New Doors

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
robbieduncan

New Doors

Post by robbieduncan »

We bought a lovely house needing a lot of work done earlier this year. The initial big building push is nearly complete and our thoughts are turning to doors (and eventually windows). We need a new front door and two new back doors. Are there any recommendations for local companies who will do good work, are reliable and not charge the earth? I have heard bad things about Select-A-Door in penge and The London Door Company seem to be ridiculously expensive. I have seen some recommendations for Dawes Doors in Forest Hill (now seem to be http://www.distinguishdoors.co)...
leenewham

Re: New Doors

Post by leenewham »

We got a quote for a door from The London Door Company for 3k!

Select a door seemed uninterested in getting the job.

Next we will try Doorz in Kirkdale. Let me know if you get any joy from Dawes Doors (why did they change their name from an interesting, memorable one to a meaningless 'boastfull' one I will never know!)

If I can't find it locally I look further afield, which is all too often the case unfortunately.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

3K is less than I was expecting from them: lots of people seem to get quoted 6! Will look into Doorz too although the misplaced z is a bit worrying
mosy

Post by mosy »

Do you know what you're being quoted for? E.g. full surround and doorstep thingy, all carpentry and door furniture (locks, knocker, letter box). There are places which just sell doors that you hire a contract carpenter to fit it into the existing surround.

My sis swears by the acrylic(?) non-wood sort as they don't expand and contract with moisture/heat. I know, I know, but they are virtually zero maintenance. Also blinking expensive for the complete ensemble.
Mureep

Post by Mureep »

Who did you get to do your building work? We're looking for a reliable builder. Just had a bathroom put in and won't be using that builder again.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

We don't actually know what we want yet so I take the point that we need to know if it's doors only, doors and frames, locks included etc. we need to get our requirements straight before we get anyone in to quote

As to the builder we have been pretty happy. It's dragging on a little as we added to the spec (our fault there). We used John Elliot at Elliot's Heating and Plumbing (07956 241582). Whilst mostly a plumber they have been very good at all sorts of other work: we have had a complete new heating system, complete rewire, new kitchen installed, some glazing, some roof work including a roof lantern fitted and loads of re plastering. The electrics were done by Paul Jenkins (again very good) and the plastering by a plasterer known to John and contracted by him. We will use him again when more work is needed...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mosy

Post by mosy »

It sounds like you've done really well with your building works and contractors, so fingers crossed your doors go well too.

Door frames in old (and new houses for that matter) are rarely "true" so there'll always be planing to fit (as well as competently drilling for locks etc), or if ripped out completely will cause disruption to external and internal plaster etc, not to mention loads of dust but realistically they won't come with dust covers. Not really a problem (external matching/repairing pebble dash if applicable is a pain) but again, nice to know if peripheral making good is included. If door-sale companies subcontract fitting (they usually do), it's worth making sure in advance exactly what you've agreed to pay for - I think I'm repeating myself now. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

More peeps will probably recommend companies...
jonathan_har

Post by jonathan_har »

If you are getting new windows too there maybe economies in getting a company that can do both doors and windows. Not local, but we used Sollex www.sollex.co.uk for new timber sash windows throughout, timber front door and a set of French doors. Although not a completely straight forward company to deal with, the quality is excellent and very good value.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

jonathan_har wrote:If you are getting new windows too there maybe economies in getting a company that can do both doors and windows. Not local, but we used Sollex http://www.sollex.co.uk for new timber sash windows throughout, timber front door and a set of French doors. Although not a completely straight forward company to deal with, the quality is excellent and very good value.
New windows were supplied and fitted by the builders so already done. Will be looking for sash refurbishment in due course too!
lizzie

Post by lizzie »

Hi,

Not sure if you're still looking, but I recently (September) used 1st Scenic in Orpington for new patio doors and several windows: http://www.1stscenic.co.uk/ I used them following a recommendation from friends in Beckenham and can thoroughly recommend them myself following the work they did for me. The fella who did the fitting was pleasant and efficient and did a really good job. There was no hard sell, either, they just did what I asked them to do - a pretty stress free process from beginning to end.

Liz