what is your favourite thing about sydenham?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!

do you love sydenham?

yes
82%
no
18%

Total votes: 17

leaf

Post by leaf »

I SAID NOW NOW!

cant we all just get along? :cry:
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I dont really have a big plan. I quite like it as it is.

Im sure it will improve slowly, but that is generally down to the people who live here.

When the tube comes down here, then I am sure they will do something with the station, although, again, I dont see that much wrong with the way it is. A bit of stainless steel here and there probably appeals to the shallow, but Id be much happier if the money was spent on more important things - like giving kids something to do instead of spraying everything with grafitti and smoking crack cocaine.

I have a couple of plans locally, which may lead to the area becoming slightly better, but I am keeping them close to my chest at the moment, in case they dont happen.

I wasnt trying to be overly confrontational with Knighton - I just had a really bad weekend (and I do find some of his/her posts a bit silly).

Apologies to you Knighton.
leaf

Post by leaf »

thanks for your positive contribution fishcox,something that so many visitors to this site havent managed to do :?

i await the day that brings a positive comment from knighton.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

For gawds sake, give it a rest you lot. Stop being personal. Those on the receiving end - take the moral high ground and just rise above it - don't respond.

It's getting harder to sort the wheat from the chaff here.

please?

( tips hat to fishcox for setting a fine example )

( leaf, you've confused me here... perhaps I'm being thick.
cant we all just get along?
shortly followed by:
i await the day that brings a positive comment from knighton.
Isn't your latter comment tempting an argument? which your first comment was trying to end?

My interpretation only, of course. )
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

I disagree. Just kidding!

In terms of great things about Sydenham, I like the tree lined side roads.

The ease of which we can get into London central is also great.

Sure, the shops aren't high street brand names, but don't you just hate characterless High Streets full of H&M, HMV etc?
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

The fact that I could afford to buy in an attractive part of London for starters!

oh, and the High St, the easy journey into central London, my neighbours, the couple who run Fresh and Fruity - all of it really.

W. Wonder
westwoodjo

Post by westwoodjo »

Hello all

I have been a silent observer of this forum for yonks, and couldn't resist this one.
Things to love about Sydenham:

The really friendly staff in the High Street shops, the fact that people say hello to you and ask after you - special mention to the newsagent opposite the greyhound who saves the free CD's from the newspapers for us, the couple in the card shop by Somerfield, all of "Bob's" pharamacists and staff, Mr Wimpy!, Just Jeff and the delivery man for Golden City - he's a treasure. I miss Lance in the dry cleaners on the bridge though.

I love the parks and green spaces - by default I am including Peckermans Woods and CP park, even though they border Bromley and Southwark, I played there as a kid so as far as I'm concerened they're in Sydenham.

Recognising faces around the place that you have known for years, proves that we stick around. Even nicer is going into shops and the staff recognise you years and years after you frequented it.

The lovely residential streets and houses. The fact that I feel safe walking around. Most of all, and according to this thread, the fact that others in Sydenham love the place as much as me.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

oh yeah, I forgot to say... I live in a sort of paradise. There are trees infront of my house.. trees behind my house.. woodpeckers in my garden... green stuff all around. Sydenham Wells Park, Crystal Palace park and the many woods. That's why I live here. I sincerely hope that part of it never changes... I love it!!!
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

The staff in Boots are wonderful... House of Curtains and Linen (great service in both); Gurkhas... Kirkdale Bookshop of course; and Zuckers too; Aplanda dry cleaners - all smashing in there.
kster

Post by kster »

Big Ben, I take it you don't actually use Sydenham high street. The Linen (Cupboard) that you like so much closed down months ago. The last time I went in there the chap laughed at me for wanting to buy cotton sheets, his reply was along the lines of "This is Sydenham, we only sell cheap polyester here" - given that sort of service it is no wonder that they closed down.

