Changes to Post Office services in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sean

Changes to Post Office services in Sydenham

Post by sean »

I've just received this through the post today.

From 14 January 2008 your local Delivery Office will be relocated to FOREST HILL DELIVERY OFFICE, PERRY VALE, LONDON, SE23 2LZ.

The opening times are Monday to Friday 8am until 1pm; Saturday 8am until 12:30pm; Sunday Closed.

Any queries to Royal Mail Customer Services on 08457-740-740.

Signed
Mr Pratt
sean

Building

Post by sean »

Anyone know what is happening to the Sydenham Delivery building ?
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

No news yet about future use for this building. It is, of course, now in a Conservation area.
kster

Post by kster »

Apart from the obvious benefit of providing us with more fresh air and exercise as we stroll up to Forest Hill to collect our undelivered post, does anyone know if this will affect the normal delivery rounds? At the moment post generally arrives promptly in the mornings, certainly better than for a lot of people I know who don’t get post until late morning or the afternoon.
davegr

Post by davegr »

Another nail in the coffin of the increasingly appalling postal service.

Sydenham sorting office was great. The staff helpful and friendly. And being next to the station ideal for picking up mail on the way to work.

What with having to queue for over half an hour every time I go to a Post Office in central London, roll on the day the postal service is truly opened up for competition.
sean

Post by sean »

Last week we got our post at 3:30pm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

kster wrote:.................. At the moment post generally arrives promptly in the mornings................
If only, usually get mine (with OTHER mail delivered wrongly) nearer 1 o'clock. By then too late to contact sorting office because they have closed up.

THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO STAY OPEN TO 2PM which was the National Agreement. I notice Forest Hill are closing at 1 as well.
The Eagle

Re: Changes to Post Office services in Sydenham

Post by The Eagle »

sean wrote:I've just received this through the post today.

From 14 January 2008 your local Delivery Office will be relocated to FOREST HILL DELIVERY OFFICE, PERRY VALE, LONDON, SE23 2LZ.

The opening times are Monday to Friday 8am until 1pm; Saturday 8am until 12:30pm; Sunday Closed.

Any queries to Royal Mail Customer Services on 08457-740-740.

Signed
Mr Pratt
Think he left his initial out (A) :lol:
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

davegr wrote: roll on the day the postal service is truly opened up for competition.
I couldn't agree more .........the Royal Mail personel are absolutely hopeless from the very top to the bottom.
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

Interesting comments on the Post Office In SE26

Down here in swamp country our posties are as good as gold, mail delivered well before 8.30 most days, they know where to leave things, will flag me down in the lane if they have something that needs a signature, and I am out or on my way out,
The local post Office, knows everyone; when I hand in my ebay parcels, get postcodes checked and necessary reciepts all without asking, hands out mince pies and mulledwine at christmas.
Difference is I suppose, they are all locals, not transient immigrant staff, .

As for the opening up to competition, all that will happen is it will get worse and more expensive.
This what has happened since the parcels service was hived off as parcel force.
kster

Post by kster »

I guess some of you live in the wrong part of Sydenham or have upset yourpostie :D , our post arrived at 7:20 this morning.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I won't have anything said against the Post Office. I run a business and use the Post Office daily (as well as couriers such as TNT). In five years I have never had a parcel or letter go missing via the Post Office and they are seldom if ever late by a day.

Local posties are as efficient as their new workloads allow them to be. Yes, the mail is seldom delivered at 8-9am anymore - but try getting a courier company (who are charging you four times as much) to pick up on time. The counter staff at Sydenham PO are saints given the pressures they work under and some of the public they have to deal with.

Open up the postal service to competition and the rural idyll described by Kenny will come at a price. Every mail and courier company wants to deliver within cities - no-one will deliver for the same price to rural locations. Your friendly postman waving from his van will be relaced by a harrassed, costly courier company - and they certainly won't be delivering at 8am each morning.

What on earth this has to do with "transient immigrant staff" I'm not sure. Generally SE26 PO staff ARE locals; courier drivers who will replace them if the PO is dismembered are often "transient immigrants" because they are cheap and malleable. Why blame the immigrant?

Break up the post office and we will have late deliveries as standard, charging according to postcode and even greater closure of local post boxes and offices.

Eagle - cheer up mate! I've never known you be happy about any institution, business or local service. Life can't be all that bad in Hall Drive can it?
stuart

Post by stuart »

Our postie is wonderful and local - I often pass him around town and he always gives a cheery greeting. A good postie is noticed when he goes on holiday. Then I get next door's post and v.v. Also living in Lawrie Park we occasionally get mail to LP Road/Avenue/Crecent and our mail goes there. But being a friendly area we cross deliver.

