Mayow Park Café Operators Announced!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Mayow Park

Mayow Park Café Operators Announced!

Post by Mayow Park »

There were lots of good things at this evening's meeting of the Friends of Mayow Park, although I think the one we've been waiting for most is to learn who will be running the new café, which will be open for the start of the summer holidays. And the winner is

<drum roll>

Laura & Jess Tilli

as it says on their web site
the very proud owners of ‘Brown & Green’-a wholesome lot more than just a train station cafe!

You can find our original Brown & Green cafe at Gipsy Hill train station serving up a whole range of take-away delights and our big shiny new addition is at Crystal Palace station. If you haven’t popped in for a coffee, a cuppa or some serious brunch yet then come on down & find out what all the fuss is about! We’d love to see you.

We serve exceptional organic Fair Trade teas & coffees, the best British bacon butties ,freshly baked croissants , steaming porridge, healthy salads, homemade soups & sarnies, and some seriously yummy cakes!

We are so excited to have opened two of our very own Brown & Green cafes right on our doorstep - being local girls serving our gorgeous local community is a complete dream.

Can’t wait to see you soon! Xx

And after that, I think I'd better do separate posts about:
  1. Grow Mayow's new garden rising phoenix like from the devastation caused by Thames Water having to replace the sewer for the café. The rumour I've heard is that it's based on one in last year's Chelsea Flower Show, but I know for a fact they've been helped by volunteers from the park's residential cricket teams, who have
  2. An even fuller programme of matches lined up for 2014, including a day to involve the whole community, but much more of this in due course ...
  3. Immaginative ideas for how to use the now abandoned Bowls Green. But no one's rushing into solutions; we want to get the consultation right
  4. An innovative scheme proposed by our dog walker representatives to help encourage good behaviour by dogs
Seriously - it was the sort of community meeting which made you feel it was worth being involved.
JMLF

Re: Mayow Park Café Operators Announced!

Post by JMLF »

That all sounds so great and promising. Will have to visit mayow park soon! Have been popping round the different green areas since moving in (I'm lucky enough Syd wells park is a few mins walk round the corner). I feel very lucky to be in an area so abundant with lovely green spaces.
Been to Brown & Grenn at CP station - very much recommended so all sounds promising for a well round lovely cafe serving great food and drink :)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They are good. The quality of the submissions looked to be very high, I know of a few of them. I think this is a very exciting addition tot Sydenham.

The signage at CP station was by ButlerDsigns in Shirley. They are very good, we have worked with them on a number of projects.
Tubby

Post by Tubby »

Great, very much looking forward to having a cafe in Mayow park, and looks like a good choice. Is there a timescale in place?
Also I was told at some point in the last couple of months that the bowls green was going to be a health and wellbeing kind of thing - had a bit of a fantasy about yoga and capoeira classes on that bowls green with a suitable floor and arching shade/shelter overhead.
Maybe thinking a bit too big moneywise, but I do drawn visualisations for a living so could do a sketch or too in my free time if anyone thinks thats a good idea?
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Tubby wrote:Great, very much looking forward to having a cafe in Mayow park, and looks like a good choice. Is there a timescale in place?
"In time for the summer holidays"
Tubby wrote:Also I was told at some point in the last couple of months that the bowls green was going to be a health and wellbeing kind of thing - had a bit of a fantasy about yoga and capoeira classes on that bowls green with a suitable floor and arching shade/shelter overhead.
Maybe thinking a bit too big moneywise, but I do drawn visualisations for a living so could do a sketch or too in my free time if anyone thinks thats a good idea?
As I wrote, we're not rushing into solutions, because we want to get the consultation right. But the former green is not going to be concreted or asphalted over, so I don't know if that rules out yoga and capoeira either (thanks Google for helping me out here). But check the PM I'm about to write for how you might contact with visualisations.
sarahsyd

Post by sarahsyd »

This is such great news!

The Crystal Palace cafe is lovely and to have something similar in Sydenham is really exciting!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Absolutely wonderful news! Sounds great and I know Mrs G will be very excited too.

Tubby - I think it's time we had a rematch. My toes are ready... :D

On the bowling green though, have you seen what they've done with the bowling Green on Peckham Rye? They have it as an open use green where anyone can hire bowls and have a go. It seems to work really well. I'm sure it could have several uses.

G-Man
parker

Post by parker »

Go Sydenham, very happy :)
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

With regards to the space - I haven't even been to mayor park but from what I've seen in various parks and what is/isn't available nearby perhaps either:

1. Well-being space (as previously mentioned)

2. Something where you would go collect things from cafe to use, increasing visitors to cafe. Examples may be table tennis tables, boules/pétanque etc. again as mentioned I've seen pretty popular use of bowls/pétanque in brockwell park, crystal palace (the smaller park near sainsburys) and some squares around town.

All very exciting no matter what the outcome!
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

I already suggested hiring out deck chairs to watch the cricket :)
JMLF

Post by JMLF »

Popped to mayow park earlier for the first time. Some beautiful trees around! Didn't realise how big the bowling green space was so my brief ideas were in thinking with a much smaller area.. The cafe is gonna look amazing with he grow mayow stuff around it.
Imogen

Post by Imogen »

I live just down the road from Mayow park and spend a lot of time there - it's a lovely space and I'm really excited to see the developments taking shape!
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

It is hoped to have the upstairs changing rooms completed and ready for use by the cricketers next weekend (31st) The contractor has poured the concrete floor in the café space and this should be available to our café operators, Brown and Green, next Friday
MissBee

Post by MissBee »

When is the new cafe opening? I haven't been to Mayow Park for a few weeks.. Did I miss the grand opening?
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

No - you've not missed any grand opening. I was there today seeing the wheelchair access being put in, so keeping fingers crossed still for "before the Summer holidays"
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Taking shape inside ...

For more news and updates about Mayow Park, join our Facebook group