Sydenham under a new flight path?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jonekt

Sydenham under a new flight path?

Post by jonekt »

Noticed the number of planes going over Sydenham & the constant drone of airplanes is less than one a minute at the moment. It seems to have got particularly bad the last week or so.

My husband and I were in crystal palace park for 5 hours on Sunday evening and you could see just how many we're constantly flying over Sydenham. It was incredible. Has the flight paths been changed recently ?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Re: Sydenham under a new flight path?

Post by Rachael »

Yes, they have. They are running an experiment with the flight paths into Heathrow, especially for night-flights. There is a wide exclusion zone and we are just outside it, so we are getting a lot of the diverted traffic. It's worth letting the powers that be know (not sure who) if you find the noise troublesome as it is still an experiment and they are taking note of people's concerns. Residents of Honor Oak have complained vociferously and were featured on the local news a few days ago.

I was woken by what sounded like a jumbo jet going overhead at about 4:30am last week.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

Thanks Rachel for confirming my suspicions. It sounds like if we don't complain this could be permanent.

Does anyone have a number to contact to voice concerns? Also does anyone know if Sydenham society or chris best is also campaigning for this to be reduced?

giorgio_ne

Post by giorgio_ne »

It looks like we're trapped between City Airport and Heathrow flight paths. I'm not happy at all...

Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

I don't know how anyone can be disturbed by the London City traffic over Sydenham unless they've got really sensitive ears. The sound from the planes is no louder than a car passing (without the stereo blaring out). Can't say I've noticed much difference in the LHR traffic and it's never disturbed me or stopped me from sleeping. I might have something to complain about if I lived in Hammersmith though.
wrightie

Post by wrightie »

I also noticed an increase in noise pollution over the last few weeks. Last night was particularly bad, made worse by a helicopter. Regarding flights from City, there has been an increase in both frequency and noise. They’re still quite low over Sydenham and the noise is very noticeable as we’re under the ascent. Personally I feel City is pushing the boundary of what’s acceptable (recently added flights to NY). Being under both City and HR flight and holding areas, there are often 3 aircraft visible and audible at a time!

Taken from newsshopper...

How to make a complaint
To have your say email Heathrow with your name and address at noise_complaints@baa.com or call 0800 344844.
Tell campaign group HACAN on info@hacan.org.uk and johnstewart2@btconnect.com
Residents are asked to copy in Ms Parkin at brockleynoise@hotmail.co.uk and Councillor Darren Johnson at Darren.Johnson@london.gov.uk
The government are also consulting on the issue of night flights in general at night.noise@dft.gsi.gov.uk
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

The flight to NY is no worse than anything else that uses LCY.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Mr_Sheen wrote:The flight to NY is no worse than anything else that uses LCY.
I think the point is that LCY was established for city centre to city centre flights in near europe where the slowness of the (then ) aircraft was more than compensated for by the desk to desk timings because of proximity. This was arguably good for our wonderful bankers in Canary Wharf in propping up the economy at the expense of those who lived in the desolation which is East and South East London.

But what we have seen is mission creep. The worst example being the NY flight. Unlike Rotterdam it can only give, at best a marginal desk to desk advantage, if any, as the plane has to stop to refuel. Anyway after 8/10 hours travelling few people are fit for the desk anyway.

No its about something else. Just to provide convenience to the few at the expense of inconvenience to the many. Whilst this may now be fashionable it is no reason why it should not be resisted (or at least winged about). But if you can convince me it is having a real positive impact on the economy for us all or it is environmentally better (that is it emits less CO2, has a smaller noise population footprint per passenger) than an A380 from Heathrow then I'm all ears ...

Stuart
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do hope anyone who uses planes will not be hypocritical and complain.

I have not flown for 11 years and no intention of doing so. But tolerance required here.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:I do hope anyone who uses planes will not be hypocritical and complain.

I have not flown for 11 years and no intention of doing so. But tolerance required here.
Just for the record I've never flown from LCY. I do fly from other London airports and have as much interest as you in minimising the impact that has on others.

In particular I get really annoyed that flying to some destinations is the only practical or economic way to get there because of the perverse way we give massive subsidies to aviation whilst reducing them from ground level public transport.

Am I really being hypocritical or intolerant?

