whould run a poll to see if people want a Pub or a reserant on the site. I think it should stay a Pub and Stay the Grayhound.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

The Ex Greyhound would be a perfect building for a drive through restaurant what with the adjacent car park next door. I've seen a few old pubs converted this way in South London.
I think Burger king would be ideal as their burgers are much better then McD's.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

stone-penge wrote:The Ex Greyhound would be a perfect building for a drive through restaurant what with the adjacent car park next door. I've seen a few old pubs converted this way in South London.
I think Burger king would be ideal as their burgers are much better then McD's.
I hope that's a joke!

The worst case scenario!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I hope that's a joke too. I much prefer Maccy D's. :D
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

I've just walked past the GH and could hear the sound of "work" going on behind the hoarding across from the wedding wear store - could it be someone is working on the building illegally ? :twisted:
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Maybe it was some of the old locals, who had broken into the site to have a fight or sell drugs for old times sake.
poppy

Greyhound

Post by poppy »

The Railway looks like it could be a nice cosy pub if it was given a makeover.
poppy

Greyhound

Post by poppy »

Just read the 'buffet-style restaurant' bit (businesses interested in running a potential new venture at the Greyhound) . It sounds scarily like Harvesters/Beefeater!
Nicholas

Re: Greyhound

Post by Nicholas »

poppy wrote:The Railway looks like it could be a nice cosy pub if it was given a makeover.
Whats happening to The Railway?
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

We do not want a Harvester type pub in Sydenham. I recently went into the Harvester in between Forest Hill and East Dulwich (know the one?) and it felt like 1987. I suddenly sprouted a mullett haircut and found myself buying 20 Silk Cut and a pint of 'Harp' lager.

People have to acknowledge the changing demograhic of Sydenham - that's why the Dolphin is working out. Can't wait for the Blue Mountain coffee shop and yes The Railway would be a perfect cosy cool bar if it was upgraded.

I saw a bloke wearing carpet slippers in there the other day.

Not a good look.
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

WHO doesn't want harvester type pubs? Are you speaking for yourself or everyone on this board?
It's a matter of personal preference. YOU may want Dolphin type gastropubs everywhere, it's not to everyone's taste. What about the regulars in the Railway? Have you asked them what they want?
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

jumping in feet first - I agree with Nork1 - 100% - a little bit of variety would be nice - I can't see 5 pubs in sydenham where its £4+ a pint working - they would suffer surely - we'll just have to see what happens - but I think it would work out with a balance of both type of pub/bar - my pet hate is the £££ pound shop - just the one would do the job surely? - and another thing - why is there no cash point towards the bottom end of Sydenham road - if your in the Alfred for example - you've either got to walk up to the Barlcays or down to Savacentre to take out "free" cash i.e. not paying £2 for the pleasure of getting to your own money
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

But why would you be in the Alfred???
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

why not ?? - maybe I got lost one day !!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I don't think Sydenham boy was saying that every pub had to be like the Dolphin. But not every pub has to be like every other pub. Variety is good. Good service, good food at an honest price, well managed pubs are an asset to any area. I'm more against every pub having satellite TV and sticky carpet. I acknowledge there is a want for this, but not EVERYWHERE.

As for Harvester, it's a chain and a pretty crummy one at that. I'd rather have a real pub over a fake corporate faximile any day.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hey Sydenhamboy, when you went in the Harvester, did you get the immortal line 'Have you ever visted Harvester before?' ?? They used to use that one on the telly ad. I always thought that, if you wanted steak and chips (and peas), then a Harvester was alright. Only went once though, and that was in the 80's.

Also, Gooner, we should embrace our £ shops; we could attract £ shop enthusiasts from all over the world to our high street, for what must be the greatest selection on the planet. I'm surprised the Sydenham Society havent 'been in talks' about such a tourist opportunity.

If you ever find yourself with time to spare, go into one of them, and keep picking stuff up, and asking 'how much is this mate?' until they get bored with telling you that it costs £1.

Still, back to the Greyhound, and those beautiful grey hoardings. Long may they continue to be there - and they probably will be.