My vote goes for; Shopwise - Fresh & Fruity, Smart Chaps barbers, Gurkhas, Zukkers (but please move to a bigger place), Istanbul food market (whatever bizarre spice etc that a recipe asks for, they always seem to have it.). Other things; neighbours, the number of parks and peoples front gardens that haven't been turned into a car park.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Kster, the Linen Cupboard is most definitely alive and kicking! Now painted blue, they decided to stay open for another year. I was in there only yesterday - and have spotted Egyptian cotton sheets on their shelves!!
kster

Post by kster »

Big Ben, you are right. I’d forgotten that they had re-opened under a different banner. Please accept my humble apologies. Maybe they closed down to rid themselves of the old rubbish stock and re-stocked with better items.
leaf

Post by leaf »

dave t
the cant we all just get along quote was a joke!
if you read some of my other posts you will see that im def not a 'fluffy'!!

my comment re knightons posts i stand by,he/she never has anything positive to say,especially in response to anything i say! i think i offended the dog lover in him/her when i dared to criticise irresponsible dog ownership.

thanks for all the other good vibes posts!

leaf :wink:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

OK Leaf.

What do I like about Sydenham?

i) The views across town
ii) Being above the floodplain
iii) The green open spaces and general 'leafiness'
iv) The quiet
v) Sydenham Hill Wood
vi) The air-conditioned trains (what did we do in the Summer before they were introduced?)
vii) Some of the shops (especially Gurkha's and their Masu Podina)
viii) The LTA club
viiii) Nosing around Oola Boola's antiques (shamefully only bought 1 x Victorian cupboard to date but not through want of trying).
x) The owner of That's Amore's terrible entertainment - so bad he's almost good - makes me laugh everytime I'm there.

That's quite enough for now?

Oh, and the fact that it's got me in it :roll:
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 14 Sep 2006 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

Top ten in no order of merit:

1. The old lady behind the counter in Hilltop cafe, unintentionally hilarious
2. Transport links
3. Parks especially Wells Park with my son in the summer
4. Neighbours are great made some really good friends
5. Being able to be part of Sydenham town forum and reading Knightons negative rants. (That could be a forum all of its own "Knightons Negative Rants"
6. Walks in and around the back streets of Sydenham observing the great architecture of the old properties. (Sounds poncy I Know but just try it)
7. The little Italian restaurant almost opposite the Dolphin pub
8. Of course the friendly postman on Lawrie Park Road
9. The vibrant mix of people in and around the area
10.The train outta here - only joking
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

JAKES ANGEL wrote:Top ten in no order of merit:

1. The old lady behind the counter in Hilltop cafe, unintentionally hilarious
2. Transport links
3. Parks especially Wells Park with my son in the summer
4. Neighbours are great made some really good friends
5. Being able to be part of Sydenham town forum and reading Knightons negative rants. (That could be a forum all of its own "Knightons Negative Rants"
6. Walks in and around the back streets of Sydenham observing the great architecture of the old properties. (Sounds poncy I Know but just try it)
7. The little Italian restaurant almost opposite the Dolphin pub
8. Of course the friendly postman on Lawrie Park Road
9. The vibrant mix of people in and around the area
10.The train outta here - only joking
Can I ask JAKES ANGEL what that place is like? Montecassino? I have always thought I should try it to compare with the Italian at the top of Kirkdale. You're seemingly a fan?
charlie

Post by charlie »

greg,
montecassino is a gem. nothing fancy, just an old-school italian menu with ludicrously big portions. it seems to be run by two gentlemen of a certain age, who couldn't be any more welcoming. but i'd book if i were you. it's often rammed.
leaf

Post by leaf »

greg

:D thank you!

see you can be nice :wink:

re montecassino;
it has been there a long time and by all accounts[my parents] it is very nice,proper italian food.

*whispers,lorenzos in crystal palace is good too.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Thank you Leaf. I'm trying my best, I really am.

Sold on the idea of Montecassino and thank you for the advice to book charlie. I think I'll enjoy the place as much as you all seem to. Perhaps it'll fit alongside Gurkha's in my favourite Sydenham places to eat?
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 14 Sep 2006 18:16, edited 2 times in total.
JAKES ANGEL

Post by JAKES ANGEL »

As per the previous posts I do recommend it but i've only been there a couple of times. That being said i've always had a good meal & a nice few bottles of wine. If your feeling adventurous you could always try La Lanterna on Brockley Rd SE4 nearer the train station end. We had a really nice meal there, good food reasonably priced and then went on to "The Vale" in East Dulwich which is just past the E.D.T. heading towards Dog Kennel Hill. Now that is a lovely pub/bar etc stays open late, nice clientele, good staff, good food as well. Apologies for going a bit off thread got carried away with the memories of my night out.