At the back of the Roman Catholic church in Kirkdale,

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

At the back of the Roman Catholic church in Kirkdale,

Post by Falkor »

there appears to be an old building, which could be part of the old St. Barts school? If not, it could be something to do with the shop next door. I've not investigated yet...
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

I don't think the building is anything to do with the school. The wall with the car park sign on was the boundary wall of the school site, as can be seen from this OS map of 1894:
The empty space south of the infants' school, along the line of the school wall, was where the building in the picture was to be erected, sometime before 1914.

The area behind the shops in Kirkdale, from the Catholic Church almost to Peak Hill, was given over to small industrial units, garages and car workshops. Perhaps most interesting, it was the birthplace of Ling's Turkish Delight. Frederick Ling, who lived in Vancouver Road, founded his confectionery business in one of the buildings here (perhaps the one in the picture) in 1922. I believe one can still buy Ling's Turkish Delight, although I've no idea where or by whom it is now made.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Cheers mate! I thought it looked older than the Sydenham Park houses, but I guess it's fairly modern in comparison; thanks for the info.