Allotments

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Eagle

Allotments

Post by Eagle »

I understand due to a long waiting list the council are proposing allotments should be given first to people without their own gardens.

They are considering removing all current holders if they have a garden of their own , so people without the luxury of a garden can grow their own carrots.

Interesting idea and does seem fair to me.

I only heard from a third party , but no reason to doubt accuracy.
leenewham

Re: Allotments

Post by leenewham »

Sounds unfair to me.

If someone doesn't look after their allotment, then they should lose the right to it. Some gardens are small, some are covered in concrete, some are used mostly for play for kids.

What would be better would be to encourage landshare systems like the one Tim came up with many moons ago which morphed into the Landshare project run by the River Cottage.

Or build more community gardens.

Or encourage people to use their front gardens to grow food.

Taking an allotment away away from someone that looks after it because their have a garden is unfair. I'd rather have more allotments or use unloved sections of parks as growing spaces. They do this in Norwood Park, Mayow Park and Home park also has a community garden.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee

Only a suggestion , I understand.

In some ways unfair , in others I am not sure.

Surely if allotments at a premium , priority should be given to those who are living in flats , without gardens.

Anyone who has concreted over their garden for a car park does not deserve an allotment.

Gardens are for nature , not for automobiles,
sydeman

Post by sydeman »

I agree, this seems totally unfair. If someone has built up a good few years of well kept allotments why should they be made ot give it up? I know 3 people in my road who have both gardens and allotments and they tend their allotments well...they need it because their own gardens, although not small, are not big enough for cultivation of a size to make it worthwhile.

What your rumour suggests is the sort of thing which would come out of Zimbabwe!