Stuart
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

LCY was established more with the business passenger in mind although admittedly it has been tapping the leisure market in recent years. The NY flight is for business passengers - the plane only has 34 seats. Its selling point is not having to join a lengthy queue to clear immigration in the US, that's done on a refuelling stop in the deserted US facilities in Shannon.
I doubt other long haul flights will be introduced - the runway's too short for fully fuelled planes flying long distances to get off the ground.

I've used LCY a couple of times for weekend getaways, it's a fantastic little airport and a hell of a lot easier to get to than Heathrow (and they gave me free booze for 3 hours when my plane broke down!).

But all this is completely off topic and my anorak is getting uncomfortable.
wrightie

Post by wrightie »

Agreed LCY was setup with the business passenger in mind, I’ve used it for business and continue to do so. But the creep is becoming more of a charge! Initial flights used quieter turbo-props, which also had narrower flight paths. With the introduction of jet aircraft at LCY, the flight paths were widened, and as a result, aircraft can now be seen and heard frequently over Sydenham. My objection is that having LHR and LCY flight paths overlapping, we'll start seeing/hearing 30 aircraft an hour overhead! The quieter skies over Sydenham were a reason for moving here, and that is being steadily eroded. If objecting makes me a hypocrite, then so be it.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I've previously lived in Wandsworth and Brockley. By comparison Sydenham is a tranquil idyll (for air traffic at least). I would very much be in favour of keeping it that way. Although I can't say I've noticed an increase in noise recently.
maestro

Post by maestro »

I still miss BA 002 JFK-LHR screeching over Sydenham at about 17:05 every day always ahead of schedule, published arrival time at LHR was 17:25.
michael

Post by michael »

maestro wrote:I still miss BA 002 JFK-LHR screeching over Sydenham at about 17:05 every day always ahead of schedule, published arrival time at LHR was 17:25.
Very noisy but I miss it, I concurred.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

michael wrote:
maestro wrote:I still miss BA 002 JFK-LHR screeching over Sydenham at about 17:05 every day always ahead of schedule, published arrival time at LHR was 17:25.
Very noisy but I miss it, I concurred.
Me too.
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

This is terrible!!!!!

We lived in Sydenham 11 years ago and i do not remember such air traffic back then! We moved to West London where we did not have any planes fliying over us at all.... Two years ago we moved back to Sydenham and the first thing I/we have noticed was how many planes are fliying directly above our house!!!!!! If you are in the garden all you hear is planes, planes..... thats not what we came/moved here for!... And It is getting worse now, two years down the line!!!!

I have found this "flight pass map" on the internet and I am totally shocked by what I saw!!!! We are directly under the flight pass! Help! :'-(

Ps. For some reason I can not find how to attach the map/photo to submit for you to see!

You will be shocked!!!!!

sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

We have also noticed an increase in low planes recently. I sent an email to John Stewart etc as suggested above, and received the following response:

"We have had a lot of emails recently from the Brockley area; fewer from the Sydenham area.  Heathrow Airport insist that there has been no chance, but
certainly the noise is pretty constant.

Brockley residents are planning to organize a meeting of residents in the area.  Some time after that, we are hoping to organize a meeting with Heathrow Airport.

I will keep you posted.

John Stewart"

I then received an email regarding a proposed meeting:

"We are trying to arrange a residents meeting for Tuesday 27 August at 7.15/7.30pm ish (location to be confirmed depending on numbers - in Brockley).

This will be residents only (Brockley and surrounding areas) and will discuss the existing issues, what we can do and what we want Hacan and our councillors to do, going forward.

If you would like to attend, please can you let me know by return.  I need to assess likely numbers.

Regards
Elise"

Sarah

Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Heard at least 6 low level planes overhead in the ten minute walk to the station this morning.
roundasapound

Post by roundasapound »

Hi

I've noticed the significant increase in aircraft noise. At 06:15 daily without fail a loud noisy aeroplane flies overhead.

Sometimes it's so loud I have to pause the TV to let the airplane go by before resuming a show. I hope this is not permanent. Being in the garden isn't that enjoyable with the increased noise.

I never remember it ever being this bad, the odd aircraft and annoying helicopter, but lately it seems like we are on a direct flight path to Heathrow.

I emailed noise complaints at Heathrow last month to enquire about what is happening and if this is a permanent thing but am waiting for a response.

It's something for all of us to think about if Heathrow gets the go-ahead to expand and build another runway. If that be the case we will have to endure even more noise pollution from passing aeroplanes.