Graffiti, flyposting and flytipping

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

From admin's excellent summary of the recent Sydenham Assembly meeting:
We had a great intervention from the floor by a gentleman (name unknown) on flyposting. He is running a one man campaign to tear the offending posters down. His pleas to the Council and Mayor for support have fallen on very deaf ears. He can’t even get them to get the streetcleaners to do anything about it. Moving the Council is hard, replicating this man’s efforts in actually clearing the stuff is much easier. Maybe we should be looking to the Sydenham Society to try and organise something here.
I can assure the gentleman concerned that he's not running a one man campaign! I have taken down a large number of posters over the past few weeks and I report graffiti, other flyposting and flytipping on and around the high street to Love Lewisham (http://www.lovelewisham.org) almost every day.

To the Council's credit it usually deals with flyposting and graffiti within 48 hours. Flytipping takes a bit longer, but is dealt with reasonably swiftly.

The gentleman's particular concern seemed to be the stickers that appear on shopfronts. He suggested that our street cleaners ought to do something about them. Personally I think they have enough to do sweeping the street and emptying the bins; we really ought to be encouraging shopowners to take some pride in their shopfronts. Of course, many do, but not enough of them!

PS Credit to Arqiva who mended their badly damaged phonebox outside Hilltop Cafe within 36 hours of me reporting it to them,

PPS Less credit to the Lewisham Council department that has flyposted on a number of lampposts on Sydenham Road. It might for a worthy reason - encouraging people to become foster carers - but it doesn't help when one department is trying to deal with flyposting and another is doing the flyposting!
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

I no longer live in Sydenham, but I briefly passed through the area today and was disappointed to see a large amount of graffiti, flyposting and flytipping on and around the high street. It's a real shame, because there are so many great things about Sydenham!

But don't forget that Lewisham Council can only do something about graffiti, flyposting and flytipping if knows about about the problems.

And it's easy to report the problems. Simply take a photo and upload it to http://www.fixmystreet.com

Result? The problem generally gets sorted pretty quickly. Surely it's a no brainer?!