Tenancy Advice

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
Nickerbockers

Tenancy Advice

Post by Nickerbockers »

Hi guys, I'm the one who posted about noisy neighbours upstairs to me. It's not getting much better, and I spose I don't like the flat enough to possibly cause trouble telling my Landlord or having a word with the neighbours concerned. I'm not 'gelling' with the flat, it doesn't feel like 'home'. I know it's early days, but usually I can tell immediately that I'll be happy.

I've checked my contract and it seems I have to be there for six months before moving on; does anyone know if there's any way around this? I think I'd be looking at a nice share - preferably with ensuite facilities - it'd be nice to have some money to play with and someone there when I get home.

If anyone has some advice re the tenency situation, I'd be grateful. Or if you know of anyone needing a housemate in the future, that'd be welcome information too.
Wing

Post by Wing »

Is it just domestic noise from children, people chatting loudly etc) or is noise from loud music ? Are you getting a lot noise in the dead of night ? Try getting the Noise Abatement at Lewisham Council - see link below.

http://www3.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment ... hbours.htm
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Sometimes I dunno WHAT they're doing. I know they don't have carpets and 'she' wears heels a lot. They have the biggest flat and have visitors a lot, the other day I was off sick and suddenly a child started making silly noises what sounded like RIGHT above my head (sounded like next to me) at 7am. I hear weird noises like bangs or dropping VERY heavy objects onto the laminate flooring, that happens a lot! It's really driving me crazy and I have earplugs in most of the time now, even watching TV.

I'll look into the Noise Abatement people, but I can't really make a formal complaint as I'm just the tenant and haven't spoken to my Landlord or the neighbours bothering me! The whole thing just seems too much hassle and I just want out!
couldbeanyone

Post by couldbeanyone »

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Housing/PrivateHousing/

these departments may be able to advise you on your rights
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Are you sure you have to be there for six months? It seems strange to me. I would take it into one of the local letting agents and show it to them, you could say you are interested in moving. The incentive for them giving you proper advice is that you may use their services when you do come to move. I know that from a landlords point of view (I am one) you can't 'evict' a tennant before the end of the contract - even if they stop paying rent well before the time is up (I have experience of this :( ). But I beleive tennants can give notice (usually one month) at any time during the tenure of the contract.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

On the other hand, you might want to take advice from a person of the Cloth... sounds like you might have a haunting happening.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

Hehe, thanks Savvy, but this is definitely a very human disturbance. Yesterday showed me that, they've had some sort of p.a. system installed in there now, and had a gathering with INCREDIBLY loud music, singing and loud talking. Again, I couldn't say much coz it was daytime but when I went up to that floor to investigate, the din was UNBELIEVABLE, like a disco almost!!!! I asked my neighbour though and she'd heard nothing!??

I have to do my best to cope for a while until I can move. I'll jog along till after Xmas, and then I will look into if I can move sooner than March/April. Thanks for all your help and info though, and I know I'm definitely not alone in having nuisance neighbours!
kster

Post by kster »

"can't really make a formal complaint as I'm just the tenant and haven't spoken to my Landlord or the neighbours bothering me!" - They might not realise how noisy they are and a polite word might make life bearable for the next few months, so I'd try that first.

If that doesn't work then contracts are only there for when things go wrong, and it sounds as if there is the standard clause that safeguards the landlord from the expensive and time consuming job of finding a new tenant on a regular basis. However, there is nothing to stop you trying to negotiate an early end to the contract, and without knowing the landlord it is impossible for people on this forum to know how they would react. However, in my days of renting property I did this a couple of times and the landlords took the reasonable position that I was liable for any rent until they found a new tenant. At the time there was reasonable demand for rental property and so it wasn’t an issue. Having rented the property recently you should have an idea if the landlord will get a new tenant in quickly or not, so you can weigh up the risks of leaving early. Your landlord might say something different, but without knowing anything about this specific case, I would think that is the most likely compromise.

I’m assuming that you pay rent in advance and a months rent as deposit - if you did give a reasonable notice period then that deposit might still be at risk, but you could make it hard work for them to get any more cash.
Nickerbockers

Post by Nickerbockers »

I have to have that deposit back - it's the only way I can move. I can save a bit between now and when I get out, but nowhere near enough to fund my move completely.

I will mention it to my Landlord, and my neighbour is happy to go upstairs with me to have a quiet word, as she does have the trapsing around in heels up there disturbing her. My Landlord wants to know how I'm getting on - I guess now's the time to confess... :?