Closure of Sydenham Train Station

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
lbere

Closure of Sydenham Train Station

Post by lbere »

Hi,
I have heard that Sydenham will be closed from December for East London Line works, all the stations from New Cross Gate to Croydon will also be closed.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Cheers
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

The only news that has come the way of Sydenham Society is an announcement last December that the East London Line from New Cross Gate will be closed for 3 years with effect from December this year. This is to enable a reconfiguration of the line to take place before the opening of the East London Railway in June 2010.

There are plans to bus ELL passengers from New Cross and New Cross Gate (some 35,000 daily - the mind boggles) to Canada Water for the three years.

No closure of the station at Sydenham is planned. There may be occasional disruption to services for engineering works, perhaps in 2009/10 after the New Cross section of the ELL is complete.

The Sydenham Society are pressing for guaranteed longer trains to London as we anticipate there will be a large number commuters who will opt to travel on the already overcrowded trains to London Bridge as the alternative to using the ELL.
lbere

Post by lbere »

Ok, thanks.
There is a note up at Sydenham Train Station, saying 'think carefully before you buy a annual train ticket because of works being carried out starting in December'????????????????????????????????
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

My brother drives/pilots??? whatever - the trains for southern through Sydenham etc etc (don't throw the rotten veg at me yet !!) - I will ask him if he has heard anything regarding the closure of Sydenham Br - he did mention to me that maybe two/three trains per hour would be cancelled during the ELL building process - I will report back on what he tells me(mind the GAP :roll: )
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Hi there. I've seen the posters. I had to read it twice but I came to the conclusion that this would affect the East London Line at New Cross Gate. Mind you, my heart did stop when I read it first though!
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

would there be any disruption to the Lower Sydenham station do you know?
Bovine Juice

Post by Bovine Juice »

Shouldn't be, it's a different line.
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

thanks that's what I thought