Southern

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Willy

Southern

Post by Willy »

When are Southern (or the company currently running it) losing their franchise? That day can't come soon enough. They have been failing to run the 08:18 for months now and have been running trains but not stopping at the scheduled stations so their puntuality figures don't look so bad.
Manwithaview1

Re: Southern

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Willy wrote:When are Southern (or the company currently running it) losing their franchise? That day can't come soon enough. They have been failing to run the 08:18 for months now and have been running trains but not stopping at the scheduled stations so their puntuality figures don't look so bad.
24th July 2015
stuart

Post by stuart »

May be you get what you pay for. I use Southern and SouthEastern a lot. I find SouthEastern invariably considerably more expensive than Southern for comparable distances. I also find their trains more uncomfortable.

Strangely the franchise is owned by the same company - Govia. They just have very different operating policies. Whether this reflects the structure of the franchise by government or not may be some one more knowledgeable may comment.

Apart from the occasional over reaction of their senior management I find Southern quite good across the piece. Indeed (like BT) it is the quality and helpfulness of the operating staff that often compensates.

How sure are you that the particular issue is entirely due to Southern? A lot of different partners play a role in getting, or not getting, the 8.18 to the platform on time. And that must be the most stressful point of the entire operation which you choose to travel. Have you considered the alternatives?

Stuart
Willy

Post by Willy »

And that must be the most stressful point of the entire operation which you choose to travel. Have you considered the alternatives?
Like what? Like many people I pay for a ticket to get me to work on time and like many people that work is 9 - 5 (most of the time). Are you suggesting I get a different job, work different hours, use a bus? That's not the answer, the answer is to provide the service people pay for. You wouldn't go to a restaurant at lunchtime, be given rubbish food/service and say "oh well it is the busiest time, maybe I should start eating lunch at 10:30am"
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Willy wrote:
And that must be the most stressful point of the entire operation which you choose to travel. Have you considered the alternatives?
Like what? Like many people I pay for a ticket to get me to work on time and like many people that work is 9 - 5 (most of the time). Are you suggesting I get a different job, work different hours, use a bus? That's not the answer, the answer is to provide the service people pay for. You wouldn't go to a restaurant at lunchtime, be given rubbish food/service and say "oh well it is the busiest time, maybe I should start eating lunch at 10:30am"
Possibly an earlier train me thinks
Willy

Post by Willy »

Why should I have to?
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Willy wrote:
Why should I have to?
You don't have to do anything.

However if you are frequently late for work because the 08.18 is cancelled should you get a later train?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

By golly you have made a very sensible post . I congratulate you.

It is one's responsibility to get to ones employment on time.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Willy wrote:
Why should I have to?
For comfort, convenience and reliability.

I sometimes catch trains between 8am and 8.30am. Its certainly stressful for me. Which is why I usually make life a little easier for you by choosing an earlier train. But for Southern (or anybody else) to put on an extra train in that period would require an enormous upgrade to the whole system at enormous cost and disruption for, probably, no significant extra revenue. In other words we would all be paying so you can get the particular train of your choice.

That's unfair on the system. It also means that any issue arising earlier is going to be felt hardest at that point. It isn't surely a coincidence that 8.18 that breaks, the only train that can get most people to their job at 9am prompt.

You are simply being unrealistic. I used to go Bracknell every day. The M25/M3 was impassable by car if I aimed for 9am start. Switch to going earlier by motorbike an hour or so earlier and it was a doddle. Or should I have insisted the nation build a special new motorway so I could get their quickly and reliably at 9am precisely?

Peak time is never good for travelling. Either live with that or find another way to travel. Few other places are served by three different railway companies on three different lines. The bus is cheaper and slower but preferred by my good lady because she is guaranteed a seat (remember them). It also saves time since she uses it to read or do her email en route.

Stuart
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:MWAV

By golly you have made a very sensible post . I congratulate you.

It is one's responsibility to get to ones employment on time.
Your trolling is very poor Eagle.

I won't comment as to when you will finally make a sensible post.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

When Ii agree with you I get accused of not being sensible. When I disagree I lose track of the abusive remarks.

Whatever I write seems would upset your sensitive soul.

May your God be with you.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:MWAV

When Ii agree with you I get accused of not being sensible. When I disagree I lose track of the abusive remarks.

Whatever I write seems would upset your sensitive soul.

May your God be with you.
Please show me a single abusive remark I have made to you. Whatever I write seems would upset your sensitive soul. Trolling threads with facetious behaviour is in poor taste.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It might be hard to believe but I am not a supernatural being of Norse origin. Where on earth did you get that from.

I do like Scandi crime fiction , but surely not the same.

Have a good day.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:It might be hard to believe but I am not a supernatural being of Norse origin. Where on earth did you get that from.

I do like Scandi crime fiction , but surely not the same.

Have a good day.
Look up the internet definition. You do know there are alternative definitions of words.

Or not...
Roger Mellie

Post by Roger Mellie »

Going back to the OP - as I understand if a train misses any scheduled stops it is counted as a cancelled train for the purposes of the statistics even if it arrives at its final destination on time.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

in answer to the OP - re-arrange your day/schedule so that you get an earlier train, maybe make breakfast, but take it with you to eat once you get to work, or buy coffee once you get off the train rather than before you get on. Or take a sleeping bag with you to sleep on the train for 20 minutes, and a wash bag, to do your teeth and shave in the office bathroom sink. Talk to your boss to see if they allow flexible working? - maybe you can get away with 10 - 6 instead because the 9:18 ish trains are a lot less crowded and I almost always get a seat on those.

see - lots of alternatives.
Willy

Post by Willy »

But for Southern (or anybody else) to put on an extra train in that period would require an enormous upgrade to the whole system at enormous cost and disruption for, probably, no significant extra revenue. In other words we would all be paying so you can get the particular train of your choice.
I'm not asking them to run any extra trains, I'm asking them to run the trains they advertise, I don't see how I'm being unreasonable!
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Indeed if a train does ''fast running'' its still counted as cancelled and affects punctuality figures. They fast run to make up time. The winner of the franchise will be announced next month, merging First Capital Connect and Southern (as well as a few Southeastern routes) into one franchise starting in September. However Southern wont become apart of this until like already said, July 2015. But that doesn't mean I big change. Govia might win the franchise as they have been shortlisted along with First, Stagecoach (runs South West) and the awful Abellio. In the grand scheme of things Southern is actually quite good but, as we all know, its the lateness what is the problem. Saying that around 75% of the blame lies with Network Rail, I'm surprised Southern hasn't sued them like Virgin did.
stuart

Post by stuart »

From about 1:15 on ... not a patch on the original Leonard Rossiter!
[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4E6YEGhLhU[/youtubes]
stuart

Post by stuart »

Willy wrote:I'm not asking them to run any extra trains, I'm asking them to run the trains they advertise, I don't see how I'm being unreasonable!
Have you tried catching a train on a Sunday? Do you think that Southern's fault?

Stuart