Natural planning

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Natural planning

Post by Tim Lund »

This post might seem just a response to Lee's admonition here
To make a high street flourish, you need to set up certain conditions, just like a gardener. If you want certain plants to grow, you set the soil to enable those plants to get established. High rents, lack of vision, lack of a real plan for what the high street should be added with average footfall and lack of free units = sub letting, struggling businesses etc.
but in fact it's something I've been thinking about for some time, and few days ago hit on the idea of giving a thread this title. I have some reservations about it, because I'm going to use the word 'natural' in a sense which could be misinterpreted as 'free from artificial regulation', and so free-market fundamentalist, but that's not what I mean, and it's a risk I'm prepared to take.

The starting point for this line of thought was my post from last year, Nimbyism Explained?, which included this quote from a 1960s House of Lords debate
It was under this system that the eighteenth century saw the development of what are now regarded as some of the more elegant parts of our towns—the Cadogan and Grosvenor Estate, Bloomsbury and so on. The merit of the system was that the landlord could ensure control of what was built on the land and of the upkeep of the estate once it was built. He did this by means of the leasehold covenants. Before the days of Town and Country Planning Acts, the leasehold system was, in effect, the only means of securing well-planned and well-maintained urban development, and of securing that estates could be redeveloped in an orderly fashion as the buildings fell into decay.
That's what I mean by 'natural planning', and if anyone looks through title documents downloadable from the Land Registry today, they will be able to find the evidence of - still existing - quoted property companies having had a role in the original development of Sydenham Road, over 100 years ago now. They may not have had to worry about Town & Country planning Acts, but planned it certainly was. As such, it justifies some sort of planning, and for me, the ideal would be to get the benefits of such natural planning, driven by a long term vision, but with the dividends taxed rather more than they would have been in 1900. Rather than be constrained by now artificial planning use classes such as A1, A2, B1, C1 etc., flexible decisions could be taken to pencil in a café for the corner site, rather than let it go for a funeral parlour, pubs with declining economics could be easily converted to some other use. In fact, all that Lee and I could possibly want for Sydenham :)
Last edited by Tim Lund on 5 Feb 2014 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Toots

Re: Natural planning

Post by Toots »

'Natural planning' is a succinct way of summing up what is needed here in Sydenham. As is Lee's point of 'Vision'. We need both these things and we need a vehicle to bring them together and push them forward. I am very new to the area but I moved here because I sensed an undercurrent of creativity, people will and the want to change the area. It seems from comments made on this forum that Sydenham lacks a group who could focus their energies on creating and driving a Vision for Sydenham (I may be wrong and forgive me if it already exists). It's not just about 'coffee' obviously but that was simply an example. It's about resi, retail and office use all working harmoniously - that needs a more organic and hands on approach. I have spent the last 10 years advising some large developers on placemaking and marketing and how when done well they can provide huge benefits to an area - long term. Is it time we established our own body of people who are prepared to create a vision for Sydenham and force the hand of Lewisham and others, taking policy into our own hands? Anyone keen?
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

On my travels (I make it sound a tad more exotic then reality I must admit) around Sydenham and Forest Hill whilst looking for a property I popped into the sweet shop near Forest Hill Pools (for the life of me I can't remember the name of it) and had a lovely chat with the owner who stated something which sounds a little like what you are envisioning (I think)...
She stated that her landlord has bought up a number of commercial properties in the area and is investing in the area as a whole and the development of the community (I assume as opposed to high rents and short-term gain etc.) and he was planning to buy another property/had bought another one and was in talks with a local about opening a bakery with freshly baked produce on the premises..
Wonder if he would like to expand his empire to kirkdale/sydenham?! ;) Joking aside, the shopowner sounded very enthusiastic about this particular businessman/woman's ideas and development for the area as the whole and sounds very much like something that would be very much welcomed in kirkdale/sydenham.

JMLF
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Sugar mountain is the sweet shop and it's great. The owners husband works for a really good design company. Both are really nice people and active in the community. I pretty much agree with everything that's been written so far in this thread.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Hi

I'm Pauline from Sugar Mountain, thought I'd register after hearing I was mentioned on this forum (admin don't know your rules yet, but won't mention my shop after this initial post)

Hope all are having a fun Saturday evening in sunny Sydenham tonight 8)

I'm all about getting involved and having fun at the same time, hope you all have a fab weekend.

P x

P.S Thank you for the nice comments.