Voting Today

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRobinson

Voting Today

Post by JRobinson »

I hope you have or will all vote in the elections today.

I believe the vote for Mayor will be very close between the top two candidates (Zac and Sadiq) - please go and vote if you can, your vote might make a differenece.

Also today we vote for london assembly members - so please do go and vote as here there is proportional representation, so a vote for some party less obvious still counts.
Eagle

Re: Voting Today

Post by Eagle »

JR

I agree. I voted at 07,25 am No excuse for not voting.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of voters at the polls this morning. Normally I don't see anyone else there voting. This morning there were 4 or 5 others.
mosy

Post by mosy »

The polling station near the top end of Silverdale told me five minutes ago that they've had about 300 people, most being early morning voters and a steady trickle since.

I've no idea if a vote will make any difference, but it surely can't if it's not used ;)
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

We took our five-year old grandson (his school is closed today), as a practical lesson in civics. He was very interested in the process, but didn't seem particularly keen to know how we had voted.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I voted for a party that cares about people and the planet.

So not the Tories or Ukip.

I also took my 4 year old son along ash asked why I voted.

The best way of explaining I came up with was 'Imagine you went to a school and all our teachers were like the one in Matilda, and they didn't listen to you and treated you really badly. What if you could choose who your teachers were so you didn't have to suffer the likes of Miss Trunchbull? That's why we vote'.

He understood that.

Then I thought it was a shame that in reality, grown ups are do dumb, they keep voting for the likes of Miss Trunchbull anyway, even though we know what she's like, just in case it's 'different this time'.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee

A pity you had to turn these posts into party politics .

You are entitled to your view , it does not mean others agree with you.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

I agree. Poor show indeed. This thread is about encouraging all to have their voice heard not about scoring imaginary points with intentionally inflamatory language and unproven (and unprovable) statements
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

True, everyone is free to disagree or agree.

I find it odd that people are commenting on their disapproval of someone saying they didn't vote for two parties out of the 12 plus on the ballot. People fought wars freedom of speech.

If anyone thinks the Tories or UKIP DO stand up for the planet or people, feel free to argue your case, if you feel so inclined and believe my statement to be unfair to them.

I think Robbie, you have taken my post in a way other than intended.

Sigh…

Enjoy the sun.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

When my kids were little and out of school on polling days, I took them with me to vote. Years later they told me they were always disappointed because they misheard and thought we were going to do something fun in a boat.

One of those kids has just voted for the first time.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Perhaps the greatest lesson I learned from voting is that the little carboard thing that the polling monitors use to ram voting slips down into the ballot boxes is actually made for the purpose .
It's called " Shaw's Polling Slip Compactor " - I kid you not , and the very agreeable lady at St Barts wielded it very proficiently .
A very good evening
Nigel
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

You don't need a Shaw's Polling Slip Compactor nowadays. You just put your A4 ballot paper(s), unfolded, into what looks like a printer paper feed tray. Very hi-tech. We'll be voting by computer next.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Here's a link to see the current progress on the mayor of london vote:
https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-vote ... contest=23
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Robin
Here is a link to the trustee item http://www.electionsupplies.co.uk/produ ... Code=LE120 and the good lady was using it , I don't know if it was because of a sudden spike in voting but she wielded it , as I said , with great skill .
I suspect a Ballot Compactor would last many years except in Italy where voting for a president seems to be a fortnightly event .

A very good afternoon
Nigel