Where can I donate food to a food bank?

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
gerispringer

Where can I donate food to a food bank?

Post by gerispringer »

Like lots of others over Christmas we bought too much food and guests brought extra food. Is there anywhere I could donate this food rather than chuck it or put it on the bird table? Includes stuff like biscuits and sweets which a family might like as well as packets of stuff which we aren't going to eat. Is there a local food bank that accepts donations?
gerispringer

Re: Where can I donate food to a food bank?

Post by gerispringer »

Thanks for that, it seems they accept a fairly limited range of food mostly tins and packets. I can't see why they couldn't distribute some fresh fruit and veg if any were donated.
busylizzy

Post by busylizzy »

Holy Trinity Lennard Road run a food back alongside their Living Well Project which is open every Friday. Although food bank donations tend to be of the "storage cupboard" variety it may be worthwhile having a word with them as they also provide lunches so may have more capacity to take other items.
BelindaLester

Post by BelindaLester »

Hello -

161 Food+Drink (161 Kirkdale), is now a collection point for the Lewisham Foodbank. As you say above, store cupboard items are requested (they provide the most flexibility), but any items donated will be gratefully accepted. Current priorities are long-life milk, juice, fruits and puddings, tinned fish and meats (not pork), tea & coffee. There is often also a high demand for essentials like toiletries. Once the basics are covered, treats like chocolate biscuits are a great idea. We'll provide regular updates on current priorities on twitter and facebook

We're open from 5-11pm on Wednesdays, and 10am-11pm from Thursday-Sunday if you'd like to drop off items.

Thanks in advance
Belinda (and Team 161)