People withdrawing from the forum

Wear your anorak proudly here! The place to discuss website & forum developments, administration, wish-lists, bugs, abuse etc
Robin Orton

People withdrawing from the forum

Post by Robin Orton »

I'm sorry to see that another intelligent, articulate and entertaining poster, Rod Taylor, has now joined the exodus - the fourth (that we know of), I think, in the last few weeks. I find this alarming. Why is this happening? What can be done about it?
Conker

Re: People withdrawing from the forum

Post by Conker »

Possibly because it appears to be drowning in the opinions of Lund and Orton.?
Especially Lund opinions.

I have not met either gentleman but their posts seem to dominate the board.

As a long term reader, but recent poster I have also come to the conclusion it is somewhat intolerant in some areas.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Conker wrote:Possibly because it appears to be drowning in the opinions of Lund and Orton? [...] I have not met either gentleman but their posts seem to dominate the board
I am sorry if that is the case. In fact I think a detailed analysis of recent posts (there's a PhD there for someone, perhaps) would show that I have responded less often and more briefly to Tim (and to Eagle) than I used to. This is because I feel that our discussions have more or less got the point where none of us have any new arguments to advance. The more we argue, the clearer it becomes that we all start from wholly different premises or axioms and that none of us are prepared to be argued out of them.
Conker wrote: As a long term reader, but recent poster I have also come to the conclusion it is somewhat intolerant in some areas.
I don't see how the forum could be intolerant, given that everyone is free to express their views unless Admin intervenes (which rarely happens, in public anyway). People certainly argue robustly - violently, sarcastically, rudely even - against views they disagree with or find distasteful, but that is not being intolerant.

Perhaps you mean that bullying sometimes (not often, I hope) happens on the forum, as has sometimes been suggested, I think. I suspect that is a feature of many internet forums, social media etc, particularly perhaps when people are allowed/encouraged to post anonymously (but perhaps we don't want to get into that argument again!)
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I find it easier to 'vanish' for a few months then return for a bit.
Conker

Post by Conker »

Maybe next time you'll get a longer sentence and vanish for years................................ :lol:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Don't say that Conker! I can already hear the sound of Tumble Weed..............
Conker

Post by Conker »

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

:D
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Conker wrote:Maybe next time you'll get a longer sentence and vanish for years................................ :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: