Looking to move to Sydenham

Friendly chat, questions, reviews, find old friends or relatives. Not limited to Sydenham only issues but keep it civil!
parkaboy

Looking to move to Sydenham

Post by parkaboy »

I'm thinking of moving to Sydenham from East Dulwich so I can afford somthing a bit bigger than a shoe box.

What are the best roads to live on in Sydenham? (I'm after a period 2 bed garden flat close to the station on a nice road).

Any recommendations appreciated!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If you want a flat then go for the top end of Sydenham.

If you want a house for about 300,000 then go for the lower end of sydenham. I am buying a house in Fairlawn park which seems to be a nice street, the houses have 3 bedrooms and nice gardens, it's close to most amenities and a few minutes walk to the Dolphin Pub.

Depends what you want. Sydenham is incredible value, I looked everywhere and saw over 50 properties. 113 fairlawn park may still be interested in selling thier proerty, they gazumped me, but they took their property off the market, it may be worth contacting them direct. I have a full survey on it if you want!

Good luck

Lee
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

My neighbour has just put her 2 bed flat toward the top of Fairlawn Park on the market - asking price £215K. She's retiring back to her home country.

Here is the link if you wanted to take a look. Not a big flat, but nice.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails- ... 1&tr_t=buy

Neighbours are great!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There have been quite a few threads of this nature in the last few months so well worth looking at what has been said before. I have not lived here for very long and have found this site to be a really useful way of finding out lots of useful and interesting information about the area. However, in summary, I think that there are a lot of very nice parts of Sydenham, although there are a few less desirable areas. If you want a nice house near the station, the Thorpes estate would be ideal (all the roads names end in "Thorpe"), though this is reflected in the prices. There are also some stunning Victorian houses converted into flats on Westwood Hill overlooking Crystal Palace Park. I don't know where you work, but you might want to consider living near Sydenham Hill or Penge East stations (both are just outside SE26) that have trains to Victoria (and, less frequently, Blackfriars).

I get the impression that there are a lot of people in Sydenham who have previously lived in East Dulwich and have made the move in order to get greater value for money, but I don't have any figures on this (and would be curious to find out!). The Blue Mountain café now has a branch in Sydenham so you won't have to go back to East Dulwich for a coffee fix. Previous threads have also covered the possibility of Sydenham becoming the new East Dulwich, or Sydenham Road becoming the new Lordship Lane. I think that the consensus opinion tends to be "to some extent but not totally" largely because of the greater proportion of social housing here.

Good luck!
poppy

Moving to Sydenham

Post by poppy »

I would also look at the Lawrie park roads (north of Cobbs Corner - where the Blue Mountain cafe is) to the left of Westwood Hill, most with Lawrie Park in the name. These are amazing wide, leafy roads, and seem very quiet as far as traffic is concerned (I wish I had discovered them when I was looking for a flat years ago). You would need to allow quite a while to have a look around all these roads. Also around Jews Walk and Sydenham Park Road area, where there are some stunning buildings. All these places are only about 10 mins walk from Sydenham station. There are also converted warehouses next to the station, which look nice. Beyond Venner and Homecroft (including these too), there is a network of five or six streets with lots of mainly well kept Victorian terraces. Bascially I have found with a lot of Sydenham the part of roads closest to the high street tend to be a bit grubby but they really improve further down.
reality Czech

housing

Post by reality Czech »

Take a drive around Sydenham and you'll cover it all in 20 mins.
Find the area/ street you like the vibe of, try to avoid "social housing" areas and try to keep 10 mins walk from the station. I would have thought you could find a nice period conversion for a decent price now.
I have a place in the Thorpes Conservation area but i prefer the Crystal Palace/ Sydenham Hill end as it's more leafy.
Good luck!
user100

Post by user100 »

If you want to have flexibility regarding which station to use, then consider living somewhere within say 10 mins of Sydenham Station and also Penge East Station.

That really opens up your options as you can go directly (and quickly) into Victoria or Blackfriars directly or obviously to London Bridge. You can also pick up the tube at Brixton, or Thameslink at Herne Hill. Of course you have Upper Sydenham on the same line so you can get on there instead if you decide to live up that direction.

Don't forget New Beckenham or Lower Sydenham stations can also be handy going into London Bridge, and even direct to Waterloo East / Charing X at certain times, and sometimes have more room on them.

Also, the tramlink can be picked up at Beckenham Road which is not too far away.

Crytal Palace IMHO does not have the greatest service, although its handy as it has the option of going to either LB or VIC, and good for changing at Clapham. I think the frequency is not brilliant tho to be honest.

All this and the East London Line coming which will bring you directly to the Square Mile and one change from Canary Wharf (although it looks like it will have a negative impact on some of the existing services, unless we can change their minds and retain 100% of what we have).

Anyway, that's the basic trainspotters guide to Sydenham! Prob repeated what others have said, but all I can say is that Sydenham is very well served for trains and opens up the whole of London.

I agree that the Thorpes are very nice, also Lawrie Park etc, and priced accordingly. There are some nice streets on the south side of Sydenham Road e.g. Cator, Trewsbury, Venner, and the small streets in between. (Cator in particular is stunning but VERY expensive for some huge houses.) Plenty of Victorian houses and flats within this area, some streets more spacious and leafy than others. This area puts you within easy walking distance of the two main train lines as mentioned above.

Other than that, depends what else you are looking for. If you give more details of what your requirements / constraints / preferences are, you will prob get more refined information.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I always thought buying a property and be able to afford to travel by rail were mutually incompatible!

Anyway - don't forget Sydenham's other treasure - the 176. This is a 24 hour service into London via East Dulwich, Waterloo, Trafalgar Sq & Oxford Street. All for 80p anytime which saves plenty of taxi fares. Both my daughters feel comfortable using it late.

Do a GoogleMap of the area. You will see plenty of green parks. Our High Street may not be the greatest but it is wide and in most parts of Sydenham you don't get that oppressiveness that you get in other parts of London.

Stuart
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

stuart wrote:............. This is a 24 hour service into London via East Dulwich, Waterloo, Trafalgar Sq & Oxford Street. All for 80p anytime which saves plenty of taxi fares.
Stuart
80p is that correct?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

Stuart - You're right to point out the advantages of the 176, although it's best to use this only in the evenings and at less crowded times. otherwise your journey into London will often take forever.

Prices are great value - 90p using Oyster (60p less than a cup of tea at SE26's premier cafe!) and £2.00 if paying cash.