And less often then by courier companies. Though I would like to give special mention to City Link who are the only dependable one. Perhaps becaused they are based in Sydenham (Kangley Bridge Road)?

On the other hand the worst are undoubtedly Post Office Parcels (or whatever they call themselves these days). They have the card through the door before the bell stops riinging and so its a trip to the delivery office. Now that's SE23 its going to be a real pain.

So please use PO Post but *not* PO Parcels!

Stuart
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

well Nasaroc, I agree with your suport of the post office in every way
What has it got to do with transient immigrant staff?

every time I see a picture on the TV of strike action at a major sorting office in London it always seems to be noticably al immigrant staff on the picket.
I remember a TV programme not too long ago about credit card theft within the PO that was soley in the hands of West African staff, mostly part time or stop gap from agencies.
I buy quite lot of postcards from abroad by post sending small amounts of euros[no other way]; I was told by a PO employee to hide them in thick paper or card as certain staff at certain sorting ofices had been caught holding the envelopes up to the a light to spot banknotes.
PO internal theft is a problem in inner cities I am told, and the PO prefer to deal with it internally rather than publicise it.

When in business in SE london 25 yrs back, I once had a problem with a spate of items going missing; I complained to the PO and their response and tracking of the culprits,on two occasions with my aid was exlemplary; BUT again I was told they would only be sacked; As the investigator said, Its the quality of staff we are OBLIGED to take on: make what you will of that.

It rankled even more with me, as shortly before I became self employed I applied for a postie job, I did not get it because I got 100% inthe exam they set entrants; no-one else had ever got that before they said, who gave you the answers?
I retorted that if my 10 yearold daugter had failed it I would be upset; it was a test of basic literacy, geography and reading skills.
circa 1972 that was, I wonder if the same rules apply now?

I am sorry if it comes across as racist; its not, unless you want to interpret it as such.
It is however a reflection of an ever growing perception inthis country that standards are dropping for one reason in particular.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

You're absolutely right Kenny, your posting does come across as entirely racist because that's exactly what it is.

You say that when you see a Post Office picket line on TV, "it always seems to be noticably al (sic) immigrant staff". What you mean is that the staff are not white. That's the only possible clear distinction you could make by looking at a TV screen.

Non-white people aren't "immigrants" Kenny. A significant proportion of PO staff are black British, many of whose parents moved to Britain three generations ago. Like all right-thinking people I regard black Britons as my fellow citizens and friends.

Your posting is packed with disgusting racist innuendo and you are a racist.

Stay in Wiltshire and stuff your "standards" up your backside.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thank you Nasaroc for your comments above, which I completely agree with. Kenny's arguments are quite pathetic and worthy of contempt.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I agree arguments can be described as contemptible or even worse. However, Can we attack those rather than the person making them? Otherwise the discussion can simply degenerates into mutual abuse.

Stuart
kennyb2

Post by kennyb2 »

I knew this would happen.

I love the phrase " all right thinking people"... ie any one who disagrees with your way of thinking.
Nobody is right except you then?
And I did not mention colour, I said "transient immigrants"
I have sound on my TV, sometimes the accents tell a 1000 words
the colour spin on it was from you, plenty of East European thieves down here, none up there?

It is not "racist" to point out the obvious.

Every time somone points out the obvious the PC crew shout racist. This causes more resentment.
It is also a one way street,; we have two ongoing incidents down here ; one where a gang of asian youths set about a lone schoolboy with a hammer, because he showed "no respect"He bumped into ne in a school corridor.
this however is not "racist"
Unlike the two youths who retaliated against agression from an asian bus driver down here, which was "racist"

I lived in South London for 40 years, worked with immigrant guys from all backgrounds, and in a street which was all immigrant shopkeepers, one of whose application for citizenship I sponsered; An asian.
As it was a motor trade business, most of my customers were black, I sold it to an Indian, and am welcomed heartily by him when I visit. I left because of harrassement from white indigenous rubbish apeing the culture of some kinds of ghetto mentality immigrants.
I also shared a flat for some years with a girl from Cameroon, now if you want real racist abuse, you should listen to an African against a West Indian or any other kind of West African against a Nigerian.
But that of course is OK?

Sorry nasaroc its the likes of you not me that cause resentment, with your refusal to acknowledge the obvious.
If that you think that makes me racist, its your right, but you are so so wrong.
It is ever obvious that an ever increasing crime rate can be laid at the door of recent arrivals, that is why there is a disproportunate number of them in our prisons, oh I forgot they are all innocent victims of racism aren't they?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think we have strayed too far from the subject of this thread so I'm closing it. Sorry.

Admin