Artists, Feasibility, SE26: Public Money, Graffiti

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sugahill cafe

Re: Artists, Feasibility, SE26: Public Money, Graffiti

Post by sugahill cafe »

leenewham wrote:Yes, it has.

Sydenham does seem to be lagging behind forest hill. The new businesses moving into Sydenham and kirkdale are great, but Sydenham seems to be lagging behind with creativity and ideas, or rather, implementing them.

Traders are far more involved in fh see3 than in Sydenham. We need more engagement with shops and it's difficult todo as they need to be willing. You can't force it.

Bringing this back to the op, I think there is a serious point here that needs to be addressed:

What was the outcome of the portas audit, or was one done? What is the future, the long term vision for Sydenham? What is the problem that needs solving?

In kirkdake the elephant in the room is footfall. It's not good. But I'll post more about this later.

See3 is about sharing ideas and solutions between 3 areas that lead to regeneration. I'd love this conversation to be brought out into the open. What can Sydenham learn from Fh? How did they get more traders engaged there?

I've had this conversation with See3 at meetings before and various suggestions have been made.

Is this a conversation worth having?

Are there any traders who would like to chip in with their thoughts?
I'm sure there are but would their thoughts be welcome?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Well, I know we have discussed the high street before, I'm sure see3 would welcome your thoughts.

As would this forum.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

sugahill cafe wrote:
leenewham wrote:Yes, it has.

Sydenham does seem to be lagging behind forest hill. The new businesses moving into Sydenham and kirkdale are great, but Sydenham seems to be lagging behind with creativity and ideas, or rather, implementing them.

Traders are far more involved in fh see3 than in Sydenham. We need more engagement with shops and it's difficult todo as they need to be willing. You can't force it.

Bringing this back to the op, I think there is a serious point here that needs to be addressed:

What was the outcome of the portas audit, or was one done? What is the future, the long term vision for Sydenham? What is the problem that needs solving?

In kirkdake the elephant in the room is footfall. It's not good. But I'll post more about this later.

See3 is about sharing ideas and solutions between 3 areas that lead to regeneration. I'd love this conversation to be brought out into the open. What can Sydenham learn from Fh? How did they get more traders engaged there?

I've had this conversation with See3 at meetings before and various suggestions have been made.

Is this a conversation worth having?

Are there any traders who would like to chip in with their thoughts?
I'm sure there are but would their thoughts be welcome?
All thoughts are needed. Whether some dislike them, so be it. Be true to yourself.
art4

Post by art4 »

broken_shaman wrote:
art4 wrote:we are currently not accepting photography
Why's that then?
Apologies for the delay in responding.

Currently at the gallery for a few reasons:

• we have tried two artists (photographers) without any success
• since not found work which could fit into gallery
• by default focus mainly on paintings but also screen prints and sculpture

We run an art consultancy service too which is the more established part of our business and here we have enjoyed success selling photography and or pieces which incorporate photographic work.

However these are established artists and works sell between £5 - 15K.

Our average sale point at the gallery which is in Dulwich Village is less than £5K.

So although both the gallery side and consultancy can overlap not all the artists we represent are suitable for both.

Perhaps that will change with our next venture happening soon we hope. At all times though we are looking for high quality work, fine art and will be interested in provenance.

I hope this answers your question.
Last edited by art4 on 8 May 2014 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

I'm slightly confused by the see3 model in Sydenham is Mary Portas involved in anyway or did what start out as the MP bid become 'Pop goes Sydenham' & then that became see3. I will add i dj'd for these guys twice once at Gunpowder & Cherry Pie & for a pop up event at The Dolphin the latter i received no thanks at all.
Last edited by sugahill cafe on 8 May 2014 23:05, edited 1 time in total.
art4

Post by art4 »

I read your question close after you posted but thought SEE3 may like to answer it so didn’t reply.

Here’s the link to the Mary Portas Pilots:

http://www.maryportas.com/portaspilots/

And a group of local people here put together a bid which was successful to secure funding for one of these projects. In this they decided to incorporate three areas: Sydenham, Kirkdale and Forest Hill and to help enable this developed a brand which is SEE3.
michael

Post by michael »

art4 wrote:I read your question close after you posted but thought SEE3 may like to answer it so didn’t reply.
Although I can't take the responsibility for responding to every SEE3 issue, I only didn't reply because I was in a meeting until 9:30pm last night with the local police (don't worry, I haven't be charged with anything, well not by the police anyway, but that's another story).

The Portas Pilots were initiated by the government with Mary Portas advising on some of the projects that funding would help achieve with an aim to high street regeneration. Mary Portas has not, to my knowledge, visited Sydenham but representatives from the scheme and the GLA (who provided the funding for second round London schemes) have visited our high streets, as well as senior business leaders interested in high street regeneration. The SEE3 team have also presented in a national conference of Portas towns, on the local achievements, only one of two towns that were asked to present (the other being Loughborough - the host town). The point I'm making is that SEE3 is fulfilling the Portas vision at least as well as other Portas Pilots.

Here's a picture from Loughborough:

There are hundreds of volunteers who have given up their time to help with various parts of SEE3s activities. Each one deserves personal thanks for their contribution. I'm disappointed to hear that Sugahill was not properly thanked and can only apologise (even though I was not personally involved in running SEE3 or the Sydenham pop-up events. I did attend the event at The Dolphin, which was lots of fun with great music).

