RIP SYDENHAM BUILDINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

RIP SYDENHAM BUILDINGS

Post by leenewham »

Served their occupants and passers by well, made and contracted with love and care, easy on the eye and bags of potential, but now at the mercy of planning and developers.

RIP fine buildings of Sydenham:

DACRES ROAD HOUSE GOING…

It's going to be turned into flats so instead of the road having building like the in it (which are opposite):

There will be more of this:

SYDENHAM ROAD GOING:

More developers turning it into flats etc.

DYLON BUILDING GONE:

More developers flats.

I wonder if any of these developments will be nicer than the vision of what they replace?
PeterD

Re: RIP SYDENHAM BUILDINGS

Post by PeterD »

I hear number 1 Burghill Road is being demolished - it's front garden has been stripped and inside looks empty.

Any news on that one anyone?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's got a fair plot of land next door to it but it's semi detached. I can't believe the council would allow that to be demolished, plus it's worth a small fortune on its own in that road and position.

So RIP this property too?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The planning application for the demolition of 31 Dacres road planning application is:

DC/15/92092
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_79075

There are no details of what replaces it, which is crazy. Surely the council can't allow a developer to knock down a property without ANY details of what replaces it?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This is the planning application to demolish the building in Sydenham Road:

DC/15/93537
http://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online- ... CAPR_80562
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

This is rubbish! Terrible terrible news. Especially one Burghill - I love walking past that house. How can they justify demolishing it? These buildings should be saved.

What can we do about it? What are the Sydenham Society doing about it?

G-man
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Lee
How sad to see - seems like nobody has the appetite to challenge a developer knocking down nice buildings to build mediocrity or home owners extending in vulgar ways .
If we are not careful we will lose too much character in Sydenham - I do believe the leafy roads with nice buildings attract people with a bit more personal investment which is essential .
We do not want to become a town of passengers and spectators .
I think the people making money out of this ugliness should be held to some account . They have done a disservice to our town .
A very good evening
Nigel
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The reason we moved here was because of the roads surrounding the station and the value of what you could get for your money (back in 2007). It felt like a nice place (then we saw the high street and our spirits were deflated but then were elevated again when we went into the bookshop, which was/is great).

Without that we would never have moved here.

I love walking along interesting, character full streets of interesting building that feel loved, whether they are old or new.