Wimpy gone

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
southernmoose

Re: Wimpy gone

Post by southernmoose »

Thanks for the info. @leenewham and @michael. I hadn't seen the earlier discussion, but agree it's disappointing news.
simon

Post by simon »

Colonel Abrams wrote:FOBTs are a scourge on the high street and an evil invention, the crack cocaine of gambling. :(
You can lay the blame for them (FOBTs) on the high street squarely on the shoulders of Dulwich MP Tessa Jowell, whose useless 2005 Gambling Act allowed them in the first place. It is rather amusing seeing Labour councillors up and down the country bemoaning them now.
montjuic56

Post by montjuic56 »

Is there nothing the community can do to oppose the arrival of another betting shop? Anyone interested in starting a Co-op type Cafe- Snack Bar?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree betting shops a disaster for the area. Simply poor giving to rich.

Although have not used Wimpy for many years it is still sad, sign of the times I guess.
MissBee

Post by MissBee »

Depressing news indeed. So when Paddy Power open up, we will have 3 gambling options within a small section of Sydenham Road, sandwiched only by two Pound Shops (both of which I frequent, great bargains and jolly shopkeepers). How can this be allowed? Do our council not have any say over what goes in? Presumably PP (along with Ladbrokes and William Hil) have done their research on the area and deemed it wanting of more betting shops and with a high proportion of the population keen or prospective gamblers?? I would certainly like to see those research results. So frustrating.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

I can't understand how 3 betting shops can open that close to each other. So depressing for the high street. If people stopped throwing their money at them they wouldn't open I guess.

Fingers crossed for the (slightly strange combo) Polish/Spanish store hope it has something new with quality.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I suppose may be sign income in Sydenham on the up as obviously a great many people have a great deal of money to throw away.
parker

Post by parker »

Yeah it's sad it has gone because it has been there for so long but they didn't do much in terms of a refurb to entice new custom... (Just put up their prices, most likely).

Toots

Post by Toots »

I spoke with the owner of the Spanish-Polish Deli on Friday evening. Lovely Polish chap who is married to a Cuban, hence the resultant shop. He's hoping that people will give it a go and he's keen to stock what locals want. So if you can't find it, ask him and he'll order it in. So, let's embrace it and give them our support- and cash!
Alfred Adler

Post by Alfred Adler »

There is some anecdotal evidence that there is ‘clustering’ of betting shops in areas where the four machine (FOBT) limit is insufficient to meet demand.
Sydenhameagle123

Post by Sydenhameagle123 »

Look guys please dont get me wrong but in sydenham ppl have got a habit that they listen to alot of crap wimpy still wud of been here now if U THE PUBLIC supported it. Every1 in sydenham have a routine and they wont change even if that routine is wrong they wont try a new place or a new dish. Wimpy was there for 44 years 14 years was owned by the guy who just sold it to paddy power he struggled because u wud pay that extra 1 go into chefs or mcds but because theres no fit gals or bulshitters in wimpy u wudnt go inder and now ur telling me ur upset that its gone THINK
perryman

Post by perryman »

Eagle wrote:I agree betting shops a disaster for the area.
Simply poor giving to rich.
Not necessarily.
There was a story in the guardian on how these FOBT are a great way of laundering money.
Feed the things hundreds of pounds of unaccountable earnings and by betting on both red and black, for instants,
quickly convert it into slightly less with a nice receipt.

It is partly a service for the criminal rich to pay their taxes.
Cheaper than a fancy accountant, I guess.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

We did not need another betting shop.

End of.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

perryman wrote:
Eagle wrote:I agree betting shops a disaster for the area.
Simply poor giving to rich.
Not necessarily.
There was a story in the guardian on how these FOBT are a great way of laundering money.
Feed the things hundreds of pounds of unaccountable earnings and by betting on both red and black, for instants,
quickly convert it into slightly less with a nice receipt.

It is partly a service for the criminal rich to pay their taxes.
Cheaper than a fancy accountant, I guess.
Or using the HSBC...
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Sydenhameagle123 wrote:Look guys please dont get me wrong but in sydenham ppl have got a habit that they listen to alot of crap wimpy still wud of been here now if U THE PUBLIC supported it. Every1 in sydenham have a routine and they wont change even if that routine is wrong they wont try a new place or a new dish. Wimpy was there for 44 years 14 years was owned by the guy who just sold it to paddy power he struggled because u wud pay that extra 1 go into chefs or mcds but because theres no fit gals or bulshitters in wimpy u wudnt go inder and now ur telling me ur upset that its gone THINK
I used it. It did need a revamp but didn't get it. Wimpy HQ failed that business as well.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rod taylor wrote:I used it to. Nice guys that ran it.
I agree they were very attentive and helpful.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I used it but it wasnt great, it wasnt inviting inside and looked old and tired. Shops are not charities, they have to win custom. The thread about billings is a good example if a local business winning custom without being a large brand, while competing against the large supermarkets.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

leenewham wrote:I used it but it wasnt great, it wasnt inviting inside and looked old and tired. Shops are not charities, they have to win custom. The thread about billings is a good example if a local business winning custom without being a large brand, while competing against the large supermarkets.
A full refurb would have made it much more appealing but I suppose when HQ won't help and takings are down because of Subway etc you decide not to renew the lease or sell
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I noticed an earlier posting from a Colonel.

This military gentleman seems to agree with most sane people that betting shops and pay day loan shops are a scourge on society.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:I noticed an earlier posting from a Colonel.

This military gentleman seems to agree with most sane people that betting shops and pay day loan shops are a scourge on society.
Only one main party wants to stop the spread of those betting machines inside them.