I would urge everybody with feedback on SEE3 to post here, to contact the SEE3 team directly (info@see3.co.uk) or chat with those involved, for example on the Syd Soc stall tomorrow at the Sydenham Market. If high street regeneration is to continue one vital component is the traders, and involving them and encouraging them to work together is very important. The SEE3 committee does include local traders, but all paths of communication are to be welcomed. You are also welcome to PM me if there is anything I can help with.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

I think the SEE3 team have done an amazing job, I also know that a lot of people (including FHSoc) have put in a lot of work, time and effort into various projects, and for them to be able to do more than they are allready we'd need more than 24 hours in a day!

I don't trade in Sydenham so I don't know how involved traders get when SEE3 are working on new or exsisting projects.
What I do know is that when SEE3 are organising events in Forest Hill quite a few of us traders get excited about their ideas and love getting involved, and get others involved that can contribute. We also tell our customers whats going on and when (including events in Sydenham & Kirkdale), and sometimes we use SEE3 events as a springboard to carry on from. This seems to work and generally creates a buzz in the area when events are happening, it also attracts new customers from further afield as we work with SEE3 to spread the word.

I for one take my hat off to the SEE3 team for everything they have achieved so far, and look forward to working with them again soon :D
P1971

Post by P1971 »

I don't think anyone should expect to be thanked (sorry SugarHill) as It's all about everyone working together to make our community better for local residents. Anytime I've been involved with SEE3 we barely get a chance to grab a glass of water never mind saying thank you to each other because we are all pitchin in! NO TIME FOR GOODWILL (that comes later when we celebrate the outcome) between us as we are just focused on delivering what is promised against the clock which I think is a good thing :) Sorry if I'm out of line, but I think delivering the goods to local residents and customers when promised is whats most important! :wink: :)
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

Do you trade in FH under the name P1971? My name is Chris and together with my wife Yasemin have ran Sugahill Cafe in Sydenham for the past 7 yrs.In that time we have supported SAF & SEE3 in almost every event they have ever done by always allowing them to advertise their events in our windows & lending SAF our walls to hang anything they want as part of the Sydenham Arts Trail.When i say i was not 'thanked' i refer to feedback from the actual event where the musicians, food van operators & organisers were thanked but my efforts were not mentioned.I am happy with the response from Michael regarding this so lets leave it there.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Hi Chris no I don't. I'm from Sugar Mountain (I didn't want to use this forum to advertise hence why I missed out my shop name originally, and I will again after this post) but just to reply putting posters in your window or hanging pics on your wall isn't really getting involved is it? I'm more than happy to meet up with you if you are interested in creating a link from FH to Sydenham to make shopping better for local residents and creating a buzz to make local shopping fun. Let me know if you are interested P :)
art4

Post by art4 »

P1971 wrote:Hi Chris no I don't. I'm from Sugar Mountain (I didn't want to use this forum to advertise hence why I missed out my shop name originally, and I will again after this post) but just to reply putting posters in your window or hanging pics on your wall isn't really getting involved is it? I'm more than happy to meet up with you if you are interested in creating a link from FH to Sydenham to make shopping better for local residents and creating a buzz to make local shopping fun. Let me know if you are interested P :)
I think that by Sugahill being open to having posters up in their deli to advertise local events plus lend their wall space to the SE26 Arts Trail means that they have been involved and supportive of all that is happening.

It’s also been a good way to tie in/ integrate ‘what’s new’ with an existing successful and popular local business.
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Hi Chris, I'm Pauline, Please lets forget about previous bad comments :) I would love to meet up with you to get FH and Sydenham a bit more connected. A few peeps popped in today and commented this would be a good idea. I know we both have shops to run but maybe we can hook up one evening to discuss how we can connect both areas to make it more resident friendly for locals to shop. Please let me know what you think :) Pauline
P1971

Post by P1971 »

art4 My email address is sugarmountain.info@gmail.com feel free to email me or pop in for a hot drinking fudge and a chinwag on me. I'm not against you just some of your comments :)
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

P1971 wrote:Hi Chris, I'm Pauline, Please lets forget about previous bad comments :) I would love to meet up with you to get FH and Sydenham a bit more connected. A few peeps popped in today and commented this would be a good idea. I know we both have shops to run but maybe we can hook up one evening to discuss how we can connect both areas to make it more resident friendly for locals to shop. Please let me know what you think :) Pauline
Hi Pauline,
Happy to meet up, what about one day next week, yours or mine?
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Hi Chris

That would be great. Only day I can get to you is Monday, but you're more than welcome to pop in to me Tues till Thurs. What day and time is best for you :)

Looking forward to meeting you

Pauline
sugahill cafe

Post by sugahill cafe »

I'll pop in one day this week its half term & my daughter wants to come too, see you soon Chris
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Look forward to meeting you Chris and I'll russle up a special treat for your daughter.

Pauline :)
P1971

Post by P1971 »

Chris it was lovely to meet you and Little Miss properly today, thank you for popping in for a chat. I'm looking forward to many more. You're in trouble now cause I'll talk you're ears off! :lol: I'll pop in on Monday for lunch and another chat.
So see ya then down to earth fellow

P x
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

michael wrote:I would urge everybody with feedback on SEE3 to post here...
Hi Michael

Are SEE3 still doing the main promotion for the Sydenham Market?

If so, can we have banners up in the squares to advertise the markets for a 3 month+ period while it gets more established and can the SEE3 website be updated regularly to show the next market? It still says the next one is in April.

http://www.see3.co.uk/see3markets/

If it's a problem getting this updated every month, can I suggest making the page a little more generic?