fatal stabbing in Wells Park Road.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Re: fatal stabbing in Wells Park Road.

Post by Manwithaview1 »

hairybuddha wrote:
multisync wrote:Just to add I have bought my children up in this area for the past 30 years or more, everybody knew everybody, but now everyone wears a "Hoodie" so are more or less incognito.Hoodies should be banned around this area and make it easier to identify people!!!!
What pish. Youths aren't stabbing each other to death because of an item of clothing.
Some thugs wear different fowms of clothing

marymck

Post by marymck »

rod taylor wrote:Yes - but what ever you say about Bullingdon bullies, or even City thugs - they don't physically hurt people, they don't stab people.

I don't mean to channel Tim Lund, but we can build a hierarchy of behaviour here. Those who stab, shoot or otherwise hurt the innocent are despicable.

No one thinks less of the Bullingdon 'elite' than me, there are various sorts of middle and upper class thuggery, but no one is in any physical danger - there's the difference.
Different faces/backgrounds therefore different strokes/weapons. Same "it's all about me" arrogance and lack of empathy. Neither group cares about the legacy of desperation they create.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Yes you are right Rod.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

multisync wrote:Hairybuddha,take a look yourself and wake up
OK done - Now what?
marymck

Post by marymck »

rod taylor wrote:
marymck wrote:Different faces/backgrounds therefore different strokes/weapons. Same "it's all about me" arrogance and lack of empathy. Neither group cares about the legacy of desperation they create.
Physical threat is the difference, Mary.
I wonder. Given the "me, me, me" mentality and lack of empathy, if this lot had been born into other circumstances, what would their different weapons of choice be?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I feel kind of honoured that Rod Taylor thinks he may be channelling me - but if he is, then it's a bit inaccurate.

I actually think there is a parallel between the Bullingdon gang and the gangs who get involved in this sort of knife crime. It would be amazing if there wasn't, since from an anthropological perspective, we're just looking at groups of young males of the species homo sapiens. I'm not sure that there are any murders attributable to the Bullingdon gang, but there's certainly physical intimidation. The classic description is from a sympathiser, Evelyn Waugh
"Any who have heard that sound will shrink at the recollection of it; it is the sound of English county families baying for broken glass."
OTOH, it's also possible that some of these young men, from either sort of gang, will come to some good. I hope that makes me neither a bleeding heart liberal, or a conservative apologist.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I agree with Tim. There are people who do bad things in all social groups or classes, although what those bad things typically are may depend to some extent on family background, education and how much money they've got.

I hope whoever did this particular bad thing will be caught and punished. Like everyone else, I would like to express my sympathy for the young man who was killed and his family and friends.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rod taylor wrote:Yes - but what ever you say about Bullingdon bullies, or even City thugs - they don't physically hurt people, they don't stab people.

I don't mean to channel Tim Lund, but we can build a hierarchy of behaviour here. Those who stab, shoot or otherwise hurt the innocent are despicable.

No one thinks less of the Bullingdon 'elite' than me, there are various sorts of middle and upper class thuggery, but no one is in any physical danger - there's the important difference for me.
My former boss's partner was hit by a flying chair they threw at them. She was knocked unconscious and spent over five weeks in John Radcliffe Hospital, most of the time in a coma. Had she had fallen slightly differently she would have been paralysed.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How stupid to link student high jinks with blatant murder.

|Utter contempt for those stupid views.

MWAV

I hope the person who threw the chair was charged with attempted manslaughter.

Was Morse or Lewis on duty at the time.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:How stupid to link student high jinks with blatant murder.

|Utter contempt for those stupid views.

MWAV

I hope the person who threw the chair was charged with attempted manslaughter.

Was Morse or Lewis on duty at the time.
No they ran off shortly afterwards. One of their fathers sent the restaurant owner a large cheque to cover the many thousands of pounds worth of damage.

I am not equating this with murder.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If u r not equating with murder why raise on same post as a murder enquiry.

