Derelict property in Champion Crescent

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
cockneyrebel

Derelict property in Champion Crescent

Post by cockneyrebel »

For probably 40 years there has been a derelict property in Champion Crescent with an abandoned car in the driveway. Is it still in the same state? Anyone know why?
leenewham

Re: Derelict property in Champion Crescent

Post by leenewham »

Its almost finished. I didn't know it had been like that for so long until recently.p Its like an extension on the side of another building. Its pretty horrible.
cockneyrebel

Post by cockneyrebel »

Why was it derelict so long? I'm 37 and it had been like it before I was born!

What a coincidence they are doing it up now!
Smiffy

Post by Smiffy »

Derelict 40 years? My guess is it's a Purelake development.
Emc

Post by Emc »

I only moved into the area in November and my plumber who grew up around here told me that the owner of the property was doing some building works there many years ago without planning permission and he was told by the council to stop or undo his work or something... so in protest he walked away and vowed never to take the scaffolding down. Apparently scaffolding was there for about 20 years but they recently forced the owner to remove it as it was rusty and a safety hazard. I thought I saw works being carried out there in the past few months but maybe that was the building next door. It's a big property so I'm sure it would be worth the owner's while to do it up and sell it on or rent it out! I'm also curious to hear what the current status is on this as I live just around the corner and walk past it every day.
Search East

Post by Search East »

Explains a few things. I moved to Champion Road about 7 years ago and I remember first seeing the derelict looking property covered in scaffolding and wondered what was happening with it? Progress seems to have shot forwards in the last 6 months.
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Looks like they are installing doors and windows at the ground level. Pretty sure the existing planning permission is for garages at the ground level?