Bin removal

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
metter90

Bin removal

Post by metter90 »

Hi Everyone,
What is everyone view on Lewisham council taking away peoples refuse bins? I'm not sure if this has happened all over Sydenham, but it's happened to us at the top of Kirkdale. They've taken away the bins in favour of their orange bag system. their excuse is that it will 'clean up the street scene'. However, we already have a massive issue up here with people not correctly disposing of rubbish and foxes breaking into rubbish bags. I'm predicting household waste taking over the street within the week. It seems utter madness to me.

S
Eagle

Re: Bin removal

Post by Eagle »

Surely Not

Must have spent a fortune on the Bins in the first place.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

Certainly not all over. We've not heard of it. Perhaps as we have front gardens and side passages to store the bins in when they are not out for collection?
Cllr Paul Upex

Post by Cllr Paul Upex »

Hello all

Sorry I have not managed to reply to this earlier, but I hope I am comprehensive enough.

Over the past 2 years since being elected, many local residents and businesses have complained to me regarding the general state and number of wheelie bins along Kirkdale. Living just off Kirkdale I share with them this concern. I have worked with the council to find a way forward that is practical and affordable and believe this solution can do this. However it also depends on residents and businesses playing their part.

I am proud to be supporting Kirkdale residents and businesses (Christmas Tree this year) and believe that this way forward will enhance this section as a high street. If you know of any residents who are littering or businesses who do not have a waste contract then please contact me. I want this to work for the benefit of the area and will monitor the progress as I walk along Kirkdale on my way to work in the morning.

best wishes

Paul

cllr_paul.upex@lewisham.gov.uk
@paulupex

Letter sent to all residents explaining the changes

Lewisham is committed to improving the local environment and as part of that and working with your local ward councillor, Cllr Paul Upex, we have reviewed the way we collect waste and recycling in your area.

We will be removing your bins and placing your properties on our orange bag collection scheme. Instead of using your wheelie bin to store your waste, we will provide you with a three month supply of orange bags free of charge and then every three months thereafter you will be provided with a new supply. You can use these to store your waste and you should place them outside on the pavement, between the following times:

• 8pm - 12 midnight on Wednesdays to Sundays;
• 8am – 9am Monday to Fridays;
• 5pm – 6pm Monday to Fridays.

The collection times have been implemented to help reduce street clutter in your area, including wheelie bins left out on the pavement, as well as limiting the amount of time that waste is stored on the pavement. This will greatly improve the street scene.

Please ensure that the waste is on the pavement in the time slots above or they may be missed for collection. Refuse left on the streets outside of those times will be treated as fly-tipping and we may take enforcement action against those responsible for it, under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

If you wish to recycle, a large recycling bin has been placed in the service road off Sydenham Park. This will be emptied weekly on a Tuesday. Please ensure that only paper, card, glass, cans and plastic bottles are put in this recycling bin.

We hope to have your co-operation in this, as keeping the area clean and tidy will make it a much nicer place in which to live for everyone.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

No idea what it's like there, but round my way, bin day is like some sort of assault course for pushchairs. That's the way the binmen, working on behalf of the council leave it. No idea what it's like for people in wheelchairs. I presume they rarely go anywhere anyway, because of all the cars parked on the pavements.
Cllr Paul Upex

Post by Cllr Paul Upex »

I also just wanted to clarify that this scheme is for the specific high street area of Kirkdale, ie - from George the barber on one side up to approximately the Fig and Pistachio corner and on the other side from the Fox up until Coral.

It is not for any other area on Kirkdale - collections are twice and on some days three times a day.

thanks

Paul
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Perry Rise on a Tuesday morning?
cars parked half on the pavement, and bins out for collection.
sometimes tricky to negotiate with a childs pushchair.

If we can persuade manufacturers to make more stuff recyclable, then there will be less to 'throw away' as rubish.
in the future we should only have one collection once a week, and all of it should be recyclable (or compostable) through some process somewhere along the chain after collection.

There are already packaging materials which are organic and biodegradeable, just not in common usage.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

I've been composting since I moved in, in 2009. The bin is still only half full. Or empty. Depending on your outlook. Had to buy the compost bin myself mind you.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

we recieved a note many months ago saying that if our bin wasn't full and it could wait a week, then not to put it to the pavement, so that it wasn't collected, and the bin men could then complete the round quicker, and be more efficient.
I've seen them in action and quite often they combine the contents of 2 or 3 bins in a row before the lorry turns up.
alywin

Post by alywin »

broken_shaman wrote:No idea what it's like for people in wheelchairs. I presume they rarely go anywhere anyway, because of all the cars parked on the pavements.
It's an obstacle course, to say the least. You try knocking bins out of the way while seated in a wheelchair :) And that's ordinary recycling bins, not wheelybins.
alywin

Post by alywin »

Cllr Paul Upex wrote:I also just wanted to clarify that this scheme is for the specific high street area of Kirkdale, ie - from George the barber on one side up to approximately the Fig and Pistachio corner and on the other side from the Fox up until Coral.

It is not for any other area on Kirkdale - collections are twice and on some days three times a day.
Ah, so this sounds like a commercial-type collection like the ones they do in Westminster (where they have, or had, collections at 2 am where appropriate)? Presumably the businesses are paying for it, directly or indirectly?

Sounds as though Lewisham are coming round to what Bromley has been saying for years: that wheelybins only encourage more waste.
Evety

Post by Evety »

I live on that stretch of Kirkdale and have to say I think the new system is great - no empty bins to be blown over in the wind, the pavement is less crowded and the regular collection times mean so far no issue with foxes.
metter90

Post by metter90 »

Thanks All. And thanks for your response Paul.
I have to say a few weeks in and I am amazed and pleasantly surprised. Mainly that the Foxes are having so much difficulty getting into the goodies. So far, all looks well. My only issue is that I'm now struggling to re-cycle. The recycling bin Off Sydenham Park was full the other day, and the slot to put the waste in is tiny. Reckon it's ok to leave a tied up bag of recycling next to the bin?
alywin

Post by alywin »

That *could* be counted as flytipping. I'm sure if you were in Bromley it would be.