As , with regret , for premedidated murder , they cannot be executed, let us hope they at least serve 50 years at HMP breaking rocks.
parker

Post by parker »

Maybe Manwithaview is indeed a 'hoodie'...?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rod taylor wrote:I have never denied there is a link between the upper-class thuggery of the Bullingdon boys and the lower-class thuggery of the teenage knife gangs. There is. But to equate the consequences of the acts of violence of either is ridiculous. On any level. Knife crime is worse, far worse.
Murder is of course a more serious crime than violent hooliganism. But I'm not sure that judging wrong actions by comparing their consequences is always the right approach. How many deaths were caused by the actions of Tony Blair (another Oxford posh boy) and George W. Bush (a Yale posh boy) in deciding to invade Iraq? But the general view seems to be that these actions did not constitute crimes at all, let alone serious ones.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rod taylor wrote:This is a strange turn of events: I'm making the case for absolute morality, Tim Lund sounds remarkably relativist and the only people who agree with me are Eagle and Annie...and perhaps Stephen Pinker.

I have never denied there is a link between the upper-class thuggery of the Bullingdon boys and the lower-class thuggery of the teenage knife gangs. There is.

But to equate the consequences of the acts of violence of either is ridiculous. On any level. Knife crime is worse, far worse.

A boy is dead, parents, brothers, sisters, friends, communities mourn. People are afraid to leave their homes, they look over their shoulders as they turn corners, metal detectors go up at schools.
What I wrote was that there were parallels, by which I didn’t mean they equate – sorry for any confusion. Let’s leave individuals out of this, but if we’re comparing two social groups, in which young men gain status
  1. by getting ludicrously drunk, and showing off their family wealth by indulging in violence which at least they can pay for; and
  2. by killing someone
Then I’d go for 1.

That’s not an absolute morality, just a readiness to express a preference, which could then be the basis for some ranking
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rod taylor wrote:
It is not always the right approach. But in the subject under discussion (Bullingdon hooliganism vs. gang stabbings) judging the consequences is the right approach.
The problem about this is that is suggests there are some questions where looking at the consequences is the right approach - and by implication some where it might not be. So it begs the question of when consequentialism applies, when not, and if not, then what.

I'd say consequences are always relevant, although I'd not want to rule out other considerations, such as personal integriity, which might also always be relevant to judging actions.

I feel a bit embarrassed about turning such an immediate and serious matter into what might seem like philosophical hair splitting, but maybe it illustrates that this sort of discussion is not just academic playing with words.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Sgt Amanda Ritchie ‏@MPSSydenhamSgt 58s
There is a meeting at TNG youth centre tonight 6-7pm regarding last weeks tragic incident on wells park road.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

parker wrote:Maybe Manwithaview is indeed a 'hoodie'...?
I'm the one who walks around in T shirts even in January.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Update

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-27712699

Sydenham stabbing: Teenager charged with murder
A 17-year-old boy has been charged with murdering a man who was stabbed to death in south-east London.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is accused of murdering 18-year-old James Hunter from Sydenham.

Police were called to Wells Park Road in Sydenham on 1 June to reports of a fight. Mr Hunter was pronounced dead at the scene.

The accused teenager is also charged with wounding with intent. He will appear at Bromley Youth Court later.

Tuesday is Youth Court day in Bromley
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Justice seems to be moving quickly on this - the Old Bailey already: http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/1 ... am_murder/

One thing the police do is get most murderers. This time its another half dozen involved who will live but whose life chances are probably destroyed with the grief to those families and beyond. Its peer pressure that led to many youths carrying knives. How do we convince the near certainty of drawing them to lethal effect is just plain stupid.

If only peer pressure said that to each and every knife carrier it would probably be much more effective than any stop'n'search policy.

Admin
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

If stop and search worked well enough in deterring youngsters carrying knives, maybe peer pressure would work anyway?

Such as "don't carry a knife you will be searched"