Any Calais drop off points locally?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Olivia

Any Calais drop off points locally?

Post by Olivia »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to the area too, in fact. I just wondered if anyone knew of any Calais drop off points in the area or any local fundraising initiatives for the refugee crisis?
Last edited by Olivia on 5 Sep 2015 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
Maria

Re: Any Calais drop off points locally?

Post by Maria »

I am very keen to find out exactly that Olivia; I hear/read about loads of areas where this was done and huge amounts collected.

Just not sure how to start, who would keep the moneys (and/or resources) - as they come in, who to give it to at the end (or as we go along) - does anybody know or have ideas? I am prepared to play quite an active part on this, if there was a handful of others willing to help co-ordinate.

Look forward to hearing from others - as well as from you Olivia re how much you would be able to contribute in terms of time (and welcome to the Forum, by the way). Thank you for raising this crucial topic
Olivia

Post by Olivia »

Hi Maria, thank you! I know CalAid is accepting donations in Dalston every two weeks, one tomorrow and another mid September. Calais Action also seems to be doing similar work. I can't offer a drop off location or transport but I'm happy to help coordinate a local effort that we could then hand over to CalAid or similar.
MabelsFive&Dime

Post by MabelsFive&Dime »

Hi,
There is a drop of at The Portico Gallery, Knights Hill, West Norwood tomorrow at The West Norwood Feast.

"Feast want to help in a practical way. We are organising a collection of desperately needed items at Feast this Sunday. Collection point: Portico Gallery shop front. Please only bring items listed below. Please note, children's and women's clothing are NOT needed. Items will then be taken to the Calais Action collection point in Brixton to be transported to Calais. We will collect this Sunday between 10-4pm, Portico Gallery, Knights Hill - thank you for your support"

https://www.facebook.com/wnfeast/photos ... =1&theater
Maria

Post by Maria »

I am happy to help with transport as well as any organisation needed.

However, and without in any way sounding parochial, I wonder if we could have a Sydenham based collection provided someone will do the "holding" of the goods and the money for us all.

Also, tomorrow is really too soon for people to get organised, do you think? I can't help wondering if the Sydenham Society or the Community Library or "Here for Good" etc could be our own point of contact as well as of distribution? As I say I am more than prepared to help, only we are going away for 5 days from Monday till Friday - is someone could set the ball rolling I would join in immediately on arrival.

Anybody else keen to join on the planning stages?
SydenhamStokie

Post by SydenhamStokie »

The Lewisham and Penge West Constituency Labour Party have sent out this message:

"Lewisham for refugees", a group of local activists and Councillors are driving a van to Calais on 3rd or 4th October with donations of supplies for refugees in Calais.

If you can help then Lewisham and Penge West CLP will be happy to take donations at their office

43 Sunderland Rd, London, SE23 2PS on Tuesdays & Wednesday 11am - 3pm.
(please note outside these hours there might not be anyone to take your donation)

What is needed?
BADLY needed:
SHOES: trainers or hiking shoes size 41-46
TENTS, COVERS, TARPAULIN
JACKETS: size SMALL and MEDIUM only
TRAVELLING BAGS
SOCKS
CANDLES or other lighting implements
BELTS

What we ALWAYS need:
Tracksuit trousers
Jeans size 28-32
Blankets
Sleeping bags
Soap
Shampoo
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Plastic bags
Woolly hats
Pants
Pots
Pans

What is NOT needed:
WOMEN and CHILDREN’S CLOTHES or SHOES
Sheets
Pillows
Suits
Town Shoes
Jumpers
Wellingtons
Olivia

Post by Olivia »

Thank you SydenhamStokie and Mabels.
Maria

Post by Maria »

If you are working during those days/times or if you don't have your own transport we are happy to collect donations here and deliver them for you. Pls PM me if so and I will send you my address.
_HB

Post by _HB »

Herne Hill Community Forum also doing a drop:

http://www.hernehill.org.uk/news/refuge ... ent-appeal
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

Not sure why my reply to this has been removed? Did I query the pc line?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No posts have been removed. Those dealing with the Sydenham drop are here. Those dealing with Calais generally were moved to Town Pub which is the relevant sub-forum so both conversations can be pursued without interference.

Please keep this on-topic. Moderation discussion is for Town Asylum if you don't agree.

Admin
_HB

Post by _HB »

The Dulwich Hamlet Refugee Appeal are desperate for volunteers to help sort through all that has been donated so far. If you have time tonight please consider going down there:

http://dhst.org.uk/calais-refugee-appea ... olunteers/
SydenhamStokie

Post by SydenhamStokie »

Libraries run by Lewisham are now accepting donations - see the report from the News Shopper:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news ... _families/

This may not include Sydenham library but we dropped some stuff off at Forest Hill Library this morning.